Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 02:39 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Im not from Seattle but you can get stats right off of city-data for demographics. Here is some.
Seattle-2007 population 594,210-8.4% black or 49,914 black people live in just the Seattle city limits.
Tukwila-2007 pop. 17,230-12.8% black or 2,205 black people.
Kent-2007 pop. 84,474-8.2% black or 6,927 black people.
Federal way-2007 pop. 84,819-7.9% black or 6,701 black people
SeaTac-2007 pop. 25,710-9.2% black or 2,365 black people
Des Moines-2007 pop. 29,076-7.2% black or 2,093 black people
Burien-2007 pop. 31,394-5.1% black or 1,601 black people
Riverton-Boulevard Park- 2007 pop. 15,688-8.3% or 1,302 black people
Bryn Mawr-Skyway-2007 pop. 15,223-25.3% black or 3,851 black people
Renton-2007 pop. 60,331-8.5% black or 5,128 black people
Cascade-Fairwood-36,810-6.1% black or 2,245 black people
White center-22,417-6.4% black or 1,435 black people
Tacoma-196,520-11.2% black or 22,010 black people
Lakewood-57,231-12.3% black or 7,039 black people
University Place-30,469-8.7% black or 2,651 black people
Fort Lewis-20,964-20.3% black or 4,256 black people
Parkland-26,416-8.1% black or 2,140 black people
Midland-8,142-8.4% black or 684 black people
Spanaway-23,709-9.1% black or 2,158 black people
So theres a good example of the black population in the Seattle area.
Total population of those cities-1,380,833 Black Population-126,705 9.2%
So its not that theres not black people in Seattle, but keep in mind that Atlanta is around 60% black and many of its suburbs are 80% plus black. Also some counties in the ATL metro area are majority black. So for a black person from Atlanta, it would probably feel like there was a small black population there, whereas if you were a person coming from Spokane or Boise it would seem large to those people.
I get what you are saying. it just seems like if you are used to growing up in an area with a large Black population, it is second nature to be surprised by that.

I will say that the Black community of the Seattle-Tacoma area is spread out and in a way where there is a decent concentration of Black people in many communities in the area. This is especially the case starting from the CD, down through the South side neighborhoods into the suburbs like Federal Way, Kent, Renton, Lakewood, Fort Lewis, etc into Tacoma.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaara View Post
All of this talk about people being so racist towards black people really bothers me. It saddens me that so many people can be so racist against you.
I was born and raised in Texas. I never felt like a Texan though because everyone in the south (many state's that I've visited in the south) were very racist (not only whites but also blacks). I moved to WA as soon as I could and it just amazing how different not only the white people are here but also the black people. I've gotten into many arguments with my father (because he has lived nowhere else except Texas) about how the way he thinks towards other races is so completely wrong and have tried to convince him many times to get to know some black people here in WA.

Same for some friends I have in Texas who are of many different races (indian, african american, english). It's just very different here in WA. I just feel like every state has their different types of people. I'm so glad I live in WA now though. The people here are so much more accepting of ALL cultures (probably because of the fact that we have Microsoft here so many people from different cultures live in Seattle). I love it here and feel it's MUCH more friendly than some states in the South.
I left Texas for the near-exact same reasons and moved (initially) to Washington.

Needless to say, WA is 10x as tolerant a place as Texas. Even the really really bad parts (centralia, tri cities, etc) dont hold a candle to the status quo in TX. And that is not just racially, its religious, sexual orientation, income level, national origin...the whole gamut.

The people of all kinds are more accepting of different people, and a person can be themselves without dealing with a lot of crap. In central-southern Texas where I grew up, it seemed the standard was that smart people were looked down upon as being weak, and not worth respecting. People who accomplished anything in life were seen as sell outs. In general, it seemed people were ignorant fools for the sake of being ignorant fools. In the cases of whites, it seemed as if they all wanted to be the 'cool cowboy' or 'traditional southerner' type, loud, angry, belligerent, and racist and hateful as all hell. In the case of hispanics and blacks, it seemed that they, for whatever reason, thought the way they lived was how everyone lived. All whites 'are dangerous racist, f-g hating, anti-semetic, mexican and black hating rednecks' or 'trying to take advantage of them somehow' and people of color 'are poor because thats the way it is and thats the way it always will be...why try and change the world'? I could not stand the way people think down there.

