Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM

25,750 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
So, I don't think being close to public land is a good thing. I have lived both adjacent to, and near public land in the past, but times are different. People are already squatting on public lands in greater numbers because they have nowhere else to go; and greater restrictions are being adopted as a result, and I think ND was one of the first places I read about this. How long before they are dealt with in aggressive ways if you know what I mean. I don't want those state or fed entities defending the lands in my backyard either.
Yes, that's one thing that I've been keeping a very close watch on in ND. With the oil boom going on, there are lots of people with very little housing. Fortunately for me, I chose the eastern part of the state (for other reasons) and the big oil boom is in the western part of the state.

Probably the biggest reason I'm leaving Utah is the overpopulation problem (at least in the area I live and in my opinion). I watched it happen over the course of my lifetime from when I moved here with my family (as a kid) to a little farm practically in the middle of nowhere... to what is now a major metro area. I just hope that the same sort of thing won't happen in ND with the big oil and big money coming in. I'm banking that the extremely low population in the state and the fact that most all the real "boomtown" activity is in the western portion of ND will keep the northeast corner the relatively "sleepy" little farming area it is until well after I'm dead and gone.

Quote:
Chances are your own land would already have wild edibles on it, or would come back if you allow some of it to return to its natural state. You can also gather some and get them started on your land, those that are suitable for your particular habitat.
Yes, that is certainly the best way to go about it. You also get familiar with the plants over the course of years and there is little chance of misidentification. Although not my own land, I do that here to an extent, because I concentrate on a relatively small area of public land in my favorite area every year. You kind of get to know each fruit tree, berry bush, thicket of oak and which years there will be good acorn production, and even the types of greens that grow along the creek. I'll certainly be looking for areas like that in ND, but I also plan to let at least some of my own land produce the same sorts of plants, because many are very common all over the US and will grow fine there as well. Just a matter of getting them started if they aren't already there.

Last edited by ChrisC; 08-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: grammar idiocy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
I used to get the "Why did you move there? Nobody moves there." My response, "Exactly."

Even the locals were/still are shocked that we chose here.

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 08-19-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM

25,750 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
I used to get the "Why did you move there? Nobody moves there." My response, "Exactly."

Ha-ha, I get that all the time as well: Why do you want to move there? Nobody wants to live there!

I tell them that is exactly the point.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
As far as restrictions and regulations on foraging in the Northeast, It is not like there is a Ranger behind every tree. There is so much untended edgeland in that region that you could support yourself scavenging wild plants and seafood in the Bronx and no one would lift an eyebrow. Well, people might think you were weird, but...

Now, hunting on random land is another matter, gunfire brings attention, but there is plenty of good hunting land in the Northeast and the place is overpopulated with game animals. I know someone who regularly poached deer with bow in Yonkers which is 10-15 miles from midtown Manhattan. Good White Oak fed venison from America's largest metro area :-)

Old 08-25-2012, 01:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As far as restrictions and regulations on foraging in the Northeast, It is not like there is a Ranger behind every tree. There is so much untended edgeland in that region that you could support yourself scavenging wild plants and seafood in the Bronx and no one would lift an eyebrow. Well, people might think you were weird, but...
It seems when people talk of self-sufficiency it's almost exclusively about what they can do with land; very little talk about what can be used, and how, from rivers and lakes, and never about the sea. I like having access to all those things.

Quote:
Now, hunting on random land is another matter, gunfire brings attention, but there is plenty of good hunting land in the Northeast and the place is overpopulated with game animals. I know someone who regularly poached deer with bow in Yonkers which is 10-15 miles from midtown Manhattan. Good White Oak fed venison from America's largest metro area :-)
We have a big population of deer here; more deer per square mile than humans. We don't poach but I suspect some do. Deer roadkill is a very common sight so many go to waste but the buzzards are fat and happy. Of course that means that the buzzard population is pretty big too which some see as a nuisance but it doesn't bother me.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:

"Exactly" describes it perfectly.

When friends, neighbors, and family learn exactly where in Maine we bought land, they express shock and disappointment. One couple in particular (whom we have invited to visit with us someday) imagined that we would be on the Maine "downeast" seacoast, and had visions of sea breezes and fishing boats and lobster traps and seagulls...whatever. The thought of a far more northerly, inland and more heavily forested place never came to mind, and is nowhere near as appealing.

Which may just be a good thing!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
"Exactly" describes it perfectly.

When friends, neighbors, and family learn exactly where in Maine we bought land, they express shock and disappointment. One couple in particular (whom we have invited to visit with us someday) imagined that we would be on the Maine "downeast" seacoast, and had visions of sea breezes and fishing boats and lobster traps and seagulls...whatever. The thought of a far more northerly, inland and more heavily forested place never came to mind, and is nowhere near as appealing.

Which may just be a good thing!

I can see that.

Before moving to Maine, the only friends we had who vacation in Maine have never been North of Kennebunkport. So they naturally assumed that we would be near that. I still do not think they are aware that Maine extends North and West.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 PM

9 posts, read 8,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
western pennsylvania, only because its beautiful and not as cold as upstate or new england.
Agreed. Cheap too.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:52 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG69 View Post
Agreed. Cheap too.
Really?

What is the lowest price you have seen for 100 acres of land, in Western Penn? And what would the taxes be?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 PM

9 posts, read 8,521 times
You need 100 acres to homestead? Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness