Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM

157 posts, read 306,295 times

Advertisements

I see your PC police are still on duty. But the KOMO editor is not. Fifth graph down, it's "sordid history," not "sorted history." Oh, and that headline...

City officials urge ban on 'potentionally offensive' language | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

SEATTLE - An internal memo at Seattle City Hall is causing quite a stir. It suggests government workers no longer use the terms "citizen," or "brown bag."

According to the Office for Civil Rights, the terms are potentially offensive and other words should be used.
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Count David; 08-03-2013 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: click the link for the article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times
What on earth is their objection to the word "birthday"?!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM

143 posts, read 395,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
What on earth is their objection to the word "birthday"?!
Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
I don't want to offend anybody by using language they'd find offensive, but doesn't the City Council have anything better to do?

Old 08-02-2013, 05:22 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Lucky for the Brown Bag Cafe that they're in Kirkland so the idiots in Seattle can't shut them down for being "racist".

And people wonder why some can't stand Seattle? It's because the people vote for politicians who do things like this.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 PM

164 posts, read 430,413 times
We all know its silly, but there are plenty of people out there willing to make a fuss over silly things.

For example, I grew up calling chocolate sprinkles "jimmies." Some of you probably feel that is racist. (Hint: it isn't.)

They do have a concrete point on how the word "citizen" isn't inclusive enough. Not everyone who lives here is a citizen, but the county still seves them.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I don't want to offend anybody by using language they'd find offensive, but doesn't the City Council have anything better to do?
No, this city council has nothing better to do. Yet somehow the citizens - er, residents vote them in.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Can you please refer to City Council as "Circle of People from Places"? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 PM

265 posts, read 722,705 times
All of its ridiculous. People who have nothing better to do can ALWAYS find something to complain about because they are not otherwise occupied. Some people feel the need to be offended, for attention if nothing else. Righteous indignation can often make people feel important. And as far as the city council they made it clear how many MONTHS and man hours it took to find all these words in different laws so regardless of anyone's opinion it was NOT worth the hundred's of thousands of dollars worth of man hours it took to remove the "offensive" words from paperwork.

And the word "man" is NOT gender specific! When used in words such as freshman or penmanship it means mankind and that is NOT offensive. Anyone who has an issue with it there is something wrong with.

And here is the definition of the word Citizen:
Noun
A legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized.
An inhabitant of a particular town or city.
HOW in God's name can that be offensive! It covers BOTH spectrum's of Seattle's inhabitants.

Also it always amazes me how people have issues with any word that might denote color but the word (I hear it thrown around a lot, especially if you are not liberal) is red-neck. Do you KNOW how offensive that is? And not because it is now associated with people of low education and wealth. It originally came from Scotland because when the Scots fought the English--at a time when they were no longer allowed to wear their tartans-- they would paint RED SPOTS on the back of their necks to identify each other in battle. The Scottish were one of your earliest repressed races. They had to do this because their enemies, in order to remove their identity and civilize them, made them give up part of their heritage so they fought to get it back, painting their necks so they didn't kill themselves by accident. The word came to the USA when those who were tired of English oppression jumped the pond and settled in the first available areas--much of it in the mountains and down south where the rich English business had not yet taken over. So as a person of Scottish Heritage I really should be offended when someone uses that word but I am not because it really has nothing to do with me, like so many of these old saying have nothing to do with anyone in this modern age.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
All of its ridiculous. People who have nothing better to do can ALWAYS find something to complain about because they are not otherwise occupied. Some people feel the need to be offended, for attention if nothing else. Righteous indignation can often make people feel important. And as far as the city council they made it clear how many MONTHS and man hours it took to find all these words in different laws so regardless of anyone's opinion it was NOT worth the hundred's of thousands of dollars worth of man hours it took to remove the "offensive" words from paperwork.

And the word "man" is NOT gender specific! When used in words such as freshman or penmanship it means mankind and that is NOT offensive. Anyone who has an issue with it there is something wrong with.

And here is the definition of the word Citizen:
Noun
A legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized.
An inhabitant of a particular town or city.
HOW in God's name can that be offensive! It covers BOTH spectrum's of Seattle's inhabitants.

Also it always amazes me how people have issues with any word that might denote color but the word (I hear it thrown around a lot, especially if you are not liberal) is red-neck. Do you KNOW how offensive that is? And not because it is now associated with people of low education and wealth. It originally came from Scotland because when the Scots fought the English--at a time when they were no longer allowed to wear their tartans-- they would paint RED SPOTS on the back of their necks to identify each other in battle. The Scottish were one of your earliest repressed races. They had to do this because their enemies, in order to remove their identity and civilize them, made them give up part of their heritage so they fought to get it back, painting their necks so they didn't kill themselves by accident. The word came to the USA when those who were tired of English oppression jumped the pond and settled in the first available areas--much of it in the mountains and down south where the rich English business had not yet taken over. So as a person of Scottish Heritage I really should be offended when someone uses that word but I am not because it really has nothing to do with me, like so many of these old saying have nothing to do with anyone in this modern age.
You think we should start a petition drive to change "penmanship" to "penpersonship"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area