Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 11:41 AM

270 posts, read 838,577 times

Advertisements

I was told by a Seattle native that because of the liberal culture of the city, you'll see a lot of rallies and events held on the streets of Seattle. He said the same type of thing happens in San Francisco, and in both places it causes pretty severe traffic disruptions.

Is this true? How frequently do these things happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:55 AM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times
It can, and does happen, but not with very high frequency.

I'd recommend being aware of (and thus, able to allocate more travel time) key dates for major events (game days, Hempfest, Pride, etc.) that can snarl up traffic. These are more often the cause of traffic jams than random rallies/protests, so it's predictable for the most part.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:44 PM

426 posts, read 527,165 times
I think any major city has its disruptions in traffic. Rallies in Seattle do not stand out in my experience though.

The most noticeable disruptions I've seen is when either the sun comes out (and everybody starts driving someplace neat like Mt. Reindeer) or there is a Seahawks game.

During the game, you can walk the streets and it feels deserted because so many people are either inside or at a bar watching the game So it's both positive and negative, depending how you time it. Cancels itself out.

Now the overall traffic here in general, that's obviously different. Don't get me started

Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Lately the 99% movement did disrupt traffic and bus service a few times, but most of the time it's only the "May Day" event that's a problem. There are alternatives. Take the day off, or in my case drive that day and take an alternate route home. Hempfest is right near my office, in fact we get vendors selling bongs on our front steps and have to keep throwing them out. Still, it causes few problems for traffic since they are limited to that one area north of the sculpture park, and on Fridays a lot less people are working anyway.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:17 PM

269 posts, read 297,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
I was told by a Seattle native that because of the liberal culture of the city, you'll see a lot of rallies and events held on the streets of Seattle. He said the same type of thing happens in San Francisco, and in both places it causes pretty severe traffic disruptions.

Is this true? How frequently do these things happen?

On the scale that you are thinking - almost never.

Now and again there is some dumb group generally unable to get its act together, roaming around downtown making a lot of noise, and marching up the middle of one street, but they don't stay in one spot and block traffic.

When there is some cause of national or international significance, there may be some protest at the Federal Building, or the like, but even that is minimal, and easily avoided.

You'd get a more 'severe traffic disruption' with one man holed-up in his own apartment threatening suicide, on a main arterial to the north of central Seattle, than you ever would from any organized protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area