Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times

Advertisements

Ok, since “everybody” seem to want to keep discussing the so-called “Seattle freeze,” I’ll lift the informal moratorium and you can have at it.

I imposed this supposed moratorium because months ago we had about 4 or 5 threads going on the subject and many, many flame wars. I can count about 6 threads that have either been deleted entirely or closed.

What was happening is that we were arguing over and over the same set of points. I really got tired of it and wanted to give it a rest. So I began deleting posts by new members that brought up either that Seattle Times article of 2005 or the P.I. article which is years old too. Somebody was bringing either of those two articles up at least once a week as if it was new news.

Since it seems that just about everybody wants to keep rehashing this “freeze” concept, have at it in this thread.

I want to keep it to this thread so that we don’t have 5 or 6 different threads going on it at the same time as we did last year. It really makes it difficult for a moderator to sift through all that on one subject in several different threads. It is a disservice to the members seeking information also.

Most of you know how I feel about the subject. If not, go back and do a search.

Keep it civil. Please, no personal attacks. All discussion will take place in this thread. Not to say that posts will be deleted if brought up in another thread but if a discussion starts in another thread about this topic, the series of posts will either be deleted or the conversation will be directed here.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

--’rocco

Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

40 posts, read 179,551 times
OK, in a nut shell can I get an explanation of what you are talking about??? What is the Seattle freeze?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease

Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM

69 posts, read 345,241 times
K, regarding Seattle attitude, I'd still like a comment on whether people say things like "I'm going to kill you" in public, to volunteers doing volunteer work - and what context is something like that said, that even the newspaper reporter commented on it. Is this a sense of humor type thing? Are verbal threats in public blase?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Obviously people do it, because as you say - you saw it on TV... but that doesn't mean that the streets are running rampant with this sort of behavior. I mean, come on... common sense.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM

69 posts, read 345,241 times
I have to say, I was really happily surprised - early during lunch I made a call to an apt to inquire about availability. In between rents and deposits and applications, this wonderful person completely opened up, used first names, talked to me about the problem of car theft, and how hers was stolen, what they know now to keep it from being stolen, about what the earthquake was like, what I did for a living, recommended a job for me regarding who's hiring, gave us info about our commutes and best routes, information on crime in the area, and talked to me like I've known her for years, for about 40 minutes. That's not something I've had happen, anywhere. She seems like a nice person to have living in your apt. And that was just the first call. (And she had nothing to sell me, because she was completely booked. She was just talking just to share information.) Insider information! Great job to her!

Definitely no reserve/freeze there. I'm sure it really does depend. Anyway, my good experience/2 cents.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
yeah I kind of agree there, I think the possibility of hearing that in *any* major US city area is not that farfetched, and certainly not particular to Seattle. In most cases I'd chalk it up to a kid who was just trying to get a reaction, the irony being that the reaction could be being thrown in jail for making a death threat.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:43 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjuliek View Post
Definitely no reserve/freeze there. I'm sure it really does depend. Anyway, my good experience/2 cents.
Do keep in mind that people are extremely polite in Seattle, I don't think you'll hear many suggest otherwise. If you read CityGirl's reference to the article above, I hate to say it, but it's kind of true. I even do it myself (subconciously, not aware of it) and I'm not a long time resident. My reasons for being standoffish sometimes may be due to a busy schedule (although you wouldn't think that by all my posts today), more than just adapting to the cliquish atmosphere that exists.

Off topic a little but about crime, you definitely should have a good car security system in metro Seattle. A man was arrested recently for stealing 150 cars in 6 months. That was an extreme case but theft is the predominate crime here - I prefer it to violent crime though.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjuliek View Post
K, regarding Seattle attitude, I'd still like a comment on whether people say things like "I'm going to kill you" in public, to volunteers doing volunteer work - and what context is something like that said, that even the newspaper reporter commented on it. Is this a sense of humor type thing? Are verbal threats in public blase?
Why are you so hung up on this? It was an isolated incident which could have happened anywhere. You can't extrapolate an entire metropolis' sense of humor from one random comment on the news. Like jenbar said...c'mon......

Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM

22 posts, read 124,256 times
I'm going to be coming to Seattle from the "south" which as we all know is the land of supposed hospitality and neighborly warmth. And granted if your neighbor was in trouble with anything but the law you would help them out. In the same breath you have to realize that at least where I live now, my next door neighbor is 20 acres away. The fact that people are stand offish doesn't really bother me and really shouldn't bother anyone else. People are people, you just accept them the way they are and do your best to not put them in your box of social manner acceptance.
The question that I have is one that personally I think is much more important than "closeness" or "acceptance"..........in the south the country people or "rednecks" (which I am one of) do have a strong sense of fairness and honesty. I'm not saying that they won't lie to you but especially among the "real" country folks there is still a sense of honor and genuine respect. So whereas I don't really care if you want to be acquaintances or not, just don't stab me in the back..................since it's the thought that if people won't invest the time in getting to you, they will stab you in the back if they have the chance or choice.................what is your take on this aspect as it relates to Seattle............if I'm throwing gas on the flame war then please forgive me, but as a trans-planted southerner its good to know the lay of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area