Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:55 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll88 View Post
this is one of the things that turned me off about seattle when I visited in 2011 I have never seen such a thing in boise idaho i don't believe our city would tolerate it
It is now 2017 and the problem has exponentially boomed! The homeless population grew, so that of course contributes to it, but also I think it is just a increased attitude of "this is my territory" attitude. Some of the nicest parks in Seattle are starting to have permanent homeless camping settlements. If a couple of families camped out in the park and grilled and drank all night we would get kicked out. But the homeless groups are quiet and probably constantly moving around.

I suppose we are at the point of no return. Homeless people keep moving in to the Seattle via Greyhound and the city can't control it.

But don't blame the homeless, the cost of rent has exploded. So it forces people to give up on life and move to the public parks and beg for funny on the streets. All because the price of rent has gone up. Yup that is what people do, when rent goes up they don't move to a cheaper area or share a 1bd apartment with a friend, they just give up. And damn those filthy 1%. IF they only paid more taxes than the government would have more money to deal with the situation. Vote Democrat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
Both are a problem and very annoying, but the fires that are starting to spring up are more bothersome. Something really bad/tragic could be coming along down the line if the city doesn't address those fires the homeless are starting.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:29 PM

545 posts, read 411,672 times
You people should take a trip to India sometime. Then come back and you'll see how shiny and clean Seattle is by comparison.
It's a big city. This happens in every big city, everywhere.
Get some perspective.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
You people should take a trip to India sometime. Then come back and you'll see how shiny and clean Seattle is by comparison.
It's a big city. This happens in every big city, everywhere.
Get some perspective.
Maybe other countries but not here. You won't see tents in Manhattan, Atlanta or Boston (etc) any time of year. It has been reported by our mayor that 80% of people in unsanctioned homeless encampments are addicts.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:04 PM

102 posts, read 101,540 times
I've actually never seen anyone relieving themselves in Seattle. In Tacoma, I have seen it twice. Still doesn't compare to when I lived in Montreal...good God. I lived in a very nice high-rise apartment in Nuns' Island, and saw guys peeing on the sidewalk on a WEEKLY basis--no joke. The city itself was clean enough but SO much peeing!

Old 07-26-2017, 01:41 PM

429 posts, read 479,876 times
I get that this is a problem, but where exactly are homeless people expected to use the bathroom?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
I get that this is a problem, but where exactly are homeless people expected to use the bathroom?
Eastern Washington. Maybe Oroville.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:38 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Nah, Seattle loves druggies and bums.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 PM

545 posts, read 411,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Eastern Washington. Maybe Oroville.
Oh so you are going to personally drive them all out there? Bless you sir.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 PM

19 posts, read 24,996 times
There's a small garage on 3rd & Virginia that is particularly rank when you walk by.

But what can you do? People gotta go somewhere. But if you provide a place for them...well, just look at Target's bathroom on 3rd to see what you get.

But government sanctioned housing and encampments aren't the answer either-there will inevitably be "rules," and many homeless don't want to live by them. And if there aren't rules, then you get flop-houses...homeless don't want to live there either-it's unsanitary and unsafe.

So again, what can we do? They are human beings and we can't just ship them out of sight against their will. The problem is way too complex for a simple fix. Sorry to be so fatalistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area