Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

While researching this topic, I came across something that might be of interest to those who store diesel instead of gasoline. (Since many of us use both, I decided not to start another thread.) The article is discussing a change in diesel to ultra low sulfur content (reducing from 60 ppm to less than 15 ppm) that occurred about 6 years ago. That seems to be a long time ago, but many of us are still standing on wisdom that was imparted to us longer ago than that.

https://www.bellperformance.com/bell...el-is-changing
Quote:
When that storage tank is opened up, what else might they find besides fuel diesel? If it’s red ULSD, then you’re more likely now than ever before to find microbes and sludge in the tank. ULSD is less resistant to fuel microbes because sulfur used to naturally prevent their growth. It’s not really there any more, and all those tanks of red ULSD are more prone to microbial infection than ever before. Sludge development also goes along with this. “Sludge” is really just made up of the heavier components of the diesel fuel. Healthy red diesel has everything in healthy solution. Introduce microbes, along with longterm exposure to heat and water in the storage tank, and the red diesel fuel becomes unstable, with all those heavy sludge components dropping out of solution and into the tank.

Farm Fuel Additives And Treatment
That’s why farm fuel professionals definitely recommend a healthy PM program on your stored red diesel. A simple regiment of fuel stabilizer and preventive biocide treatment stops the primary causes of sludge in red diesel and keeps it healthy useable for far longer than not. Farmers don't need much, but their fuel definitely can benefit from these kind of fuel fuel additives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 02:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
For those irritated about EPA gas cans, I just ran across a YouTube video on how to modify them so they will work, mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

Old 10-11-2019, 12:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
While researching this topic, I came across something that might be of interest to those who store diesel instead of gasoline. (Since many of us use both, I decided not to start another thread.) The article is discussing a change in diesel to ultra low sulfur content (reducing from 60 ppm to less than 15 ppm) that occurred about 6 years ago. That seems to be a long time ago, but many of us are still standing on wisdom that was imparted to us longer ago than that.

https://www.bellperformance.com/bell...el-is-changing
Some farmers store diesel, I guess, but efficiency considerations make it their primary fuel, and they go through a lot of it. It's rare that stored diesel will get old enough to worry about. I had a neighbor once whose silage chopper ran twin 600 hp Volvo diesels. He went through 250 gallons a day during harvest, plus running several hundred hp. of tractors and trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness