Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:02 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,890,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Jesus, talk about "form over function." How many port-a-potties could be set up for $5M, which I'm pretty sure prostitutes wouldn't be so inclined to use them for "other business." As long as we have a homeless problem in Town, they all have to go somewhere. Being homeless does not turn off basic human body functions! And anyone who didn't use the facilities at the restaurant and then tries to fund a public restroom in Town knows the effects of not having sufficient facilities go beyond the homeless themselves.
Can't have a port-a-potty without equal facilities for the handicapped. And then you get the drug problem. And liability.

Likewise, no sidewalk pissoirs like France etc., because you can't address the problem for men without doing the same amount of good for women.

This country is ridiculous sometimes.

I don't notice any of these problems that much...live in Belltown, work Downtown, and walk everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:21 PM

513 posts, read 500,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaxter View Post
I saw a man defecating in broad daylight right off of Summit Avenue on Capitol Hill in April. I lived on Capitol Hill from 1980 to 2009, and had never seen this before. The man was clearly strung out on drugs. People say Seattle has always had homeless, and this is true, but the sheer scale and scope of the homeless plus drugs is entirely new, and something the city is ill equipped to face.
I'll second that. I' ve lived on the Hill 21 years-- this is the worst than it has ever been in my tenure. We've always had a fair share of homeless and druggies, but the last two years or so have been off the charts.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Can't have a port-a-potty without equal facilities for the handicapped. And then you get the drug problem. And liability.

Likewise, no sidewalk pissoirs like France etc., because you can't address the problem for men without doing the same amount of good for women.

This country is ridiculous sometimes.

I don't notice any of these problems that much...live in Belltown, work Downtown, and walk everywhere.
Try the alley going north from Pine between 1st and 2nd some time at 5:30am, when I go by. Actually, I haven't noticed any odors in the afternoon or evening either, but early morning before it gets cleaned up it's like walking into a restroom that hasn't been cleaned in months.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,887,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
And what makes a "white woman" doing this any more reprehensible than any other woman doing it?
I think they were noting her as "white" because they were in the international district.

I recall walking the ID a number of years ago during a week day. Very Active, busy, lot's of working activity except for one vagrant, the only white guy I'd seen that on that hike.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,533,882 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
A week ago,
Saw a white woman do this in Chinatown (Jackson st - Occidental streetcar station)
And what makes a "white woman" doing this any more reprehensible than any other woman doing it?
Reply: A bright full moon, maybe on opioids, at about 4pm, in Chinatown where there one expect a harvest Moon (orange_yellow) or perhaps a no moon (black). Where else to see such on one of two original "skid" roads (Yesler and Jackson were roads to skid logs down to Denny's (?) Saw Mill ).

Thought the scene thoughtful.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,533,882 times
^ Not Denny. It was Yesler's Mill. see Wikipedia, "skid row", skid road"

Old 07-20-2017, 07:21 AM

131 posts, read 144,267 times
this is one of the things that turned me off about seattle when I visited in 2011 I have never seen such a thing in boise idaho i don't believe our city would tolerate it

Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,736,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll88 View Post
this is one of the things that turned me off about seattle when I visited in 2011 I have never seen such a thing in boise idaho i don't believe our city would tolerate it
Nope. Boise would never let it get started.

If I remember right Boise/SLC stores aren't even open on Sunday mornings, and there are strict hours of the day that alcohol can be sold.

Boise is a good example of what a clean conservative city looks like. Seattle could learn a thing or two.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:28 AM

840 posts, read 762,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
A week ago,
Saw a white woman do this in Chinatown (Jackson st - Occidental streetcar station)
A black guy took pity and offered her some tissue to wipe.
The Waterfront, stinks of urine.
A few public toilets with automatic washdown floors, strategically placed would really go a long way to cleanup the place.
They tried that years ago and they were being used as places to do drugs or turn tricks. So city got rid of them.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:30 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,437,774 times
not that downtown Seattle is the same as skid row, LA but on skid row they power wash the sidewalks twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area