Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

The Common Ground Fair this year [Friday 21 Sept, Saturday 22 Sept and Sunday 23 Sept] will have a workshop on 'backyard grain production' for producing a family's flour needs, on all three days of the fair at 2pm each day. This will be presented by Mr. Will Bonsall. I know him, he produces his family's flour using only hand tools and usually presents very fascinating workshops on the topic. I do not think that he markets any of his wheat though. He is involved with the Scatterseed Project Moose Tubers Scatterseed info

On Friday at 5pm will be a workshop presented by the Maine Wheat Conservancy on the movement to preserve all varieties of wheat in Maine.

On Saturday at 10am will be a workshop by FEDCO on producing wheat for the seed market.

Maine also has a 'Kneading Conference' each year, The Kneading Conference | We provide opportunities to learn and share how best to grow grains and bake breads using local, nutritious, and sustainably-grown ingredients using a combination of traditional and innovative techniques.
a three day event for grain producers, millers and home bakers. One of my customers today was telling me about it. One of the workshops was building outdoor bread ovens. She built one at the conference and hauled it home. She showed it to me, they have had a few neighborhood parties already with it making pizzas.

The grist mill in Skowhegan is called 'Somerset'. SOMERSET GRIST MILL ~ Skowhegan, Maine
While FEDCO markets local produced grain seed, Somerset markets local flours. Of course you can purchase Maine flours at the Common Ground Fair [which is where I have bought it previously]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
Submariner, thanks for the heads up on that. I will google it for a address and tickets prices.. I would very much like learning anything new and of basic use.

scarlet I really like that Google Earth program not I have a fast enough connection to see and use it. I took several 'tours' and have hunted old dead WW-2 U boats with it. Also Titanic.

It only knows what it knows however, and so far i can not find any McKay Clippers, and i do know where one is, but it is not on the maps.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,917 times
Mac, Those tools might be good for someone like the OP (remember him? ) and anyone looking to relocate.

They can get a closeup look at places before visiting. It might save some from making wasted trips too.

Google Earth is good for the aerial views.

Google Maps street view is better. It's like you're there driving down the road. You don't have to download anything to use it.

To use it, go to Google Maps

In the search, enter the location you want to explore. If it's rural, use the name of a nearby town.

When that map comes up you'll see a zoom in/out tool in the upper left hand-corner of the map. Just above that is the pegman (a human icon). Put your cursor on him and grab then drag to a street or highway you want to view. That will give you the street view. Then you can use your mouse to move down the road and look at it as if you are driving it.

If you have trouble learning to navigate it, use this tool for practice:
Street View - Using Street View ? Street View ? Google Maps

You won't be able to go on very remote roads, but you can go on many rural paved roads. At any rate you can usually get close enough to see exactly what the area looks like.

I wish this had been available 12 years ago. It would have saved me some travel time.

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 08-17-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM

I messed up with a typo.

"I really like that Google Earth program not I have a fast enough connection to see and use it."

Not should have been NOW...

Thanks for the tips since my days with Google Earth are number very low.. Maybe 60 something with a fast enough connection.

I sure don't miss 56k dial up .

Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
I use google earth to locate any perspective locale I find.. often there is no street view for the areas I am looking at.. I also enjoy taking a tour of my old neighborhoods when I was a school kid.. that's always a blast..

Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM

I think I just killed a deer in Cal.......

Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Yeah, Google Maps and Google Earth is pretty cool. Although I've only seen part of North Dakota "for real," I've cruised all over the state on Google Maps. Lot's of other places as well--including northern Maine. Saves money!

Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 PM

I tried to get NH on that and can't seem to get it figured... I am also having a bad time moving around.. I need a How To, and 'Learn' does not appear to have that.

I see blue outlined roads for in NH, but can't get the screen to show the pictures....

I am not very good at computers...... The skill sets do not come naturally to me a bit.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM

I find navigation semi difficult. I am messin about though and just eeked my way up Rt 302 into Crawford Notch. And I saw the Elephant Head up there, but have no idea how to get anyone else there to see it unless I take them on my bike.

When I want to be done there is no way to save it and moving with that light gray/white oval is tuff..

Perhaps the tech isn't what i was expecting.......?

Then I get bumped back to the demo mode Central Pk NY.

It took a while to figure who and where to get 'pegman' too....

I am the type of old geezer than needs Step 1, do that, go to Step 2 and so forth.

I can tell you that book was some difficult to understand the wimins though...

Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I use google earth to locate any perspective locale I find.. often there is no street view for the areas I am looking at.. I also enjoy taking a tour of my old neighborhoods when I was a school kid.. that's always a blast..
Many places that I can't get to on Earth street view I can get to on Maps street view.

I find that Google Earth street view is primitive compared to Maps street view - unless there is something I'm missing which is quite possible. I can't really "go" anywhere on Earth street view but I can cruise down highways, turn onto other roads, go up and down streets in a whole town with Maps street view and cruise around all kinds of rural areas. Am I supposed to be able to do that on the Earth street view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness