Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 07:54 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,737 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping rents keep rising if that prices folks out of the city. I'd gladly pay 50% more in rent if it meant 50% fewer people. My life is standing on the bus (if it has enough room to let me on in the first place), standing in line at the grocery store, ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Relax, it's summer tourist season. Things will quiet down again in about 6 weeks. I take the 554 from 2nd and Stewart to Issaquah and it's loaded with people that are here visiting family and take the bus to Seattle for the day, and foreign tourists that have hotel rooms in Bellevue.
When there is a cruise ship in (or 3) many of those people are around town until they board in the afternoon.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:00 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,885,926 times
We definitely need more buses. Seattle (city of) passed a sizeable increase in bus service, and it's now being implemented, though they still lack drivers. The rest of King County didn't pass their vote, so they're worse off. Same with some of the other local systems.

For supermarkets, I'd say it's about staffing more than anything. I imagine most checkers make more (?) than minimum wage so it might not be the increased minimum for them directly, but the cost for baggers has probably gone up, which might mean checkers doing more bagging, and less staff overall.

Land prices have skyrocketed because developable sites aren't as plentiful, like Ballard, South Lake Union, or Columbia City. That's a big part of housing costs. The City of Seattle has also been adding fees that add quite a bit to housing costs, which translates pretty quickly to market rates for the whole inventory. The solution would be to upzone a bit more land, maybe even a few Vancouver-type highrise zones.

Building rail will help. Lots of cities want infill, like Federal Way, Lynnwood, and Issaquah. Give them rail and people will want to live near it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area