Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,256 times

Advertisements

What are the highest paying jobs in or around Seattle for someone fresh out of high school or someone with a GED while or before they go to college? About how much do such jobs pay? (I'm aiming for the highest.)

Very preferable that high manual labor isn't involved (heart defect). Not saying no manual labor at all, just light to moderate at worst--no unloading trucks, lifting heavy things, running for long times, etc.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 07:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Probably something at Boeing in the factory, not everything is grinding manual labor there

Old 02-27-2019, 07:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Without a degree or experience it will be hard to compete here for anything more than a minimum wage job. In the city of Seattle, the largest employers (over 500 employees) are now required to pay a minimum wage of $16/hour. Smaller employers must pay $15, or $12 plus at least $3/hour toward medical benefits. The problem is being able to afford housing even on $16/hour, with the average studio in Seattle now at $1,675 despite a recent decrease.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:19 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Dog walker or pet sitter. I know a couple making $50 an hour. My CPA told me he has a client that makes $80k annually.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 AM

96 posts, read 50,664 times
My daughter just graduated HS and starts college in the fall. She looked for jobs before she graduated and is working at PINK (Victoria Secret). She makes $16:50 per hour and if the whole store hit monthly targets they get a bonus of up to an extra $3 per hour.

I would recommend Private Tutoring, especially in math and science. If you go directly to the consumer and bypass agencies you can make a minimum of $30 per hour. Of course you do have to be willing to work weeknights and weekends but it supplements other income nicely. Advertise in libraries and on websites checked by parents and college students. Parents often want you to drive to their home, older students want to meet in Starbucks or libraries.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I was told many years ago, that the cashier jobs at Albertson's and Safeway pay $25/hr., due to those being union shops. If that was true then, they probably pay more, now. You could look into it.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:20 PM

Jobs that pay 60k + with a two yr degree

https://www.moneytalksnews.com/20-hi...2-year-degree/

Old 06-26-2019, 04:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
So, anecdotally, I have an opinion... based on observed supply and demand for quality contractors in city of Kirkland. There are damn few, demand is extreme, they lag in providing service and can slip up more because what are you going to do, fire them?

Plumbing is one such profession. It's not glamorous, and is physical. How much, I don't know but I doubt there are 50-something y.o. plumbers thrilled about hauling heavy metal objects around half the day. That's what they have apprentices for.

And that is the problem: my plumber, about my age, had one such lad about 21 I'd say. It's hard to find young people to work hard in the trades, I was told, which I think is weird. Roofers, HVAC, landscaping, all the same story. Landscaping is lowest skilled but definitely hard work, and I tend to notice the crews with men from (cough) "out of town" seem to work hardest, bless their souls. I hired three townies the other day, favor to to a friend. Now, I wouldn't call them lazy, but only one was truly industrious and thus they did 2/3 the job in 2x the time, and were expensive. Another crew I had last fall did a bang-up job for less money in half the time. Guess whom I'm retaining long-term, if I can manage to secure their time?

Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
My son is a union “steam fitter” in the Bay Area of CA.
It’s a 5 year program that you need to go to school for twice a week at night for 3 or so hours.
With only doing minimal overtime he is making over 150k per year.
If he transferred to the local up here in WA he would take a 20-25 percent cut in pay.
There are also other trades that pay well like electricians, plumbers HVAC control techs.
I heard the upper tiers in Union labor make over $60 per hour here.

That said,
if it was “easy peasy” every lost soul would be doing it.
You have to really want it and be on your “A game” to be successful at it.

I would also encourage you talk to a counselor at your Junior College for proper guidance.
They surely would know your best options better than I would.

Good luck to you.
Andy

Old 06-30-2019, 01:58 AM

Here is a job making 5k a month as a Quartermaster with the City of Kirkland, only High School diploma needed.

https://g.co/kgs/2oGyt2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: