Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,996,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
1. Shelter

2. Water

3. Food

4. Clothing

5. Family

6. God

7. Medical supplies

8. Firearms and ammo (self defense)

9. Tools

10. Knowledge

Nice list, really it is, but either you worked for 10, or I am not sure what.

5 Family isn't needed to survive, as there are single folks all left that's of a family. But I still appreciate the idea.

8 firearms are just tools.

10 is a no brainer, and assumed. To bad people don't use it more often huh? (not a wise crack aimed at you)

7 meds is tools too.

Sometimes modern man list emergency items like whistle and signal mirrors as one of the base 5 , but these are just tools, and not everyone wants to be found.

6 God, you won't find me whining, but that's likey to be a can of worms. I got my mustard seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 PM

FTA, No computer fer you

Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,534,852 times
Thanks for the replies. Off the cuff you can have a "top 10" it is after much thought they break into categories.

FTA, we have a binder that we print an put those PDF's in. We have an ipad that is easy enough to tote but electricity would be an issue.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,700,592 times
Since I won't be leaving if the SHTF, hunkering down and waiting will be my sole option. We picked this place primarily because of its lack of surrounding impacts; i.e., no hurricaines, no floods (hills and sandy soil), no earthquakes, no tsunamis, no military bases, no nuclear power plants or storage facilities, no large population of folk to either defend against or have to feed. All we have to be concerned about (barring Yellowstone blowing its top or a 2012 cataclysm that we wouldn't survive anyway) are the infrequent tornadoes and the occasional blizzard, travel won't be an option for too many either to this place or from it. So the top 10 things we have to have are:

1)DH - he is mechanically inclined and can make anything work.

2) Lots of wood for the woodstove. (We are constantly scavenging for wood; even when we have huge piles, we are always on the lookout for more)

3) grinding stones for lots of very sharp implements, for cutting, harvesting, butchering, and even a quick kill.

4) our dog. Sounds kinda silly, but with DH's handicap our herd dog can bring the cattle home in 5 minutes or less, from anywhere in the pasture. He is also a great early warning system and is afraid of nothing, not even snakes, coyotes, or humans. He'd take a bullet for either one of us, and all it would do would **** him off - which would give us time to reload.

5) Our guns and reloading packs.

6)our water resource (windmill driven pump)

7) heirloom plant seeds (I harvest them from our plants, plants I find and want, and have a backup supply)

8) canning jars and supplies

9) lots of leather, as well as bungee cords, straps, nylon, twine, rope - from harnesses to tie-down straps to something to support new fruit trees, we tie up everything!

10) ham radios w/ power sources (still need to get this for us and our family members) when everything falls down, communication with our far-flung family - especially if they are en route here - is key. Also a way to find out what is going on in the rest of the world when TV, radio, and the Internet go down - for whatever reason.

I left out medical supplies because, well, Like Mac says they are tools.. and a clean sheet and two sticks for splints are always available. Everything else (having been in EMS) we have hoarded!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,506,895 times
Gee...some great lists here.

But nobody remembered to bring the TOILET PAPER! WAAAaaahhhhh!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

That made my day.....

Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,525,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

I was actually going to add an addendum yesterday saying I forgot my "sanitary" category (which I think includes T.P, as well as something like a makeshift solar shower set-up). Forgot to post that. :|

Also, I value having some communications abilities and would probably include one or more of my radios (I am a scanning enthusiast, so have many different kind of radios). Not exactly a "necessity" in most cases, but it is a nice perk to have... and all the more desirable if the situation is long-term.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM

The problem with TP is it takes space and isn't really needed. It sure is common, and I find any time I go in the woods where folks have used it with no license. And that just sets me off. Grrrrrrrr

And with 10, why not everything else we own? Just bring the whole dam house, why not?

I can't list any 10 items and if i did, it is likely no gun would make the list.

I got things in my bug out basket pack no one else would dream of, like draw shave, a apx 12 inch circle of deer hide, cotton face clothes, and other wacked out stuff I can use for more than one thing, or make other things from.

Any of my flintlock possible bags contain tools to run the gun, and each bag has tools for that gun, and tools for other things. Some is redundant, since the gun is a fire starting tool of it's own, and with no powder lost in the doing, or lost lead either.

Any round ball can be used for other things like split shot for fishing, made into dice for games, Games will be big in SHTF. I know because my SHTF already came and went, but lasted a full 3 years. I have even left birch bark notes written with a round ball to folks in the past. A flat rock and a round rock makes it easy to pound out a pencil from one round ball.

In those 3 years I sure didn't have funds for TP! if I had I would have had no place to keep the stuff dry. And then what? Use it once?

Where the hell in shtf are we gonna get more............ of anything?

The face cloths are for that indignity, and can be washed after each use. Cleaned and boiled they can be dressing for bullet holes in my body, since I don't plan to drop like they do on the tv. I plan to run and hide like a deer, and lick my wounds, and get that nasty bullet dug out after I consume a fair share of apple jack, just like deer do, and with the very same face cloth.

I will use that cloth untill is has no more possible use, and then make char of it. Before that happens it will swab my flintlock guns.

While I don't plan to move in SHTF, I still have that pack basket loaded and can in under a minute. Put it on and walk right now...

There is needles and threads, and all sorts of things in that pack, and in other articals of every day clothing I wear every day.

It's just normal for me. If I am in the mountians camping I can fix seams on my gear quickly, and or create a toggle buttons in a heartbeat if a zipper blows out.

Once I blew a seam on my sleeping bag vapor barrier in -40 and that got my down feathers wet. I sewwed that back up before breakfast, and hung that and my sleeping bag in the trees at tree line to sublimate out and be ready for the next night. Countless times I have blown out seams in my mocs. No big deal, just set down and fix it.

I do both dead winter camping at -40 and colder, modern and primitive. The primitive events are called Frozen Toes. As of late my generation is lacking and each time there is less company, but I still go and will past alone. These days most everything like that is alone anyway, unless my Bride comes along.

Even with most of these items, each and everyone is nothing more than weight, and for the weight a luxury.

Oh Hell once I used to pack a cased set of wine glasses with tall stems, and a fancy dinner jacket made of blue velvet to just goof on tourist hikers. I had white wine and lobster on the trail, in that jacket wearing quick dry cargo shorts, and Limmer boots just to jack up a conversation.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Where the hell in shtf are we gonna get more............ of anything?

I will be dead LONG before I run out of ammo.

Some years ago century ran a special... 440 round cans of 8mm and 440 round cans of 7.62x54R.... $30 delivered.

That was after I picked up the M44's for $37.50 (Delivered)
Cracked Stock specials... the stocks were repaired.

My $100 Mauser isn't wearing out...

Old 07-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Ugg we both wish ammo cost that anymore.

I got a deal for you, if you want it. I have some 8mm rnds and no gun for them anymore. These are greek mil surplus and about every other round won't fire due to hard primers.

If you want shoot me a dm with an address you can pick up at, and I will UPS these to you for free.

I pay the shipping.... no cost what so ever to you. These would be fine with new primers. I am not sure if you can replace these primers though. I am thinking you can't.

On the other hand I can't with you, is likely to be the same as it is for me, and we both could if we thought the effort was worth it.

I know if it were me, I would pull the slug, dump the powder and fire the old primers. Then make a 3 prong punch to drive out the old primers. The rest is history.

I might have a little ammo put away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness