Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that many, MANY people move to Seattle because they are gay, not religious or not the religion of their parents and/or are just starting over. Hence, they are of course going to have less family ties...a gay agnostic who moves away from the family in the South that rejected him is not going to have the strongest family ties on the planet.

As for the rest, I have to say this about Seattle's social scene compared to the rest of the country: in Seattle, there are plenty of transplants looking for friends. Compare this to other places in the country where nobody is a transplant and everyone has been hanging out with the same people since high school.

I moved here a few years ago and didn't find it hard to make friends as many people also wanted to make friends...compare that to being the only person in your town who wants to meet new people.

Honestly, what is the logical choice for someone who wants to expand their social circles: a place like Seattle full of people who also want more friends or a place where you are the only one who wants new friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Keep in mind that many, MANY people move to Seattle because they are gay, not religious or not the religion of their parents and/or are just starting over. Hence, they are of course going to have less family ties...a gay agnostic who moves away from the family in the South that rejected him is not going to have the strongest family ties on the planet.

As for the rest, I have to say this about Seattle's social scene compared to the rest of the country: in Seattle, there are plenty of transplants looking for friends. Compare this to other places in the country where nobody is a transplant and everyone has been hanging out with the same people since high school.

I moved here a few years ago and didn't find it hard to make friends as many people also wanted to make friends...compare that to being the only person in your town who wants to meet new people.

Honestly, what is the logical choice for someone who wants to expand their social circles: a place like Seattle full of people who also want more friends or a place where you are the only one who wants new friends?
I live in the Seattle suburbs which is exactly the way you describe. Tacoma and the suburbs of Seattle are hard places to make friends because they are places where people grew up and already have well established social groups. The Eastside might have some advantages, as many people move there from other places for work.

Even though I am pretty right wing, religious, conservative, I wish I had the money to live in Seattle, because I feel it would be easier to make friends there with transplants than with the homebodies that populate the South Sound, where I live. It is all older families with kids and every event around here revolved around being with the family and friends you have had for a long time. Also, everything is very church-oriented, which isn't desirable for a Jewish guy like me. The South Sound probably is like many places throughout the United States, I am starting to realize.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:57 PM

183 posts, read 295,473 times
I believe the depth of any system is in its (a sense of humor is a must I believe) gears mpving parts so to speak and any freeze or so thought freeze is a well passing kind reason well entropy how deep well I am kinda sceptical about the nature of entropy so depends on who is asking
"a patton quote comes to mind"

Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM

183 posts, read 295,473 times
as in sometimes one knows "the one who should not" knda
the code
There was, there always was, at the start and finish… the Code. They lived by the Code. You followed the Code, and you became part of the Code for those who followed you. The Code was it. Without the Code, you weren't a hero. You were just a thug in a loincloth.
too sentimental for my taste but I intend to digress sue me

Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 AM

458 posts, read 958,302 times
Vancouver BC is a very friendly outgoing city!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I live in the Seattle suburbs which is exactly the way you describe. Tacoma and the suburbs of Seattle are hard places to make friends because they are places where people grew up and already have well established social groups. The Eastside might have some advantages, as many people move there from other places for work.

Even though I am pretty right wing, religious, conservative, I wish I had the money to live in Seattle, because I feel it would be easier to make friends there with transplants than with the homebodies that populate the South Sound, where I live. It is all older families with kids and every event around here revolved around being with the family and friends you have had for a long time. Also, everything is very church-oriented, which isn't desirable for a Jewish guy like me. The South Sound probably is like many places throughout the United States, I am starting to realize.
First, as long as you aren't trying to shove your beliefs down people's throats, nobody in Seattle is going to care.I am left of center but I'm also 150% pro gun and no one here cares...hell, going to the range is kind of the newest trend for Seattle hipsters.

I would suggest moving closer to Seattle, like maybe Shoreline or Kent. Not too expensive and you still have access to "fresh blood" people who also want to be social.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
So Seattle is one of the least social cities while they list Indianapolis as one of the cities with strongest social ties ?

I must be weird, since my experience has been completely opposite of that and I've lived in both cities for long periods of time.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 PM

157 posts, read 306,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The San Fran Bay Area has a high percentage of transplants, tech workers, and singles, but there's no freeze. Maybe it's because of the great weather?
I'll tell you right now the Bay Area really is no better. In some ways its worse because of so many transplants from overseas.

(now hear come the racist accusations)

The Indians are probably the most insular. They may be friendly to non-Indian co-workers but in my experience that's as far as it goes. I lived near Oracle and heard more Hindi than any other language, and they always stayed with their own. Really, that doesn't bother me. Want to be with your own kind? Fine.

The Chinese were a mixed bag. The non-English speakers tended to be more closed off, but that was likely more due to language. The assimilated ones were much better and more open.

SF's black population is miniscule. There were some in Hunter's Point but they are being pushed out to Oakland, Hayward and even further into the East Bay by the obscene cost of living in SF. I knew 4-5 black people in SF and funny thing, every one of them was in a mixed marriage.

I've heard a complaint on here that Seattle women don't make themselves look attractive. A friend and I made this same observation about SF. It was like they went out of their way to look drab and plain.

But in general I found SF people incredibly inconsiderate and almost blind to the fact there were other human beings in the world other than themselves. I once told my mother that the most useless words in the supermarket were "excuse me." It was pointless. People just didn't respond. It was like that everywhere. People will drive 50 in the high speed land and absolutely refuse to move. Hold the door coming in or out of a store? Forget it. Common courtesy is as common in San Francisco as Republican politics.

So... I don't have experience with Seattlites, only visited there 15 years ago for a few days. But I'd still like to give it a try. You can't be worse than what I put up with.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:11 PM

157 posts, read 306,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Why go to Seattle over SF or West LA, where you have massive gay enclaves?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Patrizio View Post
I'll tell you right now the Bay Area really is no better. In some ways its worse because of so many transplants from overseas.

(now hear come the racist accusations)

The Indians are probably the most insular. They may be friendly to non-Indian co-workers but in my experience that's as far as it goes. I lived near Oracle and heard more Hindi than any other language, and they always stayed with their own. Really, that doesn't bother me. Want to be with your own kind? Fine.

The Chinese were a mixed bag. The non-English speakers tended to be more closed off, but that was likely more due to language. The assimilated ones were much better and more open.

SF's black population is miniscule. There were some in Hunter's Point but they are being pushed out to Oakland, Hayward and even further into the East Bay by the obscene cost of living in SF. I knew 4-5 black people in SF and funny thing, every one of them was in a mixed marriage.

I've heard a complaint on here that Seattle women don't make themselves look attractive. A friend and I made this same observation about SF. It was like they went out of their way to look drab and plain.

But in general I found SF people incredibly inconsiderate and almost blind to the fact there were other human beings in the world other than themselves. I once told my mother that the most useless words in the supermarket were "excuse me." It was pointless. People just didn't respond. It was like that everywhere. People will drive 50 in the high speed land and absolutely refuse to move. Hold the door coming in or out of a store? Forget it. Common courtesy is as common in San Francisco as Republican politics.

So... I don't have experience with Seattlites, only visited there 15 years ago for a few days. But I'd still like to give it a try. You can't be worse than what I put up with.
You sound like you're talking mainly about the city of SF, not so much about the Bay Area as a whole. I find Berkeley, Oakland, Marin, Benicia and Lafayette/Walnut Creek to be pretty friendly. People say hello just passing in the street. I've found that to be true to some extent in SF, as well.

And what does Bay Area women's attractiveness have to do with anything? (off-topic) Some of them are the friendliest people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area