I may have been born in TX, and though I lived in WA for a number of years, and am not sure if I will return to stay after finishing grad school, but in my mind I consider myself more of a 'Washingtonian' than a Texan by far.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
I left Texas for the near-exact same reasons and moved (initially) to Washington.

Needless to say, WA is 10x as tolerant a place as Texas. Even the really really bad parts (centralia, tri cities, etc) dont hold a candle to the status quo in TX. And that is not just racially, its religious, sexual orientation, income level, national origin...the whole gamut.

The people of all kinds are more accepting of different people, and a person can be themselves without dealing with a lot of crap. In central-southern Texas where I grew up, it seemed the standard was that smart people were looked down upon as being weak, and not worth respecting. People who accomplished anything in life were seen as sell outs. In general, it seemed people were ignorant fools for the sake of being ignorant fools. In the cases of whites, it seemed as if they all wanted to be the 'cool cowboy' or 'traditional southerner' type, loud, angry, belligerent, and racist and hateful as all hell. In the case of hispanics and blacks, it seemed that they, for whatever reason, thought the way they lived was how everyone lived. All whites 'are dangerous racist, f-g hating, anti-semetic, mexican and black hating rednecks' or 'trying to take advantage of them somehow' and people of color 'are poor because thats the way it is and thats the way it always will be...why try and change the world'? I could not stand the way people think down there.

I may have been born in TX, and though I lived in WA for a number of years, and am not sure if I will return to stay after finishing grad school, but in my mind I consider myself more of a 'Washingtonian' than a Texan by far.
I must have grown up differently. I never found that much hatred in Texas. Maybe it was location. I was living in the DFW metroplex. Everything you described, well, the closest I have see to that I have seen it in Georgia . I used to live in Washington myself. I can honestly say I would go back if I could.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Been there and done that. I went to a school that was around 93% White and actually had some White students question my "authenticity". Considering that my parents are from Mississippi and South Carolina, which are historically the Blackest states in the US due to being the biggest slave states and growing up in NY State, I learned to take things with a grain of salt. Same thing if Black people did it too.
I have had my own "authenticity" questioned as well. Some students(mainly white students) have actually made the "Carlton Banks" joke about me. After a while I learned why some people might do this. I think my current college courses have helped me figure this out. I think stereotypes are about social control. Stereotypes are basically painting everyone with a broad paintbrush. When someone doesn't fit that stereotype, said person sometimes falls into scrutiny. I feel it is a social control for this reason. Stereotypes often give people a reason not to think. When a person doesn't live to the stereotype, it will make other people think. Certain people have to rethink what they learn. For some people, they don't want to think outside of their way of thinking and when they see someone who doesn't fit the stereotype, they can't say "See, all of them act like that" and/or use it as a reason to discriminate. It sounds crazy and screwed up, but it doesn't have to be logical to be true. The best way to fight a stereotype is to be yourself rather than to play into a role someone wants you to play into.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I must have grown up differently. I never found that much hatred in Texas. Maybe it was location. I was living in the DFW metroplex. Everything you described, well, the closest I have see to that I have seen it in Georgia . I used to live in Washington myself. I can honestly say I would go back if I could.
Odd you mention that, I actually have heard from friends from Atlanta that georgia is actually much better and more tolerant (racially, religiously and orientation) than Texas. It may just be an exposure thing.

I nearly forgot another big divider is politics. Republicans hate, nearly (and sometimes) to the point of violence democrats and greens, and once upon a time libertarians. Democrats loath Republicans and consider them all but 'evil'. Below the belt attacks are standard. In WA, the democrats and republicans actually believe in their own doctrines, and seem not to be party/family/social/ethnic group followers. It makes the politics feel more genuine and not anger or hate based.

There are definite exceptions...Austin is a big one, El Paso is another...probably 2/3 of houston (sans suburbs). But for the most part, its really really bad down there, in my experience growing up there.

