Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 10:10 PM

175 posts, read 183,349 times

Advertisements

Curious.

did you miss the rain? is the cost of living similar to SoCal? whos got more homeless people, SF or Seattle?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 10:22 PM

243 posts, read 228,847 times
Makes a thread somparing Seattle to Southern California

Compares it to San Francisco

Lol

Old 05-05-2019, 10:28 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Miss the rain? In Seattle? People from SoCal often don't like Seattle because of the rain, low hanging clouds and short days in the winter. There's a honeymoon period, then the weather often starts getting to them. Based on other posts, Seattle seems like a bad fit.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:29 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Well, a nice incoherent thread to reply to.

Of course there are many who moved here and regretted it. That is just human mistakes. Those who did their research would have done better. Lesson is learn everything you can about an area before hiring U-Haul.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
OP,

Not understand you original post.

Did you make this post after havin' a few?

Old 05-06-2019, 09:07 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Attempt at a re-set here:

OP was asking if "anyone who moved to Seattle missed the rain".

I think he/she meant did anyone who moved to Seattle missed the sunshine.

But the OP muddles it even more with changing the topic to SF vs SEA homeless.

So, with all respect, I will answer all these questions. If the OP meant "missed the sunshine", then yes, there is a population that does miss it. Others don't seem to mind a decrease in sunshine.

As for the homeless problem, both Seattle and San Francisco have a severe homeless problem. I won't try to put one against the other, as this issue is terribly sad and IMO is due to three things. 1. Mental illness 2. Dependence on alcohol/drugs 3. Lack of both decent support, and lack of willingness of these humans to seek it. (Which leads back to the mental illness.) This is a horrific and growing problem and is now filtering down to smaller metros, such as Tri-Cities, where I live.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:39 PM

306 posts, read 102,337 times
Moved here from So Cal 30 years ago. There is nothing on this earth to go back for. Although Washington is now trying to beat Cal for the wackiest liberals to ever ruin a state.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:14 AM

606 posts, read 419,890 times
Not me but I have a friend who moved here from California because she got tired of living there. She seems to be doing fine here so far.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
Curious.

did you miss the rain? is the cost of living similar to SoCal? whos got more homeless people, SF or Seattle?
I can name any number of professional level pals and colleagues who moved up from LA, stayed awhile, then got the hell out due to weather and other factors.

I moved up from SF twenty years ago, which went okay. Still very different. I adjusted, but still hate being mostly indoors half the year. Tough luck though.

Forget expense, number of winos and bums on the street, and weather. The entire L.A. vibe is very different. Super pretentious and better have the right car, hair and outfit to fit int. If not, the starlets want nothing to do with you. There's some of that here, Eastside, but more concentrated vs. say West Hollywood (area).

Friend of mine from college in Michigan moved to LA when he got a remote job offer. Back then, such things happened, and I had one too a year later. We were in a super-hot STEM field, though, that couldn't find enough grads. Old Dave moved to Long Beach and never looked back. Thirty years ago...he was born to live there, married a local girl who would have him, and he's probably fine. His deadbeat childhood buddies, who became my buddies in college, are still in Kalamazoo. At the same shop as back in '89, in one case. The other works a few miles away, in bakery sales. Losers, or more properly: content with very little in life, with what they know, and Kalamazoo is pretty kicked back and uninspiring place. Make your choices in life. Some are wanderers, others homeys.

Cost of living is somewhat higher in nicer parts of LA, meaning yet again you'd better have the right chops to work there in whatever industry. Not sure what the service industry people do there, other than dream of hitting it big.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:18 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,301 times
I have a ton of friends from So Cal. For the most part they love Seattle but can have a difficult time adjusting to the standoffish nature of our populace. But it's an easy problem to solve. They tend to hang around others from So Cal as there are so many here in the Seattle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area