Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Give it credit, Bothell is doing a lot of things right. Have you been to the shops at Country Village?

Country Village | Unique Shopping Experience in Bothell Washington

Here is a timeline of Bothell Landing and downtown Bothell's redevelopment:

Bothell Landing - Downtown Revitalization - Timeline

McMenamins bought the Anderson School in downtown Bothell to turn it into a brewery/hotel and it's opening is scheduled for October 15th:

For a long time downtown Bothell, WA was cute, small and adorably outdated. Compared to just a few years ago, downtown Bothell is rapidly growing unrecognizable. Well, except for the old Anderson School. We reported a long time ago about McMenamins and the plan to save and re-purpose the old school and create a multidimensional community space. (See our previous posts about this project.)

Today we report that the completion of that project is now in sight, and we’ve got more details about what you should expect. The scheduled opening in October 15th. They’re now accepting reservations at the hotel. They will soon begin hiring.

McMenamins Bothell project exceeds expectations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:49 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
I live in Bothell and am a little stumped by this as well. I look at the timeline on the website and all they talk about are the streets and the park. I thought this was hyped to be some cool town center type of place, like you see in Mill Creek or even Redmond? But instead all they've done is build a couple of apartment buildings. I sure hope it'll end up being more than that, but it just doesn't look like there is any design for anything more than what we are seeing going up now.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I live in Bothell and am a little stumped by this as well. I look at the timeline on the website and all they talk about are the streets and the park. I thought this was hyped to be some cool town center type of place, like you see in Mill Creek or even Redmond? But instead all they've done is build a couple of apartment buildings. I sure hope it'll end up being more than that, but it just doesn't look like there is any design for anything more than what we are seeing going up now.
I see the changes in Bothell and while I wish the drivers license place was still there, they really are working on redevelopment. They have just agreed to preserve the Wayne Golf Course too:

Deal reached to save Bothell's Wayne Golf Course

That's 39 acres that won't be developed by the Burke-Gilman Trail.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:51 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
People were talking up Bothell back in 2006 during the height of the bubble, and nothing became of it. I'm still skeptical that the area is going to have a massive transformation. If you look at the kind of development that has gone on out there in the past decade it's all cheap suburban sprawl.

The landing renovation is interesting, but it's taken a long time to re-develop. The building McMennamins bought, along with the rest of that stretch of road looks even more run down than it did 20 years ago. It might *pop* all of a sudden and become a real downtown, but who knows. Apparently the Northshore pool complex has been boarded up for half a decade.

That area went all ghetto.
Bothell is the ghetto?? Were you raised in Medina, by any chance??

Old 06-03-2015, 02:57 PM

haha My thoughts exactly! There is nothing cheap about the suburban sprawl that is happening in Bothell. I live in the new development areas in the north creek area on 39th Ave, and it is beautiful- the developments are very nice, with beautiful homes and nice landscaping. The absolute lowest I see any of those new homes going for is mid to upper $400K's- with most in the $500's and $600's. So if you want cheap you need to look elsewhere, not bothell.

Bothell is a great area- but as I said in another post I am disappointed in the Bothell Landing, as I was under the impression it would be sort of a mini suburban/urban town center but in reality all it appears it's going to be is a couple new businesses and a few apartment buildings along with the newly redone road and park there.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
haha My thoughts exactly! There is nothing cheap about the suburban sprawl that is happening in Bothell. I live in the new development areas in the north creek area on 39th Ave, and it is beautiful- the developments are very nice, with beautiful homes and nice landscaping. The absolute lowest I see any of those new homes going for is mid to upper $400K's- with most in the $500's and $600's. So if you want cheap you need to look elsewhere, not bothell.

Bothell is a great area- but as I said in another post I am disappointed in the Bothell Landing, as I was under the impression it would be sort of a mini suburban/urban town center but in reality all it appears it's going to be is a couple new businesses and a few apartment buildings along with the newly redone road and park there.
Did you read that article about the McMenamins opening on October 15th in downtown Bothell?

This is the grandest McMenamins project to date in Washington: 5 acres, 90,000 square feet, $30 million. Have you been to the Edgefield in Troutdale, Oregon? If not, you should go. It’s like Disneyland for drinking adults. Anderson School is going to be like a slightly scaled-down Edgefield.
It will include a 72-room hotel, a brewery, restaurants, bars, a first-run movie theater, meeting spaces, and even a swimming pool. The old gym, the old lunchroom, the old shop, all of it. New life!

A New Pool
Not just any swimming pool, this will be a near-Olympic-size, heated-saltwater pool, with an overlooking tiki bar. It will not be your typical swimming pool. Expect fountains that randomly open fire on bathers. Expect thunder and… It’s gonna be so cool!

Beer, Food and More
The brewery will be a brand new, copper-kettle, 10-barrel system. They’ll produce all the McMenamins standards, plus some small-batch, one-off beers. If you’re like me, you love McMenamins more than you do the beer, so let’s hope the “small-batch, one-off” beers exceed our expectations.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Did you read that article about the McMenamins opening on October 15th in downtown Bothell?

This is the grandest McMenamins project to date in Washington: 5 acres, 90,000 square feet, $30 million. Have you been to the Edgefield in Troutdale, Oregon? If not, you should go. It’s like Disneyland for drinking adults. Anderson School is going to be like a slightly scaled-down Edgefield.
It will include a 72-room hotel, a brewery, restaurants, bars, a first-run movie theater, meeting spaces, and even a swimming pool. The old gym, the old lunchroom, the old shop, all of it. New life!

A New Pool
Not just any swimming pool, this will be a near-Olympic-size, heated-saltwater pool, with an overlooking tiki bar. It will not be your typical swimming pool. Expect fountains that randomly open fire on bathers. Expect thunder and… It’s gonna be so cool!

Beer, Food and More
The brewery will be a brand new, copper-kettle, 10-barrel system. They’ll produce all the McMenamins standards, plus some small-batch, one-off beers. If you’re like me, you love McMenamins more than you do the beer, so let’s hope the “small-batch, one-off” beers exceed our expectations.

I did, and that is definitely a great addition.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I did, and that is definitely a great addition.
I live in Woodinville, not Bothell but I think it's easy for a suburban town to get passive and Bothell doesn't seem to be doing that.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:48 PM

520 posts, read 532,321 times
The University alone will anchor and build Bothell for decades. Its going to keep growing exponentially.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
The absolute lowest I see any of those new homes going for is mid to upper $400K's- with most in the $500's and $600's. So if you want cheap you need to look elsewhere, not bothell.
Generally anything new over 3000 sq ft would be close to $1M in North Seattle, whereas in Bothell it's $550K. For similar schools to Bothell, well over $1M. New houses this size in Ballard have been closing in the $1.1-$1.3M range. Bothell is typically priced about 40% less.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bothell/20.../home/56811296
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area