Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,547 times

Advertisements

Allforcats, thanks for posting that great link to ****. I went ahead and filled it out for fun and guess what, Seattle is on the list, along with many others I'd never think of. When I clicked on the Seattle link to get information about it, it actually said that there was less rain than in NY and Boston and that the summers are actually quite sunny, etc. and the rainfall doesn't begin until around Oct. That seems a little contradictory to what's been posted here. Is this info outdated or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
No, not contridictary

We say it's MOIST here, some call it mizzle, which is not quite mist and not quite drizzle

Actual rain fall does not happen as often as other states. You know how the rain hits the roof at night, like pitter pat...everyone loves that right? Okay, it doesn't happen too often

PS - I did ****.com, and no where on it is Seattle, mostly Arizona, Texas, New Mex and Calif are on it ( go figure

Old 02-03-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
No, not contridictary

We say it's MOIST here, some call it mizzle, which is not quite mist and not quite drizzle

Actual rain fall does not happen as often as other states. You know how the rain hits the roof at night, like pitter pat...everyone loves that right? Okay, it doesn't happen too often

PS - I did ****.com, and no where on it is Seattle, mostly Arizona, Texas, New Mex and Calif are on it ( go figure
Lol, mine doesn't list TX at all, so apparently I've been doing myself no justice for the past 30 years. However it did list some places in New Mexico and Virginia-even though I said major metropolitan city. Go figure.

I understand the mizzle thing and all and I do believe everyone when they say it "rains" 9 months out of the year, but the info really made it sound as if is sunnier than it probably is. Do you guys ever have that rain up there where it is misty, yet it's still sunny outside? We have that here during the spring and summer sometimes and it actually makes it feel hotter.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Allforcats, thanks for posting that great link to ****. I went ahead and filled it out for fun and guess what, Seattle is on the list, along with many others I'd never think of. When I clicked on the Seattle link to get information about it, it actually said that there was less rain than in NY and Boston and that the summers are actually quite sunny, etc. and the rainfall doesn't begin until around Oct. That seems a little contradictory to what's been posted here. Is this info outdated or something?
Hi, Looking. I'm so glad you found Find Your Spot useful and fun! I think it's really helpful.

About the weather: yes, it's well known that NYC and Boston have more total rainfall per year. The difference is that back east the rain can come fairly frequently in downpours (I lived in NYC for 30 years), so rain falls less often. More at one time; fewer times.
Here the rain falls more often in what I called mizzle and occasionally in showers. No downpours. Less at one time; more times. Does that make sense?

As for TIMES OF THE YEAR, every printed record you find will, of course, state averages. Those of us who actually live in this climate know that averages are mathematical determinations, not necessarily reality.

What you read on Find Your Spot about summers is the same as what people have been posting to you in this thread.

What you read on FYS about rain starting in October doesn't seem correct in real life; Sept. is more likely. Maybe global warming has changed that, because I remember when rains didn't start here until Oct.

Enjoy your research!! Wow, all those ideas outside the box!! Even -- all those new boxes!!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Hi, Looking. I'm so glad you found Find Your Spot useful and fun! I think it's really helpful.

About the weather: yes, it's well known that NYC and Boston have more total rainfall per year. The difference is that back east the rain can come fairly frequently in downpours (I lived in NYC for 30 years), so rain falls less often. More at one time; fewer times.
Here the rain falls more often in what I called mizzle and occasionally in showers. No downpours. Less at one time; more times. Does that make sense?

As for TIMES OF THE YEAR, every printed record you find will, of course, state averages. Those of us who actually live in this climate know that averages are mathematical determinations, not necessarily reality.

What you read on Find Your Spot about summers is the same as what people have been posting to you in this thread.

What you read on FYS about rain starting in October doesn't seem correct in real life; Sept. is more likely. Maybe global warming has changed that, because I remember when rains didn't start here until Oct.

Enjoy your research!! Wow, all those ideas outside the box!! Even -- all those new boxes!!
Wow, 30 years in NYC-how was that? That truly is my top choice and giving the opportunity to ditch my car, it makes it cheaper than Seattle, but I'm a bit hesitant on raising my son there.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I did ****.com, and no where on it is Seattle, mostly Arizona, Texas, New Mex and Calif are on it ( go figure
Hahahahaha CityGirl, that's so funny!! Not even Spokane was chosen? Sounds as though your heart is looking for sand and sun!!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
NYC-how was that? That truly is my top choice and giving the opportunity to ditch my car, it makes it cheaper than Seattle, but I'm a bit hesitant on raising my son there.
Eeeuuuuww for child-rearing, if one isn't wealthy enough to provide transportation and some type of constant security patrol for the child.
If I were you, Looking, I would do much deeper research, because nothing in New York is less expensive than in Seattle! Nothing is inexpensive there at all, not even a hot dog or a newspaper. Even the suburbs of New York are more expensive than the suburbs of Seattle...

I eventually ADORED New York when I was an adult, and conquered it in advertising when I was young and juiced, having an apartment on 3rd Avenue and working on Madison Avenue. But my childhood was entirely protected -- my parents sent me to private, protective schools and when I wasn't in school I was supervised by them in one way or other. Very constricting and demoralizing to me, but I did grow up safely.

The thing about New York is that it is vibrant, dazzling, kicky, energetic, multi-tonal, ferociously competitive, superficial, confrontational, antagonistic, and bigoted in so many ways. There is nothing peaceful, restful, centered, spiritually flowing, calm about New York. There are much healthier atmospheres in which you can actually nurture your own spirit and life, and in which to place a child's spirit where he can learn better values, no?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM

The reason I say it's cheaper is because in nice family-oriented areas of Brooklyn, I can find a decent 2 bedroom for about $1400 or so. In Seattle, it looks like it would cost me around $1000-1200. The major difference is the car expense, which is currently $600-all exp. included. I'd ditch the car in NYC, but in any other city I would keep it. So from the outside looking in, Seattle appears to be about a couple hundred more in terms of rent. And food, believe me I just got back from NYC a month ago and you can eat VERY cheap there. I go about 3 times a year and don't ever eat fancy and still have great meals around $20 for my son and I.

On the NYC boards, I get mixed reviews. Anywhere from people do it all the time, to I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, to don't even think about it unless you have an extra $12k to throw down on private school. I personally love the fast-paced NYC life and my son loved it too, but my biggest concern is when he becomes a teenager.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
my biggest concern is when he becomes a teenager.
He's ten now, right? You can start worrying yourself to death right now. Puberty in New York begins at age 7.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
He's ten now, right? You can start worrying yourself to death right now. Puberty in New York begins at age 7.
Lol, almost-he's 8 so I guess he's already qualified. If parents do their job in protecting their children, they should be able to hold off until high school I'd hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area