Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Consider two films: 'Defiance' and 'Hiding and seeking', during WWII and under Nazi control farmers who normally stored their harvest in root cellars took to piling livestock manure over the entrances to their root cellars. Urbanite solders would never want to soil their shiny boots by mucking manure, and so root cellars were often left untouched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Except for the 'manufacturing' I would have to say that this area of New England pretty much fulfills the requirements.

Of course other places do as well.

A great deal of the nation has a horrible picture with water shortages and droughts. A great many people today get their water from municipal supplies. If there is any interruption in municipal provided water [which includes aqueducts and managed water-sheds] there will be major problems.
Well, the problem with NE is the amount of arable land versus the massive population.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, the problem with NE is the amount of arable land versus the massive population.
I see.

With less than 10 people per square mile in this area I see no problem from any 'massive population'.

More than enough arable land. Perhaps not enough to feed the entire nation, but I see no need. The only need is to be able to feed folks are here.

Unlike most of the nation we have no worries about droughts or any form of water shortage either.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Quote:
I see.

With less than 10 people per square mile in this area I see no problem from any 'massive population'.

More than enough arable land. Perhaps not enough to feed the entire nation, but I see no need. The only need is to be able to feed folks are here.

Unlike most of the nation we have no worries about droughts or any form of water shortage either.
This (what I bolded) is the truest part of your true post...

We're not going grow for the nation, or even for the state, where we are, either. We're going to grow locally and trade locally.

Folks won't head in droves to NEbraska, either. Too many cows standing around, still with their fur coats on. Plus they have horns that are all sharp and pointy - they could be (gulp) dangerous! Maybe someone will try to turn on the faucet underneath a bull for milk, though...
Now, that's entertainment!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I see.

Once again, my thesis is partial collapse, not total collapse. If there is any kind of civil government, they will be trying to deal with a massive number of refugees from the city. That means they will be appropriating any and all sources of food in a desperate attempt to keep people from starving and to stave off further social disorder. Sitting back and saying, "Why, I'm cool. I have a windmill, a hundred acres, and a stream that won't go dry" won't really cut it when a platoon of government troop spin by to take away 90% of your harvest.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Once again, my thesis is partial collapse, not total collapse. If there is any kind of civil government, they will be trying to deal with a massive number of refugees from the city. That means they will be appropriating any and all sources of food in a desperate attempt to keep people from starving and to stave off further social disorder. Sitting back and saying, "Why, I'm cool. I have a windmill, a hundred acres, and a stream that won't go dry" won't really cut it when a platoon of government troop spin by to take away 90% of your harvest.
Sounds exactly like the state government in MD already! They may not be taking the food, but sure can take the ability to buy it!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default OK, you've got the state, now what?

I'm back, friends. I have finally started to move out of zombie land. I didn't realize how much the death of a spouse shifts one's view of the universe.

I realized 2 things a long time age:
1. I am not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, nor am I the dimmest.
2. I am a follower, not a leader.

Now I need to add a third: I need to be around people. I was never so lonely as when I went to sleep in that empty bed. I now know I can't live out in the country alone, so I will be looking for a village close enough to a fair sized town that I can travel to easily, say within a day by donkey or boat.

A disagreement with a family member about the funeral arrangements brought something else to mind. There was an expression of opinion by one family member (who shall remain nameless) that cremation was a sin. When I asked her for supporting documentation from the Bible (we are both Christians), she couldn't find anything. She said she 'felt' it was a sin.

People like her, people who 'feel', scare me. I prefer to be surrounded by people who think. One of our local judges allowed the occutards to resume their occupation of a park in New Orleans because he 'felt' they had the right to stay there, even tho it violated local laws. This was, naturally, a federal judge.

I fear judges appointed for life. I find these judges will use their courtrooms to advance an agenda that has been rejected at the ballot box. I think that in an emergency these life tenured judges would not hesitate to strip the countryside of any products necessary to satisfy the unthinking hunger of the cities.

If SHTF, I want to be outside the immediate sphere of control of the cities that are the residences of these appointed judges and their minions. I don't think I could escape them entirely, but I want enough time to carry out my survival plans for hiding weapons, stockpiled necessities, etc. I think that a small, unincorporated village would be best for me.

A question for you, my friends. You have the state you want to live in, now where in that state do you want to live if SHFT? A city, town, village, or alone in the countryside? If around people, how many - 10,000, 100,000 . . . . ? If in the countryside, how far away from other people?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I'm back, friends. I have finally started to move out of zombie land. I didn't realize how much the death of a spouse shifts one's view of the universe.

I realized 2 things a long time age:
1. I am not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, nor am I the dimmest.
2. I am a follower, not a leader.

Now I need to add a third: I need to be around people. I was never so lonely as when I went to sleep in that empty bed. I now know I can't live out in the country alone, so I will be looking for a village close enough to a fair sized town that I can travel to easily, say within a day by donkey or boat.

A disagreement with a family member about the funeral arrangements brought something else to mind. There was an expression of opinion by one family member (who shall remain nameless) that cremation was a sin. When I asked her for supporting documentation from the Bible (we are both Christians), she couldn't find anything. She said she 'felt' it was a sin.

People like her, people who 'feel', scare me. I prefer to be surrounded by people who think. One of our local judges allowed the occutards to resume their occupation of a park in New Orleans because he 'felt' they had the right to stay there, even tho it violated local laws. This was, naturally, a federal judge.

I fear judges appointed for life. I find these judges will use their courtrooms to advance an agenda that has been rejected at the ballot box. I think that in an emergency these life tenured judges would not hesitate to strip the countryside of any products necessary to satisfy the unthinking hunger of the cities.

If SHTF, I want to be outside the immediate sphere of control of the cities that are the residences of these appointed judges and their minions. I don't think I could escape them entirely, but I want enough time to carry out my survival plans for hiding weapons, stockpiled necessities, etc. I think that a small, unincorporated village would be best for me.

A question for you, my friends. You have the state you want to live in, now where in that state do you want to live if SHFT? A city, town, village, or alone in the countryside? If around people, how many - 10,000, 100,000 . . . . ? If in the countryside, how far away from other people?
I agree with you. The ideal location would be a couple of miles outside of a small established community that still has a commercial center. That means workshops, trading centers, doctors, and some kind of cohesive government.

I always find the poseurs in this forum to be kind of funny. These self-described badasses smugly think if they have a year's worth of freeze-dried rations, some ammo, seeds, and a water supply, they're in high cotton and the rest of the world be damned.

Guess what? Unless you plan on living in a lean-to in the deep woods, you'll need some basic society. And if you do plan on living in a lean-to in the deep woods, you'll live as long as your ammo lasts or you stay healthy. And, to be honest, if you're living off treebark, shivering out in the woods with the clothes rotting off your body, worrying about every snap of a twig in the distance, then are you really surviving at all?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
My condolences on your loss.

Quote:
... People like her, people who 'feel', scare me. I prefer to be surrounded by people who think. One of our local judges allowed the occutards to resume their occupation of a park in New Orleans because he 'felt' they had the right to stay there, even tho it violated local laws. This was, naturally, a federal judge.

I agree.

Quote:
... If SHTF, I want to be outside the immediate sphere of control of the cities that are the residences of these appointed judges and their minions. I don't think I could escape them entirely, but I want enough time to carry out my survival plans for hiding weapons, stockpiled necessities, etc. I think that a small, unincorporated village would be best for me.

As I was nearing my retirement, and we still had not located a retirement home, we discussed this topic many times.

Before finally deciding on a state. At the time it was a state that I had never been to. But from our research it seemed the best from the given context.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Quote:
I don't think I could escape them entirely, but I want enough time to carry out my survival plans for hiding weapons, stockpiled necessities, etc. I think that a small, unincorporated village would be best for me.

Ah, my dear "sister", if you recall, you and I have discussed this in the past.

We had never been to this state before. I only found it by randomly punching in the size/type/price of property we wanted on LandsofAmerica.com - and after 3 years, this one popped up. We had never considered it; we were looking elsewhere, in places we had been. In 2007, I was all over C-D in those states, asking questions about the towns and areas in which we were looking. None matched exactly what we wanted.

This piece is on the far edge of a town of 145 people. The first thing I and daughter did was to go sit in the local bar and listen to people talk. They were (and are) for the most part, hardworking, independent, mind-yer-own-biznez people. If you are doing something on your property they don't understand/have never seen, they'll ask what and why - but it has nothing to do with stopping you, just people trying to understand how you fit in. We get kidded (a LOT) about our mini-cows and mini-horse, about the greenhouse, about DH and my lifestyles. But - after 3 years - I feel quite comfortable in saying that we 'fit in'. They know that we carry (when our neighbors or we make the trek to Cabela's, we buy ammo for each other!), they know we are not wastrels or goof-offs. They know we will help without being asked, just as they do. They know we will share knowledge and ability - just as they do. We have developed quite a comfortable niche, where barter and co-operativeness are a way of life.

"Living wild" or packing a bug-out bag, or trying to cache supplies here, there, and over yonder, has never appealed to me. IF the SHTF, I will make my Last Stand here - and so will my neighbors.

So looking for a place where like minds and like attitudes are prevalent was a must as far as we were concerned. The wide-open spaces, the clean air, clean water, and lack of ordinances help too! I don't mind being alone, in fact I mostly like it - but being around people whom we can depend on - and who feel that they can depend on us - is, we feel, important for mutual survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness