Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:59 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

We already got a small taste of it here in the big power outage. Apartment dwellers with no food supply, no equipment and no knowledge of the out doors. They lined up at gas stations because they never put more than 1/4 tank of gas but then couldn't buy gas. No ATMs to get cash. There was already reports of people getting robbed at gun point at the only stores that were open taking cash.

Had that lasted another day or two and it was going to get ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 01:05 PM

684 posts, read 514,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I agree with these numbers, if the event were especially severe.

Otherwise, I would hope that the stronger ones would try to help those more vulnerable.

bah... what you'll see is true animal like nature come out of people and they will put themselves first while exploiting in any form anyone who is more vulnerable than them for whatever gain they can get and then discarding them like yesterdays trash. If you think otherwise you're kidding yourself. Either that or reality will serve you up a few doses so quickly you'll "get it" real quick.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:08 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We already got a small taste of it here in the big power outage. Apartment dwellers with no food supply, no equipment and no knowledge of the out doors. They lined up at gas stations because they never put more than 1/4 tank of gas but then couldn't buy gas. No ATMs to get cash. There was already reports of people getting robbed at gun point at the only stores that were open taking cash.

Had that lasted another day or two and it was going to get ugly.
You're right, things can get ugly fast. The people you refer to probably would not want to hear your sentiments on their behavior or lifestyle.

I think the combination of no power and people being used to using credit cards for everything, could combine into an explosive situation, if it lasted more than a week or so.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
bah... what you'll see is true animal like nature come out of people and they will put themselves first while exploiting in any form anyone who is more vulnerable than them for whatever gain they can get and then discarding them like yesterdays trash. If you think otherwise you're kidding yourself. Either that or reality will serve you up a few doses so quickly you'll "get it" real quick.
Oh, I've already "got" that!

But on my part, there are family members that I will be helping. What others do, well.....

Old 12-11-2016, 01:15 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
You're right, things can get ugly fast. The people you refer to probably would not want to hear your sentiments on their behavior or lifestyle.

I think the combination of no power and people being used to using credit cards for everything, could combine into an explosive situation, if it lasted more than a week or so.
I work with people that literally eat out 3 times a day and have a bottle of ketchup in their fridge. Maybe some beer on the weekends.

My hunting group already has a bug out plan. We have no plans of staying in a large urban center with so many poor planners.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:53 PM

136 posts, read 135,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
I really see much of the opening Post as a Total Dechristianized atitude, Seems to me a Jungle Law believer in stead of a Jesús Believer.

Minorities are getting armed to the teeth after Trump won.
No one is going to be attacking minorities just because Trump was elected. There is far too much paranoia in the minority community if more than a few fringe whacko's believe that is a real possibility.

Now, as far as this whole issue of Christianity, I see a lot of the left-leaning social justice warrior types who think that society owes the lazy and unmotivated a handout every other second because the "poor" person is "poor" for some other reason other than them being lazy and unmotivated. Because that's the real reason so many poor are in the bind they're in; they have a life-long pattern of making poor life choices.

Given that reality, a 'Christian" mentality that says give them everything they need with no expectations that they will repay the loan or learn to live responsibility is not a reasonable one. if you want to personally practice such a version of Christian charity, knock yourself out. Open your own home and wallet to fund the wants and desires of the "poor". They'll bleed you dry and resume their whining that the government and the rest of society owes them something for nothing.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:57 PM

136 posts, read 135,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
That is why Only the State should be able to hold guns and the monopoly of armed force. And that is why I really hate Obama for having introduced Massive amounts of Guns to México through DEA Fast and Furious Operation. Because it is clear to me that Obama son of a ... wanted to créate instability in México to use it as a mean of negociation. he assh...
You don't want to live in a society where only the state has the ability to project force through the possession and use of arms. There are enough historical examples of such past societies that I don't understand why people can't learn from the mistakes of history and vow to never repeat such examples.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:09 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
I think your list is pretty much correct.

The medically dependent will not make it.

Those dependent on government aid will be forced to find another source of "aid". When it comes down to it nobody will sacrifice their own family to help others.

The unarmed will likely succumb because not only did they prepare to defend themselves; they most likely did not prepare to survive either. These are the same people that believe food comes from the grocery store.

Children? It depends what type of parent they have.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
There is this idea afoot, that stockpiling food and guns is what everyone should do, if they wish to survive a long-term crisis. While it would be better for this country if more people did that, there are four groups of people who might be less likely to survive, no matter what they stockpile:

1) The Disabled, to include the obese, the insulin-dependent diabetics, the oxygen-dependent, those who need dialysis, those with respiratory issues like COPD or heart ailments, frail elderly, and the mobiliity impaired.
Why: To survive, you must be able to move. People should be able to walk at least an hour, if transportation or gasoline availability is compromised.

2) The Government-Dependent, including welfare recipients, SSDI recipients, the poor, some minorities, alcoholics, drug addicts, those dependent upon prescription pain-killers or opiates.
Why: Such people have a dependency mindset, are not independent of their addictions, or are so poor that they have very few options in life. Anyone who riots or loots will likely be taken out.

3) Anti-Gunners, Peace Types, Tree-Huggers. Such people live in a fantasy bubble. Usually urban liberals and women, they are typically in debt, addicted to trendy fashions, totally in denial that the world as they know it could ever change, are very PC, metrosexual, and antithetical to self-sufficiency.
Why: They will just freak out (as many of them did when Trump was unexpectedly elected). They are emotionally immature, unprepared, spoiled, and unable to deal with adverse events that upend their lives.

4) Children, especially undisciplined children, whose parents try to be "friends" with them, allow them to run around and scream, spoil them, and never insist that they obey parental directives.
Why: An undisciplined child, never taught to obey or follow instructions, may find that it costs them their lives. It's something like an untrained dog who runs into the street and gets killed. Children do not understand life-changing events at first,and should depend upon their parents for their safety.

Can you think of any more vulnerable groups of people?
I mostly disagree with your post.

It is full of stereotypes and misconceptions about groups of people you don't like. For example #3 - most of the "hippie" or "peace" types I know are into organic gardening, canning, composting, exchange and food collectives and are pursuing creative endeavors.

I believe your post is just an attempt for you to feel superior about yourself.

The people who will suffer first will be the elderly and those with medical issues. Ultimately EVERYBODY will suffer.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It is full of stereotypes and misconceptions about groups of people you don't like.
There isn't anybody that I "don't like".

You may disagree with my choice of descriptive terms, and that is your right, but I had to describe them that way so readers would recognize the type of person I was referring to. And by and large, they have. It has nothing to do with feeling "superior".

It has to do with discussing vulnerability of certain groups, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness