Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

When I drilled a well in Wyoming, the driller recommended the dowser. He charged $150, and found a good well. The term is water witch, not witcher. If you don't like to call someone a witch, call him a dowser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Hitting water does not make a good driller.

Being able to make a good well out of what you hit does.

In this century we are professionals that know how to screen or liner for water quality.

I have great wells on land that has had many dry holes.

Now we just do things differently.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
When I drilled a well in Wyoming, the driller recommended the dowser. He charged $150, and found a good well. The term is water witch, not witcher. If you don't like to call someone a witch, call him a dowser.
The last witcher from this area (years ago) also charged.

He did some county time in jail for fraud.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...er-really-work

Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hitting water does not make a good driller.
Huh?!?!?

I hope I never hear something like that from physician, or lawyer, or banker, or anybody else I'm paying for something.

How about, "Keeping a patient alive does not make a good doctor", or "Getting a car running does not make a good mechanic?''

Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Huh?!?!?

I hope I never hear something like that from physician, or lawyer, or banker, or anybody else I'm paying for something.

How about, "Keeping a patient alive does not make a good doctor", or "Getting a car running does not make a good mechanic?''
That is what I said.

With modern technology, a good driller knows how to develop wells that in the past would have been dry holes.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times
Quote:
Huh?!?!?

Thanks, Happy, I thought it was just ME in feeling very puzzled about what I'm reading here.

Driller1, could you comment specifically on the two sites I included in my OP? Setting aside what you do for a living, WOULD THOSE METHODS WORK TO FIND WATER?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 PM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
There is no point in arguing about this. We live in a society of specialized experts. Meanwhile, the rest of us learn how to do things on our own (like the gentlemen in the video I posted earlier).

This is no different than any other argument about such matters. The mechanic down at the garage tells me I need him to change a set of brake pads or clean an injector. Fine. The guy needs to make a living. But, that doesn't mean I can't do it on my own with acceptable results. I change my own brake pads and save hundreds of dollars. My car stops just the same as it would have had he changed them. Looking at the pads, the end result is the same. There's no way to tell who changed them, unless you examine my wallet.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
SOH2O – Save Our Water » Wells, Maine

Looks like a little war is on now.
I heard about their battle when I first moved to Maine in 2005, I guess it is still going on. I have not heard much about it in a year or more. They are 3 hours South of us.

I have no idea how many rivers lie between here and there at least a dozen I would guess, plus all of the lakes.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Thanks, Happy, I thought it was just ME in feeling very puzzled about what I'm reading here.

Driller1, could you comment specifically on the two sites I included in my OP? Setting aside what you do for a living, WOULD THOSE METHODS WORK TO FIND WATER?
It would not be legal in Michigan.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 PM

In both videos there are many things that just would not work.

One said just drop a string down your neighbour's well to see how deep it is. What if it has a screen???

The well I drilled today is 80 foot, you would hit the screen at 45 foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness