Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:04 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Pioneer Square is the ghetto?
Pioneer Square has always been part of "skid row" in Seattle.

See the thread "Are there real ghettos in Seattle" for more info.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-13-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM

367 posts, read 622,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrick View Post
I'm from Boise... one of the nicest small towns in the Country. i was at a chess tournament a mile outside of Camden New Jersey this summer for 10 days... one of the first nights there my friend and i walked around for 3 hours trying to find some food... finally found some 7-11 sandwich type store at 1 in the morning...

People say Camden is so bad, but i felt alright walking around at 1 in the morning... it was different being in an area that seemed to be 90% black coming from Idaho where there's like 5 african americans in the entire state... but still, 2 white chess nerd teens walking around and the worst thing that ever happened was couple cars shouting crap to us as they passed us...

big whoop. happens here. just cuz they were black doesn't mean much. so i personally feel like east coast ghetto's aren't what they are talked up to be...
There are actually more Hispanics in Camden than blacks and you must have caught the city on a good night. Camden is one of the most violent cities, if not the most violent city in the United States. Then again the majority of violence that happens in this country is between two parties that know each other and "have a reason" to kill...

Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalmarky View Post
As in "Federal" Penitentiary?
Federal Way residents are moving to SeaTac?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,117 times
Mane my names j-bone ime from the bay area now ive seen ghetto now let me tell you somethin its not ware your from its ware you at is ware you get your cap pelled back seattle might not have miles and miles of old ghetto neighbor hoods seattle was built different when i came down hear to visit 13 years ago the cd and rainer beach was just as bad as they come they ****in bulldozed all of the projects in seattle now every body is spread out they dont want any poor people ner seattle they want to make money for the tourist they dont want any thang to look ghetto ner seattle so now i came back up hear and had a visit with my fam and whats going on is all the pimps, playaz, hustlas,gangstas,drug deallers,ect is all spred out in and around south king county the mcmickin hights nighborhood up in sea-tac looks like crest side vallejo preatty soon the ghetto will go from white center to skyway sea-tac kent and federal way and ive watched it happen to the bay ime going to se it hear its going to get so ****in crazy hear your gonna shut your mouths about the east coast its gonna take a while they want to push all the ghetto people is far south in king county its all ready going on right now as i right this

Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 AM

89 posts, read 206,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bone MALONE View Post
Mane my names j-bone ime from the bay area now ive seen ghetto now let me tell you somethin its not ware your from its ware you at is ware you get your cap pelled back seattle might not have miles and miles of old ghetto neighbor hoods seattle was built different when i came down hear to visit 13 years ago the cd and rainer beach was just as bad as they come they ****in bulldozed all of the projects in seattle now every body is spread out they dont want any poor people ner seattle they want to make money for the tourist they dont want any thang to look ghetto ner seattle so now i came back up hear and had a visit with my fam and whats going on is all the pimps, playaz, hustlas,gangstas,drug deallers,ect is all spred out in and around south king county the mcmickin hights nighborhood up in sea-tac looks like crest side vallejo preatty soon the ghetto will go from white center to skyway sea-tac kent and federal way and ive watched it happen to the bay ime going to se it hear its going to get so ****in crazy hear your gonna shut your mouths about the east coast its gonna take a while they want to push all the ghetto people is far south in king county its all ready going on right now as i right this
I don't think I saw a single period in that wall of text. [ head explodes ]

But thanks for the insight anyway.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bone MALONE View Post
LOL @ South King County becoming like east coast ghettos or even Vallejo, Richmond, and Oakland, California.

What about Renton, Covington, Maple Valley, and Auburn? Will Normandy Park be affected?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
I kept running into things about Pioneer Square, so I took a walk by. Wow, what an anticlimax. I've seen far worse in Minneapolis. Where are all the guys in cardboard boxes? Aren't they de rigeur? In Toronto, I got out of a concert late and had to walk up Yonge to catch a late bus. All sorts of guys laying and sleeping on the way. Not to mention walking up Yonge and seeing every block someone with a cup, sitting against the buildings. I guess they can't actually speak, but they can sit there all day. I really developed some tall expectations from reading G. M. Ford novels. Well, I guess in any city you have to spend a week to really SEE the underbelly. In the short periods of time I was there, not once did anyone ask for change or a cigarette. They really are invisible.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:14 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,447 times
The vagrants in Pioneer Square are as harmless as they come. There are a lot of them but they don't really do anything. I'm far more concerned about 3rd avenue and the kids skateboarding around 4th and pine than I am about anybody hanging around Pioneer Square.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 PM

172 posts, read 442,147 times
If you came from Cleveland there are no ghettos in Seattle compared to what your use to.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,682 times
I think a lot of people are confusing the overall crime of Seattle with the bad parts. Seattle is not like Oakland (where I've lived as well) where just a huge chunk of the city is all ghetto. The crime in seattle isn't all spread out, its pocketed in "mini-ghettos". Like in the 80's and 90's, the main city of seattle was wonderful, but if you went to White Center or Central you would actually get shot in front of a kindergarten for wearing the wrong colors. Now White Center isn't like it was in the old school, but the concept is the same. However places tend to be better now because they demolished a lot of the projects and replaced them with mixed income housing, so its not concentrated like it used to be. But living in the projects in White Center (in the 80's-90's) was comparable to living in Oakland. The only difference was that the ghetto of oakland might of had 400,000 people living in it, while White Center has 20,000, so it didn't affect the city crime rate that much. But if you were one of the unlucky few to be one of that 20,000, then you had a comparable experience to the 400,000 in Oakland.

For example, a rap group made of bloods and crips from the compton area gave a shout-out to Central District in the 90's (go to 4 minutes, 27 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcwMKtpndlw&t=4m27s

"I served soup on Cherry Street, in Seattle Central District where the 'copters [police helicopters] meet"

The crime rate in seattle in 1990 wasn't bad, but the CD neighborhood was still ghetto enough for a gangster from compton to recognize it as such. Again, its not as bad as 20 years ago, but there are still pockets of mini-ghettos where you don't want to live. Also, this wasn't some studio gangster either, he's dead now.

Also, of course seattle ghettos are going to look nice. Everything on the eastcoast was built in the late 1800's or some crap, the buildings in seattle are just physically newer. Also, the arcitecture is different, people are used to seeing the towering vertical projects instead of the horizontal ones in seattle. NOw, theres been a ton of gentrification, like for example Holly Park/NewHolly

http://www.seattlehousing.org/redeve...olly/photos/3/

Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area