Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Gunkid is back!!!

Wonder how long it will be this time before he is banned from this site?

The only thing I can say is that no matter how badass we think we are, there is someone else who is more badass than each of us. Which means we all do what we can and hope we land on the right side of probability. Some of us do it the right way and some of us do it the wrong way. If I die doing it the right way, so what? Personally, I'd rather be the person who has balls enough to support himself in a bad situation, rather than the douchebag who has to become a parasite in such a situation. But then I'm a firm believer in karma; nobody really gets away with anything sleazy in the end anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm a firm believer in karma;
Which are you, Hindu or Buddhist?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Which are you, Hindu or Buddhist?
You don't have to subscribe to any religion to believe in the concept. That's the case with me. I don't accept the premise of a pointless existence without purpose. Whether I'm correct or not, I do not know--but then neither does anyone else. So we're square. We do not know, so we come up with our best guess--and I would conjecture that we come up with what we would hope for in the "beyond." Some of us hope there is nothing. Some of us hope there is more to the story than that.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Gunkid is back!!!
Whooooff!!!

YOU guys deal with that...I've had enough! (he says as he clicks off this thread).

Old 01-27-2012, 03:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Okay, then here is your chance to strut your stuff and educate the good people on this forum, instead of attacking the messenger for educating people and raising issues and points beyond your ability to comprehend.

Given the choice of planting wheat or corn, tell these good people which one they should plant, but more importantly, explain to these good folks why you chose the crop you did, because it could save their lives.

Educating...
Mircea
Sigh.

It's what I and most of us have been doing on here - me since 2007.

And I don't tell people which they "should" plant - it is up to them, where they live, what kind of soil they have, what kind of weather they have, their own particular physical situation and abilities, what apparatus they have (horses, plows, even the ability to make ethanol to run their own equipment), even allergies to wheat gluten - all delimiters that you are too busy high-handedly insulting people to recognize. People have the right as well as the responsibility to educate themselves and make their own decisions based on their own knowledge and experiences.

Just because you have found what works for you in your area and with your own delimiters doesn't mean that you are absolutely right and everyone else is absolutely wrong, or 'an idiot' as you are so fond of claiming.... Gunkid.

But, since you ask - I'm planting both, according to my needs and my own delimiters.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You don't have to subscribe to any religion to believe in the concept. That's the case with me. I don't accept the premise of a pointless existence without purpose. Whether I'm correct or not, I do not know--but then neither does anyone else. So we're square. We do not know, so we come up with our best guess--and I would conjecture that we come up with what we would hope for in the "beyond." Some of us hope there is nothing. Some of us hope there is more to the story than that.
Karma is the notion that what an individual does in this incarnation determines what he will be in his next incarnation from a fly to a Brahmin. It's very specific as are all words borrowed from Sanskrit.

Illiterate but wealthy singers and clerks in health food stores didn't originate the term.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:09 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
At least you have the right idea. If you have a backhoe, you can dig a tank trap ditch. That will force them to bring engineers up with the scissors bridge or something, and you can shoot and harass them.

Also, if you have been studying the reports coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan, the M1 doesn't do too well against fire, and neither does the M2/M3.

Flame throwing...

Mircea
Actually we plan to use several dozer's to push earth around the perimeter barricade of junk cars on the north, south and west, East side has a river already and we'll park the coal train on our side of the bridge to back that up....We are equiped to wire the bridge.... We are or would be weak in triple A and counter battery capabilitys. But we're buddying up to some NG guys in a SPG unit to help with that

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Laughing at "preppers"...

Mircea

I'll laugh with you. These people are so afraid of social stigma that they're won't even call themselves survivalists. They'll die in their happy "diverse" neighborhoods when they run out of food to provide for the unfortunate who need their charity. They'll live until then because the "unfortunate" will want people to handle the cooking and clean up.

There'll be plenty of action in the cities and suburbs. I look for people like you, immigrants, to refuse to surrender and mount resistance. If I were stuck there I'd be with that group,

Rural America will scarcely be monolithic. There are small towns where everyone knows everyone else. But there are also places where most residents are transplants wished to escape the urban foulness. Most of these people keep their mouths shut. If people are far enough from population centers they are unlikely to be molested. By far I mean at least a hundred miles from a major metropolitan area. I'm four hundred miles away in an obscure location. If trouble comes I'll have no choice but to fight. I'll probably die; but I'll die game.

I ran across this work a few days ago; it illustrates the courage the Indo-European can muster. Scroll down to page 53 and read about Bill Rhodes first. Then read the whole chapter. The author's remarks on Apache bullets are interesting.

CHAPTER II. INDIANS—MASSACRES—OUTRAGES—RAIDS

Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Karma is the notion that what an individual does in this incarnation determines what he will be in his next incarnation from a fly to a Brahmin. It's very specific as are all words borrowed from Sanskrit.
Correct. It's a concept that has the specific origins (as far as we know) that you pointed out. And as I said, I do subscribe to the concept, even if I don't necessarily subscribe to the religion/philosophy-specific details. It's a theme that comes up in many religions. But one does not have to be an alcoholic in order to have an occasional drink.

Quote:
Illiterate but wealthy singers and clerks in health food stores didn't originate the term.
Huh? Never been in a health food store... are they offering free religion classes in the checkout lines?

As far as "wealthy singers," I love music (it's a huge part of my life), but I disagree with almost everything most "famous" singers/musicians have ever said that wasn't music related. I appreciate the musical talent... but that doesn't make a music "star" an expert on much of anything beside his/her music. Same applies to hollywood stars, sports heroes, etc. I have no idea why anyone would give more than a grain of salt's worth of heed to anything they have to say about topics outside of their field.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:42 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Rebut someone on the merits. That's fine. Claim that he's a former poster who has changed his user name and returned, and I call BS. Not BS in the sense that it's impossible for the conjecture to be correct, but in the sense that it really just amounts to a personal attack and an insult. At least I would be insulted if someone claimed I was someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness