Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 6,174 times

Advertisements

City -Data Gurus

We moved here from Portland a year ago and are seeking recommendations on areas to buy our house that we plan to be in for the long haul. Currently renting in Ballard.

These are the details
1. Two kids under 5 - one that is special needs for hearing and speech
2. Work downtown - off hours 10am-8pm
3. We do love the walkable feel, coffee shops , breweries, farmers market
4. But.. #1 priority is schools ,(special needs as well) a 4 bed house, enough space for frequent guests. Parks , safe etc
5. Budget $700k-$825k
6. I do not work in tech

Any ideas are appreciated !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,360,346 times
First off, how do you find Ballard? Schools there are considered among the best in the Seattle district, but the district, despite some excellent schools, is noted for inefficient bureaucracy. Are you comfortable in the suburbs if it meant better schools? Within Seattle, there are lots of neighborhoods noted for good schools and walkability, like Ballard, Phinney, Greenwood, Wallingford, Ravenna, and Wedgwood. You will often get a larger house in the suburbs for the same amount of money. So schools are #1, right? Do you have any feelings about Seattle schools? Neighborhood is next? Where walkability, coffee shops, etc is nice? And thirdly, the house itself? Meaning, if you found a house where the schools were good and the walkability was great, would you be willing to put up with an older home, or do you prefer an older home? Or would you rather have a newer home maybe more suitable to your needs, with good schools, but be willing to trade the walkability?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:12 PM

Hi Ira500. Your posts are always helpful.

Not that knowledgable about the Seattle schools. Sounds like high schools are where they fall off even in these areas? The other issue is not sure if Seattle School would have the same resources for a special need kid.

Don't need a McMansion but I do want my own parking for 2 cars. I don't have the know how or time to fix up older homes so it would have to be an updated house or new construction in Seattle.

I'm reluctantly considering Eastside but Kirkland, Sammimish seem better for us than Belleuve for some reason

Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
I live in Sammamish and commute to downtown, but most days take the 216 bus to Westlake and walk the rest of the way. Driving it takes about 40 minutes via I90, a little less on 520 but with a toll. the Lake WA district does have great special needs programs, that applies to both Sammamish and Kirkland. Here you can still buy new at or just above your budget, and can get a 20 year old nice home for $600,000 on about 1/3 acre lot. You can't beat the safety and we have a lot of parks, 3 of them at lakes, but only Tully's and Starbucks for coffee, very few good restaurants, 1 good cafe, and pretty much nothing is walkable. You can get what you want near downtown Kirkland, north of Central, West of Market but for the size/age home you want the budget will be a problem.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:08 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,887,031 times
Why not stay in Ballard?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks Hemlock, Pine Lake and Beaver Lake both seem nice. Any big difference between North and South ? Sounds like both Issaquah (south) and Lake Washington schools are great. Any idea what traffic is like 9-9:30 in the morning to downtown?

Ballard - looking outside of this area for schools, newer home, and a little more space

Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,883,461 times
While Shoreline and Lake Forest Park do not have DT cores, they could suit your other needs otherwise.

I have several Deaf friends who grew up in the Edmonds School District. I am not sure if you're looking for a Deaf program, but they have a small decent one.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM

We do plan to check out Lake Forest Park. Not sure at this point on the deaf programs but looking into them.

Is Lake Forest Park a neighborhood In Shoreline ?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,483,828 times
Lake Forest Park is its own city, a planned community made up almost entirely of residential homes:

Lake Forest Park, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,414,005 times
Don't do it! Friends don't let friends move to the Eastside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area