Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 12:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Huh

That means = Me thinks.
Nope. Somehow the system converted the into that other thingy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Yup, the recoil is a bit more than a 12-gauge shooting slugs. Enthusiastic, but manageable.

The deflected muzzle blast from the brake is rough. Once at the range, a fellow was shooting a bolt-action .50 BMG. He was courteously announcing to all around when he was about to touch one off, so we could take appropriate measures.

Once he forgot. I was two benches away. The blast took my baseball cap right off my head and sent it sailing another three benches down the line...

Really like a 12 and a few slugs? That's a little dissapointing to hear.

I got to shoot a Weatherby in .458 once and that thing rocked me hard. Being built more like a basket and not a sturdy oak I just flowed with it. But once was plenty for me. If there were something to hunt with it then I might shoot.

I can load the Bess with a load that will move the hardest hard core guys.

Anyone in? I won't pay for a broken shoulder though.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
One of the salesmen at a local gun shop owns (I think, a Barrett) .50 BMG. I asked him how it is shooting one of those monsters. He told me that with the muzzle brake, the recoil isn't that bad... but, the concussion is crazy. The first time he shot his, he tells me it actually knocked the lenses out of his eyeglasses.

Barrett's Muzzle Break cuts felt recoil by 62.something% IIRC (I used to be a Barrett Armorer)

Skip the AR .50... it's not able to be taken down and is practically impossible to shoot weakhanded.

There are plenty of AR uppers for the .50, I have a Safety Harbor in addition to my Barrett, but I was looking at the Ferret (Yes like the animal) pretty hard)

Old 06-30-2011, 11:42 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Barrett's Muzzle Break cuts felt recoil by 62.something% IIRC (I used to be a Barrett Armorer)

Skip the AR .50... it's not able to be taken down and is practically impossible to shoot weakhanded.

There are plenty of AR uppers for the .50, I have a Safety Harbor in addition to my Barrett, but I was looking at the Ferret (Yes like the animal) pretty hard)

I own 3 50's, a Barrett MK82A1, a Barrett 99 and a Armalite AR50, I like all 3 and would not trade them. the AR50 takes a bit to get used to shoot weakhanded, but not impossible.

the best place on all 3 if you are going to watch them being shot is directly behind the person doing the shooting.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I own 3 50's, a Barrett MK82A1, a Barrett 99 and a Armalite AR50, I like all 3 and would not trade them. the AR50 takes a bit to get used to shoot weakhanded, but not impossible.

the best place on all 3 if you are going to watch them being shot is directly behind the person doing the shooting.

As A cross dominant shooter (Right handed, left eyed) who shoots rifles left handed I would say that it is nearly impossible to shoot comfortably in a position given to long range accuracy.

YMMV

Old 07-01-2011, 03:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I heartily agree! You do NOT want to be off to one side, and particularly not in the "blast zone" of the muzzle brake.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
As A cross dominant shooter (Right handed, left eyed) who shoots rifles left handed I would say that it is nearly impossible to shoot comfortably in a position given to long range accuracy.

YMMV
How did this come to be? I was born lefty and forced to switch.

Turns out I do domestics righty, shoot hand guns righty, but am left master eyed, and shoot long guns lefty, as most other so called sports lefty.
Did you come to this by yourself, or were you forced to it?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:27 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,368 times
Your best bet is to park a tank in front of your house. Then, build a perimeter around the house with a 20 meter section of landmines, and fence it off. After that fenced section, you need some tigers in yet another fenced section.

Lastly, you will need a guard tower that is manned 24/7.

As a backup, I would build a panic room under the bed in case the boogie man, or mutants get in the house.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
How did this come to be? I was born lefty and forced to switch.

Turns out I do domestics righty, shoot hand guns righty, but am left master eyed, and shoot long guns lefty, as most other so called sports lefty.
Did you come to this by yourself, or were you forced to it?

11% Of the population is Cross Dominant.

Ether Right handed and Left eyed, or Left Handed and right eyed.

We were born this way.

It is more natural for me to shoot pistols right and rifles left.

CQB training, or out to a couple hundred yards, especially with red dots...
I can do ether about equally well.

Precision... Lefty.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 AM

I switch un-noticed sometimes, but mainly I shoot long guns lefty. I was born lefty and beaten to be righty. I really was. My 1st grade class teacher has polio on her left side.

The result for me was a seat in the trash can at the head of the class and to get wacked with a yard stick. In 1955 school was a little different. I didn't know what Christmass Vacation was, but when it came I liked that, and when it ended I didn't return to school. Instead I hid out in a old no longer used dynamite shack in the woods.

The school did get around to calling my mother in March.

I am not the best shot there ever was, but I can hold my own. A 03 Springfield bolt gun makes me look better than I am. Something is magical about that gun. S&W pistols seem to share that IMO.

The K-98 comes real close too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness