Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
While I can't say I am trilled with the Ar-15 dumping hot brass in my belt when i don't wear any shirts shooting.
For that very reason, my Stag Arms AR-15 is the only truly lefty rifle I own. AFAIK, they're the only ones who make lefty uppers, and guess what? They don't charge extra! The rest of my "regular" rifles, bolt or semi-auto, are righties. Like you, I have learned to shoot, cycle and reload them as fast as any righty. I DO have a couple of scars on my forehead, from being hit by hot, sharp-edged brass ejected from an M-1 carbine. I also have a small burn scar on my right eyelid from when an ejected .308 brass got stuck behind my eyeglasses.

As to cowboy rifles, I guess my reproduction 1860 Henry rifle and 1866 Winchester carbine represent the first truly ambidextrous rifles. Just like the originals they eject UP rather than left or right. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "hatful of brass", dontcha know?

By the same token, I think the Ithaca Model 37 was the first ambidextrous pump shotgun -- it ejects DOWN rather than left or right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I don't own a Ar -15 but my son does. I get chances to shoot his irons sometimes. I have no use of the .223 rnd myself. As I see it, or in other words my opinion is that round is too light in my woods for deer. The .308 version might be ok, but I have what I consider as good if not better bolts for that, if I even used brass catrdiges to hunt deer. Since around 78 I have used rock locks for just about all hunting, for deer and birds.

It's a good bet the next gun I get will be another rock lock if I can find the right one, or maybe build it myself, as I have sometimes in the past. I am kinda ambitious for something in 0.62 with rifleing, so I can share .600 round ball in a rifle, smoothbore and pistol. I already have the smootie and the pistol. A jager would be about right, but then they are pretty short. So it might be a southern Long tom caintuckaway poor'boy, and most likey be a righty lock, since i deal with them faster.

The entire problem there is priming the pan. I just can't seem to adjust to priming the pan. My shoulder bags hangs on my right ribs up high, and getting to the blasted left sided pan to prime is nuts.

The only option is to drill the vent bigger and have a main charge self prime the pan, unless i can get untangled somehow. Some of this is important as many rock lock stocks end up cast off.

A righty lock is either right where I want it, or I learned so backwards it seems natural.

I like side by sides in modern shotguns because i can load these righty and never remove my left hand from the wrist of the stock. That just makes all kinds of sence to me.

With a canvass bag made for shooting skeet, I 'could' load and shoot faster than any man with a pump, or semi gun. They loose too much time reloading.

My father learned to hate that ability He used to throw for my brother and I.. see I do know a little grammar

He would look at me and ask if i was ready, I would be looking at the ground with the gun lowered ahead and pointed down too, I just looked like i was sleeping standing up.

Dad would start hollerin' at me and I said as i was. My brother a righty was shouldering his shot gun in the std ready possition.

Finaly in Dad's frustration he would throw the clay, and I would snap shoot the caly before my brother could get pointed. Then Dad did more hollering. Yelling for me to let my brother have a chance. LOL

So I would wait looking down at the ground to hear my brothers gun speak. Then if he missed, I would take the clay, just further out.

One day both Dad and my brother got tired to throw so I just threw for myself. Man did they hate that! I do throw righty..... That looks impressive, but isn't a bit. It's the same thing as tossing a ball yourself and wacking the ball with a bat. Pretty boring once the truth is known.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I don't own a Ar -15 but my son does. I get chances to shoot his irons sometimes. I have no use of the .223 rnd myself. As I see it, or in other words my opinion is that round is too light in my woods for deer.
You'll get no argument from me. The .223 round is great for varmints, be they four-legged or two-legged. Its not so good for anything bigger/tougher to kill than a 'yote or a human. That includes deer (and wild pigs).

Old 05-29-2011, 12:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
You should absolutely include firearms in your survival plan. They should be treated like tools, each with their own purpose. The saying that "a handgun is used to get where you left your rifle" couldn't be more true.

My G17 is the favored hg and I'm eyeing a Keltec 308 bullpup because of the all around stopping power and ultra compact design. Much better than my M1, though rounds are costly. I'm not so sure that a .22 would be good to have because of the false sense of protective power. They are very good for kids to practice with though.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Hmmm. Well I've certainly read of many deaths inflicted by a .22LR over the years, so they must have the potential to be deadly.

Within the effective range of the .22LR and assuming a well-placed bullet, I'll bet someone shot with a .22LR will be just as dead as someone shot with a .50 BMG. Again, I'm assuming proper range and bullet placement to a lethal spot. Sure it's small and doesn't have much "stopping power," but I think folks discount the .22LR too often. In the hands of a skilled marksman (which I'm certainly NOT), a .22LR is deadly. It has even seen limited police and military sniper usage--big reason is that it's quiet, but still, if it's used in that roll at all, it must be considered deadly when the bullet is properly placed.

Personally, I think a .22LR might just be the most useful out of the SHTF arsenal. Of course, I wouldn't want it to be my only firearm, but I'll bet it would be most used. Firearms in a survival situation are not only about blowing intruders away, and a good rifle chambered to .22LR is quite the "utility firearm." And even if you don't have any faith in a .22LR at all, their is still no denying they are way cheaper for practice (and plinking) and just plain fun to shoot for everyone.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM

I wouldn't discount the puny .22. It would depend on the situation. First of all not even bad guys want to get shot, and springing leaks in SHTF will not be a real great idea. If the bad guy has buddies, by wounding one, you may remove more if they care for him.

As I see it, in SHTF things have gone south to the point there is no need to worry about any Law. At the point it is Dog eats Dog, anything goes. Bad guys will know there is no medical service to go to in the event of getting wounded.

I can't predict if their buddies will care for them or not.

I can predict in such a situation, I aim to take the leader out. Cut off the head, and the rest falls apart.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't discount the puny .22.
Is there an echo in here????

There's an old saying: "If fate hands you lemons, make lemonade."

My modification: "If fate hands you a .22, aim carefully."

Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
I did get my wife a .22 handgun and I have a .22 rifle as well, the problem in a worse case scenario is, I can't reload for a .22. I can reload .270, 7mm Mag, .41 Mag.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
22lr in the face or head anywhere inside 100 yards would be very effective in giving you the upper hand. I can pop a pumpkin the size of human head multiple times with my bolt action at 100 yards in a minute.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Is there an echo in here????

There's an old saying: "If fate hands you lemons, make lemonade."

My modification: "If fate hands you a .22, aim carefully."
Hey!!!!! Look at ME!!!! Me Me see ME!!!! ???

Naw I was just agreeing with Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness