Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:43 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by giney12 View Post
I can bring a hg to bear on you, if you are breathing in my face, dude. you are quite ignorant about this subject. Maybe I can "only" shoot you in the groin at such a range, or have to bend my elbow and shoot you in the temple, but you are KIDDING yourself that a handgun can't be used when, belly to belly. You can have me in a full nelson, and I can STILL shoot you. :-)
giney12, have you ever been in a choke ? Its not like in the movies. If you're not trained for it, you will panic. And you'll be choked out before you can ever squeeze a round off.

Stop talking about shooting people and get back on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
giney12, have you ever been in a choke ? Its not like in the movies. If you're not trained for it, you will panic. And you'll be choked out before you can ever squeeze a round off.

Stop talking about shooting people and get back on topic.
(Sorry to agree with him on that one PART of a point), but no.

I've trained with some people (VERY controlled conditions) where we were choked out...

I can draw and empty a Glock 19 AFTER being put into a Blood choke.

Depending on the person, you have about 8 seconds.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
(Sorry to agree with him on that one PART of a point), but no.

I've trained with some people (VERY controlled conditions) where we were choked out...

I can draw and empty a Glock 19 AFTER being put into a Blood choke.

Depending on the person, you have about 8 seconds.
Yes, exactly, you're "training" that was my point. Someone with no training panics. I've seen it many times. Even with some higher ranking blackbelts, sometimes they panic.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 PM

191 posts, read 180,925 times
I'm 1st dan, tkd, awarded in Korea, 1973, MooDukKwan branch. Instructor was Moon Hyo Kun, 5th dan. Yes, I've been in a choke. Care to put one on me, with my 9 in my hand? :-) I'd LOVE to show you how ignorant you are! :-)

Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I'm 1st dan, tkd, awarded in Korea, 1973, MooDukKwan branch. Instructor was Moon Hyo Kun, 5th dan. Yes, I've been in a choke. Care to put one on me, with my 9 in my hand? :-) I'd LOVE to show you how ignorant you are! :-)
LMAO !!! Sure, giney12, what ever you say.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:04 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,999 times
Quote:
What's ignorant is you admitting you're a convicted felon that has not had his rights restored in one thread then later bragging about illegally possessing a handgun.

Quote:
It's quite feasible for a felon to have his rights restored, and no, I am NOT talking about a prez pardon, either. Any US congressman can do this. I figure it will cost me about 50k, but since I can clear 1/4K a year with a Title II manufacturer's license, the money means nothing.
it's legal to finish an "80% finished" gun receiver.,

Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
LOVE TO!
John Melvin Davis, 53, was arrested Anthrax Scare? -- <font size = "4">The Drunks Bar </font size "4">

Which would you rather be there?

The ATF or the FBI?

(Which busted you last time?)

Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 PM

645 posts, read 1,276,450 times
Quote:
If I'm within 6 ft of you, I can take that shotgun from you before you can do anything about it. THAT is what I mean by up close, and getting that close is EASY if I hear you coming in the dark, hide and "jump" you. Try using a light or a phone and a longarm, or comforting a scared kid, etc. I can kick open your door and be all OVER you in 2-3 seconds, you won' make out of the room that I enter, much less into another room grab up a pumpgun, rack the action, etc. That is likely to take you TEN full seconds, maybe more. Men do the 100 yd dash in 10 seconds, folks. If he's got a crow bar or hammer in his hand, and throws it as he sees you, you may well only have 1 second after you hear the crash. Your mouth will still be hanging open in surprise-shock.
The topic is, “Home Defense.”

The average burglar/intruder’s athletic ability will generally fall short of 10-second 100-yard dashes.

I can’t speak for others, but I keep weapons loaded with the safety on. There’s no racking of the gun. If other people reside in the dwelling, it’s simple enough to instruct them on firearms safety.

If an intruder’s in my house and within six feet of me, I don’t care if he’s Bruce Lee/Chuck Norris, he’s getting shot as soon as I see him. If I’m armed, and the firearm’s pointed at them, these two men have do not have the ability to disarm me from six feet, and my intention is shoot to kill.

Comforting children and making emergency phone calls are done after the villain has been dispatched.

Lights and long arms: Put a flashlight on it. That would mean one less thing to grab rather than a pistol and a flashlight.

The entire contention that a pistol, semi auto at that is somehow better for home defense defies the logic/proof that’s been around for more than 100 years. The average person is much better served with a shotgun than a pistol. Even experts will agree that a shotgun is the better of the two, and if given a choice, I’m sure that they’d take the shotty.

It seems like the only people that want high tech, pistols, and high capacity magazines on firearms that look like some space age laser gun are ones that read too much, watch movies, and are all caught up into what Hollywood and pop culture blast into our homes. This is about being practical.

Obviously this is a gray area and every situation is different. The bottom line is situational awareness. Without it, firearms are pointless.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
The topic is, “Home Defense.”

The average burglar/intruder’s athletic ability will generally fall short of 10-second 100-yard dashes.

I can’t speak for others, but I keep weapons loaded with the safety on. There’s no racking of the gun. If other people reside in the dwelling, it’s simple enough to instruct them on firearms safety.

If an intruder’s in my house and within six feet of me, I don’t care if he’s Bruce Lee/Chuck Norris, he’s getting shot as soon as I see him. If I’m armed, and the firearm’s pointed at them, these two men have do not have the ability to disarm me from six feet, and my intention is shoot to kill.

Comforting children and making emergency phone calls are done after the villain has been dispatched.

Lights and long arms: Put a flashlight on it. That would mean one less thing to grab rather than a pistol and a flashlight.

The entire contention that a pistol, semi auto at that is somehow better for home defense defies the logic/proof that’s been around for more than 100 years. The average person is much better served with a shotgun than a pistol. Even experts will agree that a shotgun is the better of the two, and if given a choice, I’m sure that they’d take the shotty.

It seems like the only people that want high tech, pistols, and high capacity magazines on firearms that look like some space age laser gun are ones that read too much, watch movies, and are all caught up into what Hollywood and pop culture blast into our homes. This is about being practical.

Obviously this is a gray area and every situation is different. The bottom line is situational awareness. Without it, firearms are pointless.

Thank you, bolillo ! This is exactly what I going to say.

I was just having a talk with my son about situational awareness. It seems to be one of the keys to survival.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times
From my own experience, the best home defense weapon is the one you feel most capable/comfortable using that can be ready when you need it.

That could be a shotgun, or a 9mm, or a meat cleaver or a frickin' cast iron skillet... it really doesn't matter much in the end. It's all down to can you use it and will you use it.

For me, for a close range defensive firearm, I will always chose a 12ga pump shotty... massive cavitation and minimal need to aim perfectly to render your assailant combat ineffective. Back up firearm is a compact H&K 9mm (because I'm a female with small hands LOL). Screw CCW -- I carry my weapons in plain sight, easily accessible in a hip or thigh rig. CCW rigs suck for most women if they have any boobs/hips to speak of... and I can draw from my hip or thigh rig with either hand (being ambi is so awesome!).

As for other home defense weapons.... I've got a kitchen full of lovely butcher knives, and my magnetic kitchen knife rack is only 3 steps from my recliner. I have a lovely set of cast iron skillets, also conveniently only 3 steps from my recliner. I have a hatchet and a poker and a fire extinguisher within a foot of my recliner. And if I'm on the other end of the house... oh, gee, I'm still the same distance from all those things (tiny cabins are great!!) BUT I can now also beat my assailant to death with a can of peas in the pantry or blind them with bathroom cleanser, or dissect them with a scalpel from the med kit.

Upstairs, well, that's where I actually keep my firearms safe, so that's definitely a defensible position... everything is within 2 steps of my bed. But, hey, maybe I'd go for the challenge and electrocute them with enough DC current from my battery bank to fry their little brains. You never know, there are just so many things that can be used as a weapon when you think about it.

So I guess that's my point... be aware, and use whatever is handy that you're comfortable with. Many a foe has been foiled by ad hoc weaponry and defensive guerilla tactics Hell, I'd probably stop them in their tracks if I sloshed the bucket loo on them... ya think?!

"I'm going to... O-M-G!!... what is this sh*t?... O-M-G... this IS... sh*t!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness