Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 22,900 times

Advertisements

I got a job in Bothell and am moving end of June 2014. I'm a serious amateur photographer and the main incentive behind moving to the PNW is the incredible natural beauty. I'm avoiding hip/happening/noisy neighborhoods.
With that background, would you recommend living in Redmond, Kirkland or Bothell? Obviously living close to work has it's advantages but Redmond seems to have received a rating as the nation's 5th best small city to live in.
Redmond rated nation's 5th best small city to live in | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
My budget for a 1 BR is around $1300 and I found a few apartments within that budget in all of the aforementioned towns.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Bothell is changing a lot, the city is redeveloping at a rapid rate and you will get a nicer apartment for $1300. in Bothell than you will in Redmond or Kirkland. Redmond is very corporate, nice houses, etc. but if you are looking for picturesque, I would put the edge to Kirkland because it's on the waterfront. That said, they are all close to each other and this area is picturesque no matter what direction you look.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
As Seacove suggests, Bothell is transforming. Looking better all the time.

Redmond is also transforming, slowly but surely. I think through town is turning into an ever-more serious commute corridor. Judging by the transport programs in-progress, with another big one starting Monday. I take that way home these days from Issaquah.

Downtown Kirkland, in-contrast, may be what you're looking for "right now". We're mostly a bunch of tech execs and senior-manager type. Median age per Zillow is late 30s, I think.

In order of general housing expense, AFAIK (high to low): Kirkland-Redmond-Bothell.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
I love Bothell. It's pretty and quaint. You'll get more for your money and you'll be close to work! By comparison, I find Redmond a little sterile for some reason. And Kirkland is expensive, though worth the money if you can be close to downtown and the water.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:00 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
How does Kenmore fit in, compare to Bothell, Kirkland, ?

Old 06-14-2014, 02:04 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
How does Kenmore fit in, compare to Bothell, Kirkland, ?
Kenmore feels a little unsightly and industrial to me, though I'd live there if I could be close to or on Lake Washington or get a home on the slough.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Kenmore feels a little unsightly and industrial to me, though I'd live there if I could be close to or on Lake Washington or get a home on the slough.
Totally agree. Kenmore has a section of million dollar houses right on the water with private docks, etc. on the north Lake Washington shore but Kenmore straddles 522/NE Bothell Way which is full of street lights, traffic, industrial and eventually evolves into Lake City Way with pawn shops and the like. I know some defend Lake City but to me, they need to make 522 a real highway through there and leave NE Bothell Way for street traffic. Then ask Bothell how to redevelop along it because - what a mess.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times
Keep in mind that the further away that you live from your work, the more you are subjecting yourself to some hellacious traffic! Living in Redmond means being affected by Microsoft traffic, and you don't want that.

As far as expense goes, from most expensive to least expensive:

Downtown Kirkland -> Redmond -> Rest of Kirkland -> Kenmore -> Bothell

If your job is in Bothell, there's no reason not to look there. It's the least expensive and the closest to your work, so traffic will be less of a concern.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 AM

17 posts, read 22,900 times
Some folks suggested looking at Woodinville too. Any thoughts?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:25 PM

Woodinville is adjacent to Bothell but has more of "country" feel because the houses are on mostly one acre +/-k lots and there are a lot of wineries, breweries, lavender, honey, cider and horse farms. There are apartments but not many, though the downtown is being redeveloped so there will be more going up in the central area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area