Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 AM

191 posts, read 180,907 times

Advertisements

I've seen VERY experienced shooters "short stroke" the pump action when TRYING to beat the times of the autoloaders. :-) ditto having seen guys do the same thing with DA revolvers. they don't let the trigger fully return in their big hurry, so the cyclinder cycles but the hammer won't. If a person can't be bothered to get their autoloader made reliable, then they should just avoid guns altogether, really, they are just too incompetent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giney12 View Post
I've seen VERY experienced shooters "short stroke" the pump action when TRYING to beat the times of the autoloaders. :-) ditto having seen guys do the same thing with DA revolvers. they don't let the trigger fully return in their big hurry, so the cyclinder cycles but the hammer won't. If a person can't be bothered to get their autoloader made reliable, then they should just avoid guns altogether, really, they are just too incompetent.

Running a pump gun against a semi would be a good race. I'ld bet on the semi, with equal shell numbers.

With that said, I am betting you will call me a liar again, when I say a double (side by side) will beat either, with a well trained shooter and a bag of shells on his hip, more so if he is lefty.

The reason is a lefty can hold and trigger the gun, and load 2 shells at a time. Where as the pump, or semi guys will loose time re-loading.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 08-14-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,320 times
Quote:
If worms had teeth, chickens wouldn’t mess with them…

While many people can add all sorts of anecdotal evidence to prove or disprove their point, the bottom line is still this:

In general, the simpler the action, the more reliable it is. The less parts it has, the less likely it is to fail. Hence, a single shot is the most reliable followed by a bolt action, pump action, lever action, and the auto loader brings up the rear as the least reliable firearm. A revolver is almost always guaranteed to work, that can’t be said of a semi auto.

Most guns that people favor have all sorts of garbage on them that’s been made popular by Hollywood movies.

I’ve brought this up several times throughout this thread and I’ve covered it exhaustibly. For the average inexperienced person that has minimal training and isn’t willing to make frequent trips to the range, the pump action 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 2 ¾ inch 00 buckshot will be their best bet due to its simplicity of the action and spread of shot.

As far as short stroking and or other problems with double action pistols, that’s not the firearms fault, that’s a lack of training and or skill. If the person’s that bad, no firearm will serve them well. They are in desperate need of proper training and practice. That’s why I always recommend a 12 gauge pump action riot gun. I know that the average person isn’t going to be willing to spend the time to learn how to properly shoot, so they need to buy the simplest most accurate weapon they can find.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 AM

no longarm is likely to be there when it is needed. the shotgun's pattern spread, at the expected ranges of 10 ft and less, 2-3" wide, is really no help in hitting anything. those who won't bother to learn to shoot the pistol really well, better stick with the 1022 and Stingers, or a High Point 9mm carbine and Cor Bon 100 gr PowRBall jhp's. the shotgun is not easy to use well, up close and fast, and ammo for it costs a lot. remember, having to fire is quite rate, getting the gun pointed at the attacker is by far more important than the power of the round involved.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 AM

this is really like asking what car to pick if you can't be bothered to learn to drive, you know? Best stay out of the driver's seat if you can't drive, you are a menace to everyone else. Ditto having guns if you can't really handle a high stress shooting incident. Better stick to precautions, maybe a walking stick and bear spray?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 AM

bolillo, you should see my Tacticool flintlock!

It's got a ranger finder, GPS, metal dector, 16 flashlights, the bayonet has more tools and blades than a Swiss Army Knife. There is a propane side walk ice melter which doubles as a weed burner, and it has a 454 cubic inch engine!

LOL NOT..........

Any long guns I have with scope, mostly don't have iron sites.
I don't own a gun that can hold a flash light with out duct tape. Come ta' think of it, I don't have any duct tape on any of my guns.

Nope I have no tacticool stuff at all, unless a plain ol flintlock just is.

I figure so long as there is wheel weights, lead pipe (rarer) and lead flashing (getting rarer) on sills, and chimneys, I can shoot forever.

I do make effort to get my round ball back, as they can be cast again.

I have enough lead on hand (all cleaned and cast in ingots) to sink a boat, and I even used it once to sink my own boat. I needed to know how many pounds it would take, so I would never add that much weight to my gun boat. The idea was to have the boat fill up full of water in a capsize and not have it go straight down.

1, I didn't want to loose the boat, and 2, I didn't want to loose the 45 pound gun bronze gun. (1750's swivel gun, aka cannon, cast from an original found on the USA/ Canada border. A relic of the French and Indian War)

Oh man, the fish cops were all over me for sinking my own boat on purpose in chest deep water. They just could not 'fathom the idea.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM

A spring bow makes more sense than a flintlock. Misfiring, hangfiring, noisy, corrosive, stinking, target obscuring smoke, which marks your location for enemies? Not for anyone with any sense. There will be enough .22lr left for 20 years after shtf, and having nothing but a silly single shot will get you killed for sure. At least the springbow is silent, reaches 40m or so, has "ammo" that is reusable and homemakable and it's concealable, too. CAn reload it in 10 seconds, as vs 60 seconds for the silly flintlock.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:43 PM

I can get a lot more than one shots off in 60 seconds than one. But do go on an tell me all about flintlocks. So far no deer I ever shot, got back up to shoot back yet. I have been doing that as long as you have been reading about guns.

This isn't to say i don't have some .22's and assorted other guns. But to me anyway a flintlock makes good sence in shtf for hunting wild game. That fact alone would conserve my .22s, since I can't make them.

Oddly I don't seem to suffer hang fires, misfires, or flashs in the pan. My flinters speak every time I pull the trigger. I can even start fire with a flintlock gun that's loaded. and not use any powder, or fire the gun. You can't do that with a bow.

I can do bows, and I can tip them in chert. It isn't legal to use stone points now, but in shtf it won't be any problem.

But you tell me all about flintlocks. I am dyin ta' read this blather.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM

827 posts, read 1,673,072 times
Quote:
if you can't really handle a high stress shooting incident.
HOW many high stress shootings have you EVER been in? There isn't a person in the world who knows how they'll handle a shooting till it happens. I've seen tough talking guys fold up and blubber like little babies and small quiet women just sit there and tell the story and not a quiver in their voice. I'm smelling a troll

Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
HOW many high stress shootings have you EVER been in? There isn't a person in the world who knows how they'll handle a shooting till it happens. I've seen tough talking guys fold up and blubber like little babies and small quiet women just sit there and tell the story and not a quiver in their voice. I'm smelling a troll
Nah, just Gunkid... Or a remarkable facsimile of. I'm finding some of the postings hilarious. Just go along with it for the ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness