Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times

Advertisements

So we just moved to the Eastside and are planning to buy a house in Sammamish, because that seems to be the best bang for the buck place for a family - great schools, safe community, and not outrageously expensive houses.

It's very pretty there and the nature is lovely and it looks like a good place to raise kids and all that. However, one thing that I really don't like is how much the two retail centres suck! I mean, what it is up with that? A Safeway, a TJs (thank god for that at least), and a whole crapload of fast food places? Why?? It's an affluent, educated, West Coast community - probably people who are into good food, lots of upper-middle class families and stay at home moms, and the commercial scene is like something from a truck stop town! Are these people really into all the fast food???
I know they want to preserve the nature and I'm not saying put up a giant mall or something, but you could utilize the existing space to such better potential! This is a place that I could see good specialty/organic markets flourishing, why not a PCC or something similar? A good coffee shop (Sbux doesn't count), good bakeries/frozen yogurt/bagel shop, some beauty salons, a yoga studio, a boutique toy store or kids' bookstore, a good indoor playspace or children's cafe, etc etc. Not to mention some decent restaurants! There seems to be so much potential for great upscale business here and there must be a market for it with those demographics, without having to go all the way to Redmond or Issaquah for everything. If anyone is familiar with the Bay Area, Los Altos has done a fantastic job with a similar 'small town' community, with having so many great quaint little shops and kid-friendly places, it's fantastic. I just don't understand it - where are the planners looking? Or is there a reason for it?

And in the meantime - where do residents go to pick up some fresh, not-crazily-overpriced produce?? I'm used to having plenty of little independent markets and produce grocers around and I haven't seen any here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Last question first. Forget the Sammamish Farmer's Market on Wednesdays, go to the one in Issaquah May-October across from Costco on Saturday morning.

There are not more stores because:

People here really like it peaceful and quiet, with low crime and lot of trees/open space

We have anything we need 6 miles in either direction, Issaquah or Redmond

Property costs and commercial rents are high

You would probably like Issaquah Highlands better, just outside Sammamish and still on the plateau

Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
I agree with the IH rec. Sammamish wasn't built with the "smalltown community" masterplan that you're looking for. IH is about the closest. Mill Creek would be another option but I suspect you wouldn't like MC. I do remember your previous posts and honestly you're not going to find what you're looking for unless you put in waaay more money than the range you've mentioned before.

As for the overpriced produce, that's Washington for you. You're coming from California where the produce is affordable, comparitively.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Was it you that mentioned you weren't too thrilled about the Issaquah school boundaries? If not for that, Issaquah Highlands is probably the best you could do between the two communities for what you are looking for.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:56 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
And in the meantime - where do residents go to pick up some fresh, not-crazily-overpriced produce?? I'm used to having plenty of little independent markets and produce grocers around and I haven't seen any here.
That's why people move to Seattle. Sammamish is like that because the people who decide to move there don't put a high priority on having those amenities close by. Clearly the money is there, it's more that it's not what they spend it on, though I wouldn't be surprised if the wealthier folks have their servants go do the shopping for them elsewhere.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
That's why people move to Seattle. Sammamish is like that because the people who decide to move there don't put a high priority on having those amenities close by. Clearly the money is there, it's more that it's not what they spend it on, though I wouldn't be surprised if the wealthier folks have their servants go do the shopping for them elsewhere.
Really?? Out of allllll these houses and families that are there, no one would prefer to have something better than a Safeway to buy groceries at? I find that hard to believe.

I'm not suggesting they build a huge shopping complex. I was saying more in terms of using the space already there, along 228th - I just find it surprising that there are 5-6 bad fast food places between the two little plazas, and almost no independent shops/ cafes etc. Why wouldn't the city want to encourage more small local business rather than crappy chains? In my view, that would fit in a lot more with the 'quiet, peaceful' vision for the community than Mickey D's and Taco Time...

I seriously doubt that everyone who moves to Sammamish are doing so to get further away from convenient amenities I would think many, many families are like ourselves - choosing it for the schools, safety, and because it's still relatively affordable compared to places like Bellevue and Kirkland, but who would enjoy and spend their money on in-town amenities and local businesses if they were there - grabbing a coffee on a weekend morning, buying some fresh bread from an actual bakery, things like that...

Don't you think places like this would do fantastic if they were there?
Kids can crawl through tunnel from one side on treehouse to the other side! *Awesome!!! | Yelp
The NEW lobby. Colorful brick road style. | Yelp
French toast | Yelp

Last edited by EvilCookie; 07-12-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 03:28 PM

And yes, I did like IH, but didn't like the whole school overcrowding and redistricting thing and didn't want to risk it. Schools, as well as the neighbourhood's long-term value, was a priority for us over things like convenience and cute town feel. But that still doesn't mean we wouldn't have liked to have it! And I would imagine we're not the only ones who feel that way.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

As for the overpriced produce, that's Washington for you. You're coming from California where the produce is affordable, comparitively.
Well actually even in California I never bought produce at Safeway and rarely TJs because it was very overpriced there as well. Both there and when we lived in Vancouver I used to shop for produce at separate produce markets - they were usually ethnic/ international type markets, and tended to have a fantastic selection of cheap, fresh produce. I haven't seen these here, not even in Kirkland or Redmond so far...

Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Well actually even in California I never bought produce at Safeway and rarely TJs because it was very overpriced there as well. Both there and when we lived in Vancouver I used to shop for produce at separate produce markets - they were usually ethnic/ international type markets, and tended to have a fantastic selection of cheap, fresh produce. I haven't seen these here, not even in Kirkland or Redmond so far...
I wasn't even thinking of Safeway or TJ's when I made the comment. The thing is, you have to understand, the demography doesn't support that. Produce is going to be expensive because they know that you can afford those prices. Take a good look at Uwajimaya, it's an international/ethnic store, but not cheap.

You have to go to the "poor" areas to find those cheap good deals. So in the eastside, that really means you need to make your way to... Overlake or if you want to stretch the definition of the Eastside, Renton. Overlake has the Chinese store (across the street from Fred Meyer's), Asian Food Center. I should warn you that place smells funky. I know there's an Indian grocery, a Russian deli and also a Hispanic store in that general area.

With Renton, you can't really beat Viet-Wah.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
With Renton, you can't really beat Viet-Wah.
Yes you can. The DK Market at 7th and Lind in Renton has a much better selection and lower prices on produce than Viet Wah. And I like Viet Wah. The DK is an ethnic/international store, hugely fun to shop at, and inexpensive. Inside the DK market is an Indian restaurant, a Chinese herb store, and a Russian deli. Worth the trip from Sammamish if you're buying enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area