The funny thing is, they (all groups there) are not only convinced so heavily that its not so bad there, they actually think its better in Texas than others places. Talk about insular mindsets. You would not believe the arguments I have had with family over this topic. And dont even bother bringing it up in a conversation with other texans.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Odd you mention that, I actually have heard from friends from Atlanta that georgia is actually much better and more tolerant (racially, religiously and orientation) than Texas. It may just be an exposure thing.

I nearly forgot another big divider is politics. Republicans hate, nearly (and sometimes) to the point of violence democrats and greens, and once upon a time libertarians. Democrats loath Republicans and consider them all but 'evil'. Below the belt attacks are standard. In WA, the democrats and republicans actually believe in their own doctrines, and seem not to be party/family/social/ethnic group followers. It makes the politics feel more genuine and not anger or hate based.

There are definite exceptions...Austin is a big one, El Paso is another...probably 2/3 of houston (sans suburbs). But for the most part, its really really bad down there, in my experience growing up there.

The funny thing is, they (all groups there) are not only convinced so heavily that its not so bad there, they actually think its better in Texas than others places. Talk about insular mindsets. You would not believe the arguments I have had with family over this topic. And dont even bother bringing it up in a conversation with other texans.
The city of Atlanta, perhaps, but many of the suburbs are not that nice and many parts of Georgia aren't that nice either. I have experienced more prejudice and problems in Georgia than anywhere else I have lived. I guess that might have to do with why I have a different view. My own family's experience wit the Pacific Northwest was actually quite nice. My father wishes he stayed.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The city of Atlanta, perhaps, but many of the suburbs are not that nice and many parts of Georgia aren't that nice either. I have experienced more prejudice and problems in Georgia than anywhere else I have lived. I guess that might have to do with why I have a different view. My own family's experience wit the Pacific Northwest was actually quite nice. My father wishes he stayed.
I cant understand that. I have little to no experience in GA (only having visited once, and only atlanta at that), so you may be right.

The PNW is the best part of the country in my opinion. The one drawback is probably the main reason why anyone leaves in the first place...decent career-path jobs are hard to come by and easily laid off over the years in cycles. Plus the trend for housing costs seems to always be on the rise.

Needless to say, if you can get established out there, its a safe bet never to leave.

Hell, just talking about it is reminding me to maybe make a few visits and try to get some networking done before I finish school.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:00 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times
The "Seattle Freeze" only applies to people who don't have a life.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Incredible pics. I've never been to Seattle, but your really selling it to me right now. I might have to take a visit. Im in the process of checking out different places to relocate to and my main choice right now is Texas due to all the Best places rankings Ive seen, but these pics plus the previous ones has me interested in checking out Seattle. How's the job market their??? I also heard the cost of living is pretty high, is this true as well. I'm a young African-American male from Ohio just recently graduated from college and is currently seeking a new place to live. I'm open to any suggestions. The job market here is horrible.
I recommend staying away from anywhere in Texas than is not Houston, Austin or Dallas (and the urban or inner suburb areas of those places). Youll find a job in Tx, but from how you describe yourself, you will likely not be treated well, which will either result in 1- You quitting out of frustration somewhere down the line, 2- Learning to live with it and becoming another educated depressed northerner living in Texas or 3- Your employee finding you to be 'uppity', due to your background or not falling into their stereotype of what you should be, and finding a way to fire you.

Seattles job market sucks, but being working class or even working poor class in Seattle beats being middle class in Texas if you are not of the good ol boys group. If you stay and get your name out long enough, eventually someone will pick you up...most likely. I guess every paradise must have its price.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I cant understand that. I have little to no experience in GA (only having visited once, and only atlanta at that), so you may be right.

The PNW is the best part of the country in my opinion. The one drawback is probably the main reason why anyone leaves in the first place...decent career-path jobs are hard to come by and easily laid off over the years in cycles. Plus the trend for housing costs seems to always be on the rise.

Needless to say, if you can get established out there, its a safe bet never to leave.

Hell, just talking about it is reminding me to maybe make a few visits and try to get some networking done before I finish school.
I think the PNW is good for those who own businesses or specialize in some kind of visual art, writing, or music. Seattle is also a place for technonlogy. I just hope the job market picks up. As of now, I am in no condition to move anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area