Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,482,676 times

Advertisements

A few facts:

1) When the KOMO story mentioned that the memo was internal, they failed to specify that this memo was specific to the Office of Civil Rights. I don't believe anyone outside of that department had seen the memo when it was leaked, and even now, the memo itself has been made a legend even though it most likely was reflective of the ruminations of a handful of individuals. It definitely was not a citywide memo.

2) Considering the department's raison d'etre is civil rights, I'm not particularly moved by this as-yet unseen memo. This is what they are paid to ponder on, and that's not all that surprising.

Had it come from the SPD, however, THEN I would be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,790 times
In Montana, we just shoot ya if you complain too much.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Being a U.S. citizen is "offensive"?

Old 08-04-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba_yaga View Post
They do have a concrete point on how the word "citizen" isn't inclusive enough. Not everyone who lives here is a citizen, but the county still seves them.
Yeah, but we are discussing the city of Seattle, not King County.

Harrier is certain that there are many non-citizens living in Seattle as well, but why should their presence be tolerated, unless they are here on a legitimate visa?

Are you a supporter of illegal immigration?

Old 08-04-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You think we should start a petition drive to change "penmanship" to "penpersonship"?
YES!

Along with changing the "Hammering Man" at SAM to the "Hammering Person"!

Last edited by Harrier; 08-05-2013 at 12:36 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Even the best comedians use the same material over and over again. It can be part of your Vegas schtick if you ever take the act on the road.
Or on Almost Live.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,057 times
You keep all your money in a big brown bag inside a zoo.
What a thing to do.
Baby you're a rich man too

Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
A few facts:

1) When the KOMO story mentioned that the memo was internal, they failed to specify that this memo was specific to the Office of Civil Rights. I don't believe anyone outside of that department had seen the memo when it was leaked, and even now, the memo itself has been made a legend even though it most likely was reflective of the ruminations of a handful of individuals. It definitely was not a citywide memo.

2) Considering the department's raison d'etre is civil rights, I'm not particularly moved by this as-yet unseen memo. This is what they are paid to ponder on, and that's not all that surprising.

Had it come from the SPD, however, THEN I would be surprised.
Incorrect. The memo was sent to all PR people for all city agencies. Every agency has a PR person, i.e. spokesperson, i.e. public affairs person these days. It definitely was a citywide memo.
Political correctness: ‘Brown bag,’ ‘citizens’ are out at City Hall | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News - seattlepi.com

Why do you feel the need to defend this idiocy, anyway?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
I think this is what happens when you have no political diversity. The extremists just tend to reinforce each other and you end up getting silly stuff like this that likely would have been shot down in the meeting by others with a different point of view. When everyone thinks the same, even silly things seem normal.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
By using the term "person" you are excluding other animals who deserve just as much respect as homo sapiens. Pencarbonbasedlifeformship" is more inclusive. You're such a hater.
Well so are you now that you mention it. By saying "pen" anything, you are describing writing which is an exclusively human thing. The correct way to be all inclusive here is to say, "opennonverbalvisual communication".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area