Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times

Advertisements

If you like chicken, try Muy Macho Taqueria in South Park - yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:17 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
I like Poquitos in Capitol Hill. I love sitting at the bar to watch sports, have a beer and eat. I like the interior feel. They have some good Vegetarian options as I'm Vegetarian.

I lived in the SF Bay for a long time and then San Diego. San Diego had some great MX food, but so many places only had re-fried beans. I can't do re-fried beans, has to be whole, pinto or black. I also don't like to eat in the divey type joints anymore like I used to. I have to have fresh ingredients and steamed tortillas. SF had more MX places with fresh ingredients and healthy tortillas, and healthier bean choices.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 AM

309 posts, read 760,073 times
"Mexico" in Pacific Place Mall in Downtown Seattle is not bad. I like to eat there before or after seeing a movie.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
La Costa in Burien is pretty good. Magnolia's El Ranchon is good as well. Althought not quite as good as it used to be, La Palma on 15th a few blocks north of Dravus is still pretty good. I also love Torreros on Rainier in Renton (in front of the Fred Meyer).

Old 09-16-2013, 01:09 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
La Fuente in Renton. Great fast service, Best Salsa I've had from a restaurant.
Ah yes another good one. And to add to my list above, Viva Mexico in White Center isn't bad either.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
La Costa in Burien is pretty good. Magnolia's El Ranchon is good as well. Althought not quite as good as it used to be, La Palma on 15th a few blocks north of Dravus is still pretty good. I also love Torreros on Rainier in Renton (in front of the Fred Meyer).
Torero's has moved from in front of Fred Meyer to The Landing.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
I've noticed it even over the past decade. Many more good options these days. I'm sure that the growing Mexican-American community has a lot to do with it. I'm going to have to try some of the suggestions in this thread. I think I learned about Taqueria La Venadita in Issaquah on City-Data years ago, and it's become a favorite of ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If you only go to Mexican restaurants in neighborhoods where there aren't many Mexicans, you'll tend to get less than a great product. But in actuality, there are great Mexican restaurants in the Seattle area. It's one area where we've improved a lot. When I got here in 1977, there was nothing.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
The Mexican food in Seattle utterly sucks and is grossly overpriced. Many Mexican restaurants in Seattle will even charge you for chips and salsa. Like this one crappy place in Ballard, where my servers were all white hipsters (not Mexicans) wanted me to pay $3 for a single serving of chips/salsa. I think the place was called Senor Moose. I walked right out.
Senor Moose is actually a great restaurants that serves a good representation of regional Mexican food. It's actually pretty authentic as far as the range of dishes go and the Mole Colorodito was excellent the last time I was visiting friends in Ballard. I know, because I've actually stayed in Mexico for extended periods of time all over central and southern Mexico in places like Oaxaca and Guanajuato and DF so I've eaten the real thing for years. As far as the servers being white, well considering how many non-Mexican restaurants have Mexican servers, who cares(I think the cooks at Senior Moose are Mexican anyhow). At least Senor Moose is doing better stuff than the standard American "wet burrito" type of places that are more Tex-Mex than Mexican.

Sure it's true that often the best food of a certain culture is found in those neighborhoods with more of the culture present, but it doesn't mean there aren't exceptions. Hell, there's a ton of Thai-owned (or Vietnamese-run) Thai restaurants in Seattle and Portland that all have basically the exact same menu and are sort of boring--yet a white guy actually runs one of the only Thai restaurants in Portland that actually has an interesting menu with variations on Thai street food(not just red curry/yellow curry/green curry/pad thai like most places). Basically though--anyone can learn to cook anything with some effort. Some of the best chefs working in French restaurants might be Mexican these days.

Last edited by Deezus; 09-16-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
The Mexican food in Seattle utterly sucks and is grossly overpriced. Many Mexican restaurants in Seattle will even charge you for chips and salsa. Like this one crappy place in Ballard, where my servers were all white hipsters (not Mexicans) wanted me to pay $3 for a single serving of chips/salsa. I think the place was called Senor Moose. I walked right out.
Interestingly, the first person to recommend Sr Moose to me was from Mexico. Likewise with La Carta de Oaxaca it was recommended by a hispanic neighbor that has been vacationing in Oaxaca for the past few decades.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Well, maybe I will just have to give Senor Moose another chance and overlook the $3.50 (or however much it was) chips/salsa offense and the fact that my servers are white dudes with tattoos and piercings. I guess I do have my own vision of what proper Mexican restaurtants are suppose to be. But, if the food is as good and authentic as people say, it may be worth paying the extra money to try a dish. I will miss not having chips/salsa with my meal, as I refuse to pay that price for chips/salsa, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area