Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 AM

260 posts, read 926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
heh Seattle in the 70's and KJR Channel 95 blasting away on the radio ..

I liked that station much more than even KZOK or KISW
I started listening to KJR in the early 60's... Pat O'Day, Lan Roberts, Norm Gregory, "The Emperor" Lee Smith, Charlie Brown, who I believe went over to KUBE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
Yes, I vaguely remember riding on the Kalakala a couple of times when I was a kid. The boat was found in Alaska and moved to Washington state in hopes of renovating it. It didn't happen and it was just sold to a new owner.

There is a great webpage with videos of old films of the ferry:

Kalakala
That's pretty cool that you rode it as a child, I didn't expect anyone to say they had. And thanks for the link!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
That's pretty cool that you rode it as a child, I didn't expect anyone to say they had. And thanks for the link!
I remember two times (at least)... my grandmother took us to visit cousins on Bremerton and the ferry was the Kalakala.

Then during the World's Fair, my parents took us on a round trip, but I don't remember where we went.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:36 PM

221 posts, read 204,126 times
What a find, just read the entire thread. I was stationed at Fort Lewis 70-72 and spent a lot of time in and around Seattle. Great city and great times. Returned to Texas after discharge, wanted to get back to Seattle, but never did. Kind of think I 'missed out' on a very different life style by not returning. But still have fond memories of the people I met.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 PM

4,900 posts, read 2,055,276 times
...Wow!! Simply Wow!!

I was born and raised in Seattle and back in the mid 70s, as a teen, downtown was a great... Always something going on. I remember spending hours in Music World (?) across from Woolsworth on 3rd Ave, looking at albums and enjoying whatever album was being played. Also, the Farmer's Market was a cool place to chill out as well since there was no shortage of freaks hanging around.

Also, I worked for Herfy's for about a year and it was a blast!! I lived in the Rainier Valley area and worked at the one on Rainier Avenue, by Franklin High School, but worked at several Herfy's for extra cash at their Downtown, Capital and and the Queen Ann restaurants... Everytime I visit home, I go to Dick's on Queen Ann Hill, which was the old Herfy's place and it almost looks the same. Herfy's burgers were OK, but their Fish Sandwich and French Dips were the best!!

At the Westlake Mall area, at the old Bartell's drugstore, on the second floor, there was a restaurant that specialized in hot dogs and man were they good!! I can't remember the name, but it was something simple. Also, Go Guy Drugs made the BEST burgers in town... Hands down!! Their shakes were good too, but those damned paper straws didn't work too well.

Enlisted in the Army back in early 1980 and only for a few visits, I missed all of the 80s and 90s... Didn't start visiting home on a regular base until 2007 and now I can't wait to retire and move back within the next 18-20 months for good.

Home is home and I can truly state that I really love Seattle.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Texan View Post
What a find, just read the entire thread. I was stationed at Fort Lewis 70-72 and spent a lot of time in and around Seattle. Great city and great times. Returned to Texas after discharge, wanted to get back to Seattle, but never did. Kind of think I 'missed out' on a very different life style by not returning. But still have fond memories of the people I met.
You were here during my favorite time in Seattle.... I worked and partied downtown and have such great memories of it all. Downtown just isn't the same anymore....

Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
...Wow!! Simply Wow!!

I was born and raised in Seattle and back in the mid 70s, as a teen, downtown was a great... Always something going on. I remember spending hours in Music World (?) across from Woolsworth on 3rd Ave, looking at albums and enjoying whatever album was being played. Also, the Farmer's Market was a cool place to chill out as well since there was no shortage of freaks hanging around.

Also, I worked for Herfy's for about a year and it was a blast!! I lived in the Rainier Valley area and worked at the one on Rainier Avenue, by Franklin High School, but worked at several Herfy's for extra cash at their Downtown, Capital and and the Queen Ann restaurants... Everytime I visit home, I go to Dick's on Queen Ann Hill, which was the old Herfy's place and it almost looks the same. Herfy's burgers were OK, but their Fish Sandwich and French Dips were the best!!

At the Westlake Mall area, at the old Bartell's drugstore, on the second floor, there was a restaurant that specialized in hot dogs and man were they good!! I can't remember the name, but it was something simple. Also, Go Guy Drugs made the BEST burgers in town... Hands down!! Their shakes were good too, but those damned paper straws didn't work too well.

Enlisted in the Army back in early 1980 and only for a few visits, I missed all of the 80s and 90s... Didn't start visiting home on a regular base until 2007 and now I can't wait to retire and move back within the next 18-20 months for good.

Home is home and I can truly state that I really love Seattle.
Wow, I haven't thought about GO Guys in years!! That's where I use to buy my art supplies. I loved Bartell's... I worked at the Northgate store in 1968; I was the Ice Cream Girl, up to my elbows in ice cream making milkshakes, sundaes and cones. It was a great job. I spent most of my income at the store buying records and a black and white TV.

Dicks and Herfy's will always be the best for milkshakes and fries. I'm so glad Dick's still around, it's sad that Herfy's is gone, although I have heard there is one still around somewhere in town.

I also spent a lot of time at Woolsworth, first the store at University Village (bought my first Barbie doll there in 1959) and then the downtown store. I worked at phone company on third avenue and since I rode the bus to and from work, I spent a lot of time buying paperback books to read on the trip. I bought most of those books at Woolsworth.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I think about this when I think about 1970s Seattle

Kingdome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Ma..._All-Star_Game

Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Man those are some great pics, Seattle looked like a fun little town then.
It was a hole. It's so much nicer since they upgraded 1st and 2nd avenues downtown, and the public market, not to mention parts of the waterfront. It's respectable now.

(Warning: Bay Area snob alert! )

Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM

173 posts, read 225,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
heh Seattle in the 70's and KJR Channel 95 blasting away on the radio ..

I liked that station much more than even KZOK or KISW
I used to listen to KUUU.

I do think that, gritty nostalgia notwithstanding, downtown Seattle is SO much better now. Cleaned up, gentrified, renovated, whatever you want to call it, just enough without going overboard and razing a lot of otherwise great buildings. At lot of new construction, mostly lately, has replaced parking lots or generally run down or unremarkable structures. Now, we just have to get rid of the "sinking ship", IMHO the worst eyesore in the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area