Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times

Advertisements

Everybody looks so skinny. Even the old people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I find the Midwest has the most character their neighborhoods, Especially the middle class ones. Its been years since I have been to Milwaukee and Minneapolis yet still think of them fondly. In Seattle, there is no style, no reason for anyone who comes here to remember it. You can say Midwest is poorer sure that's a fact but if I am a visitor going to see some style its sure not here.
The architecture, especially the residential architecture, is one thing that depressed me about Seattle. For a long time I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but I noticed whenever I'd go home to visit Berkeley, the subtle depressive effect was gone, and I'd get such a charge from walking around neighborhoods with their beautiful architecture and views of the Bay. That's when I realized that much of Seattle residential architecture is cheap, drab, boxy stuff, not architect-designed at all. There's nothing scenic about many of the neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The architecture, especially the residential architecture, is one thing that depressed me about Seattle. For a long time I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but I noticed whenever I'd go home to visit Berkeley, the subtle depressive effect was gone, and I'd get such a charge from walking around neighborhoods with their beautiful architecture and views of the Bay. That's when I realized that much of Seattle residential architecture is cheap, drab, boxy stuff, not architect-designed at all. There's nothing scenic about many of the neighborhoods.
I think that's largely dependant on the neighborhood. The eastern part of Capitol Hill, the top of Queen Anne, Leschi, Madrona, Madison Park, and Admiral in West Seattle have lovely houses and views. But you're right. There are plenty of other Seattle neighborhoods, expensive neighborhoods too,(parts of Ballard, parts of NE Seattle, etc, full of drab, non -descript boxy crapbox homes.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:29 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,281 times
Quote:
Once upon a time, Seattle was a blue-collar working-class town. People living there just wanted a comfortable place to live, didn't need and couldn't afford "architect designed".

Then a more affluent and status-seeking bunch of people moved in, but had to make-do with the houses already there. It is a definitely a completely different place than it was 30 years ago. Now everyone wants new and "architect designed" fancy houses. Consider the Bay Area took a long time to purge all the old blue collar architecture and put up all fancy and new McMansions. In fact my parents uninspired Ranch style '60's last-holdout house in Woodside(Bay Area) is finally going up for sale at a bargain price, because we assume it will be bulldozed. Same thing will eventually happen in Seattle are.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
Once upon a time, Seattle was a blue-collar working-class town. People living there just wanted a comfortable place to live, didn't need and couldn't afford "architect designed".
Thank you. This is helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52;
Then a more affluent and status-seeking bunch of people moved in, but had to make-do with the houses already there. It is a definitely a completely different place than it was 30 years ago. Now everyone wants new and "architect designed" fancy houses. Consider the Bay Area took a long time to purge all the old blue collar architecture and put up all fancy and new McMansions. In fact my parents uninspired Ranch style '60's last-holdout house in Woodside(Bay Area) is finally going up for sale at a bargain price, because we assume it will be bulldozed. Same thing will eventually happen in Seattle are.
I'm not talking McMansions or new construction. The "Arts and Crafts" (craftsman) style was born, in part, in Berkeley. And there was also a very long tradition of Mediterranean-style architecture as an outgrowth of the old Mexican style. There's also a variety of other traditional styles, like Tudor, etc., all beautifully executed. And in the working-class neighborhoods, there were (still are) quaint Victorians. I suppose Berkeley (and parts of Oakland) scored good architecture because it was a) built around the university, so faculty housing was higher-end (think of the north U District in Seattle; there are beautiful homes there), and b) also intended to be a bedroom community for professionals working in San Francisco. So unlike Seattle, it didn't grow up as a working-class town. It was serving more of an elite-ish niche, with a working-class section to serve the university, the resort hotel (Claremont), the schools, etc.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 PM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
I worked at the Renton Boeing plant during the 60's thru to the end of the 20th century and I recall things like before I-405 was built and the main highway from Seattle south was Rainier avenue to Three Tree Point road connecting with 99 (Pacific Highway South)
I remember the endless construction on both I-5, I-90 and I-405 (still going on today). In fact I remember when I-90 was highway 10.
I remember going to the Seattle Pilots games at Sick Stadium. I remember the reversible lanes on Rainier Avenue. I remember going to Longacre's race track. I remember going to the World's fair and eating at the top of the Space Nettle.
I remember the Seattle Supersonic winning the NBA championship. Going to the Kingdom and watching the Seahawks. Jim Zorn to Steve Largent for the touch down. I remember when South Center was build. I remember the Green River flooding every year. I remember the Green River Killer. (He worked at PacCar just down the road from where I worked in Boeing Renton plant.
I remember working on and seeing the first 747 lake off. I remember all the different Boeing aircraft I worked on, 707, 717, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, the AWACS, 707 tankers, the Urban Mass Transportation light rail that Boeing built in Kent. Both the private and military (Pegasus) hydrofoils built in Renton.

Boy do I remember and boy did I forget.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 840 times
Default 1970's Seattle, correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
Does anyone remember the old dance clubs and taverns in the 70's such as Pier 70 and Golden Tides? And Parker's Ballroom later the Aquarius Tavern. The Monastary when it was the BFD.
Only thing is, the Monastery was NEVER the BFD. Two different buildings. The Monastery was at 1900 Boren Avenue. The BFD was on either Minor and Stewart or Stewart and Yale Ave right off of Denny Way.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 View Post
Only thing is, the Monastery was NEVER the BFD. Two different buildings. The Monastery was at 1900 Boren Avenue. The BFD was on either Minor and Stewart or Stewart and Yale Ave right off of Denny Way.
Actually I now have the exact address, BFD #1 was located at 1905 Stewart Street in the old Stewart St. Baptist Church (bordered by Denny Way, Yale and Minor Avenues.) BFD #2 was in West Seattle.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Thank you. This is helpful.
I'm not talking McMansions or new construction. The "Arts and Crafts" (craftsman) style was born, in part, in Berkeley. And there was also a very long tradition of Mediterranean-style architecture as an outgrowth of the old Mexican style. There's also a variety of other traditional styles, like Tudor, etc., all beautifully executed. And in the working-class neighborhoods, there were (still are) quaint Victorians. I suppose Berkeley (and parts of Oakland) scored good architecture because it was a) built around the university, so faculty housing was higher-end (think of the north U District in Seattle; there are beautiful homes there), and b) also intended to be a bedroom community for professionals working in San Francisco. So unlike Seattle, it didn't grow up as a working-class town. It was serving more of an elite-ish niche, with a working-class section to serve the university, the resort hotel (Claremont), the schools, etc.

I lived in Berkeley for about 10 years on and off.

It has always been a town of the Elites. I think the flatlands of Berkeley have a different history than Seattle, but the homes are classic instead of trashy like in Seattle. Not sure how that happened.

Mercer Island comes close to Berkeley and its "upper elevations". Rich is rich no matter where it is found.

Seattle went from working class trash....to geek class trash.

A city without a soul.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Not exactly. Seattle has always had a class system,
To say this is a modern component is wrong. The difference between the lower class and the upper class in Seattle has existed for a century or more. Please don’t distort history here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area