Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:45 PM

Location: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who
129 posts, read 66,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Remember you only need one good nozzle regardless of how many cans you have.
Thats funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 11:16 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I hate the new gas cans! I just picked one up for my sister and why can't they simply sell us a gas can with a simple spout that we turn around and can pour out of. Instead the spouts have to have a spring loaded device that is supposed to be compressed so that it will release the gasoline. The problem is that it doesn't unless you break off the one small red piece that prevents it from working properly.
Those are consumer grade portable gasoline containers. Have you looked at using OSHA Safety fuel cans/containers? The Type II probably would suit most preparedness needs.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:01 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Those are consumer grade portable gasoline containers. Have you looked at using OSHA Safety fuel cans/containers? The Type II probably would suit most preparedness needs.
They do run 2 to 3 times more money. Actually some of the military style jerrycans are not that expensive. I was simply complaining about what is offered to the general public today. In the name of safety they have made our gas cans unsafe and they want more money for this junk!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Location: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who
129 posts, read 66,936 times
Quote:
They do run 2 to 3 times more money. Actually some of the military style jerrycans are not that expensive. I was simply complaining about what is offered to the general public today. In the name of safety they have made our gas cans unsafe and they want more money for this junk!
Mine "broke" so I fixed it with a screw.

It works perfectly. But I lost the dang cap. Anybody know what else will fit on the stupid el cheapo walmart plastic gas can? Who makes a gas can lid that has no way to tether it?

Frustrating!

Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Try Walmart. They were $14 each in Hawaii just the other day. I imagine the mainland price should be less.
I just haul any old junk tank and swap it at Walmart/Blue Rhino for a new tank. The Walmart customers don't know anything about OPD valves. You get a current 20 lb. tank full of propane for about $15.

Inspect the tanks, though. I had an Amerigas tank with a bad valve seat. Half the seal was gone, and it spewed propane all over when I tried to use it. Now I take a flashlight and inspect the inside of the valve before taking it home.

I have a bunch of 20# tanks and use them for weed burners, fire pit, etc., but have a 100# tank connected to my 8 kw. propane generator. It rarely gets used, so I expect the same tank to last longer than I will live. All I do is fire up the generator every once in a while to keep the coils magnetized.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I hate the new gas cans! I just picked one up for my sister and why can't they simply sell us a gas can with a simple spout that we turn around and can pour out of. Instead the spouts have to have a spring loaded device that is supposed to be compressed so that it will release the gasoline. The problem is that it doesn't unless you break off the one small red piece that prevents it from working properly.
My local farmer's co-op sells cans with a thumb valve that are easy to use and reliable. The spout is not long enough to fuel a car, though. You have to use a funnel. For farm equipment with an old style gas tank it works fine.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:35 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My local farmer's co-op sells cans with a thumb valve that are easy to use and reliable. The spout is not long enough to fuel a car, though. You have to use a funnel. For farm equipment with an old style gas tank it works fine.
and if you know anyone heading to Mexico, have them buy a couple of the old style spouts. All you need is that spout and a small vent hole (which is easy with a pick and nylon screw) to convert the new ones to old style. I think the problem is getting people to think outside the Walmart box. There are dozens of alternatives but if a person's entire preparedness is based on what Walmart sells, they are in deep trouble.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and if you know anyone heading to Mexico, have them buy a couple of the old style spouts. All you need is that spout and a small vent hole (which is easy with a pick and nylon screw) to convert the new ones to old style. I think the problem is getting people to think outside the Walmart box. There are dozens of alternatives but if a person's entire preparedness is based on what Walmart sells, they are in deep trouble.
It doesn't take a trip to Mexico. You can order a replacement spout from Amazon. Scroll down to the
"also viewed" part. There are dozens of styles and options.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-S...pcontext&psc=1

Old 10-07-2019, 04:17 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It doesn't take a trip to Mexico. You can order a replacement spout from Amazon. Scroll down to the
"also viewed" part. There are dozens of styles and options.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-S...pcontext&psc=1
I would be happy with just the solid caps on that Amazon site; but when did a hunk of plastic become so expensive? The one set they sell has two caps for $6.95 and one cap is fine thread and the other course thread - so we are paying $7 for one plastic cap; since we will never use the one that doesn't fit.

I know that everything cost more today. It is just that not too many years ago a screw on plastic cap would have been very cheap.

My sister originally bought a replacement nozzle for her gas can and it did not fit. It was an entirely different size. I am leery of most claims that one size fits most because I always get the one that it will not fit!

Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
You can thank the EPA for that. The idea is it's self closing so no fumes escape. The reality is most people are spilling a lot of gas making the problem worse.

You can still find diesel/kerosene containers locally but they are blue so it's safety issue and the gas station may give you a problem. Get some plastic spray paint and paint it red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness