Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Walmart or Target??
Walmart 10 11.90%
Target 59 70.24%
Both are great 10 11.90%
Neither. They both suck. 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
i miss woolworths

Oh, boy. So do I. Those luncheon counters with grilled cheese sandwiches & ice cream sodas (35 cents each). Canaries, jewelry, Tangee lipstick ; you bet I miss Woolworth's. So much fun to wander around.
...and parakeets, goldfish, hamsters, the 25 cent photo booth, candy counters, but most of all Woolworth's was my families, and millions of other families, Christmas store.

Yep, you and many others miss the dime store.

I must admit, when I was eight yrs old I got caught shoplifting at Woolworth's. There were so many neat things there I just couldn't help myself.
No police or anything. My Dad took care of it and I never did it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Yeah, the reel and the Dickies pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
What wouldn't be at Target? The fishing reel?

I have seen definitely seen fishing stuff at Target before, although they may only sell all-in-one kits rather than separate rods and reels.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
i miss woolworths
I grew up in a town which had a Kresge right next to the Woolworth's. Oh, man, you could spend the day in those places! I remember the hair nets and the really unusual granny underwear on the basement level.

I guess WalMart most reminds me of those places. Target just doesn't have enough junk.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Walmart. They have everything. There is a good reason you see more people there. Target is too bland and depressing. They have fewer people working there also, I think about 16 to 20 employees at a time total throughout the store.

Walmart is like a grand all-in-one stop.

Target is like a cross between a Walmart and a dollar store. They have what they have and that's it.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times
Maybe it depends on where you are at there are a lot of nice walmarts and some look like slumbs

Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM

296 posts, read 638,520 times
as i get older i find i really dont want to spend my life in line. i have left a full cart several times. its MY money and My time being used...open another lane or i will leave and give someone else MY money.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
There is going to be a group of responders that will say Walmart is superior to Target in these areas. Walmart has it's groupies that defend it at all costs but so you can't take their responses seriously because they will lie and say anything.

I'm sorry but you have to be brain dead to think Walmart offers better service, is cleaner and has a better clientele. Target charges more money for the same items to deliberately exceed Walmart in these areas. You pay more to shop at Target so you can have a better shopping experience. People don't want to deal with larger crowds, less attractive stores, disorganization and yes the lower socioeconomic crowds. And before someone chimes in and says "We have nice Walmarts here" hey, I live in Phoenix and our Walmarts are immaculate and as nice as any Walmart in the country and they still pale in comparison to Target.

That's not to say only poor people shop at Walmart. I know a lot of rich people who prefer Walmart because price is more important to them than experience and are willing to deal with Walmart's inconveniences in order to get the lowest price possible. However, these same people are not going to lie and pretend Walmart has a better environment. No intelligent and rational person would ever argue Walmart offers better service and an environment than Target. That's like arguing Toyota is more luxurious than Lexus (Lexus is Toyota's upscale brand) Target is just the upscale version of Walmart; the stores are cleaner, more organized, offer shorter waits, offer higher end brands, charge higher prices to attract a higher clientele etc. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial or knows the truth and is defending Walmart.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-15-2011 at 01:18 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
As for returns.....Walmart is easy. Target I had to return a pair of $20.00 flip flops because they made the tops of my feet bleed. So first I was ticked I had to pay $20.00 for flip flops, then I had to make a return trip to a store I rarely go to, and then I had to deal with a grumpy girl at the returns desk
Sorry try again! At Target, you don't even need your receipt. They scan the item and your credit card you used to pay for the item and credit the amount back to your card without a paper receipt. It takes seconds. At Walmart, they will give you store credit but won't give cash back or credit your card without a receipt.

Quote:
Yeah...don't act so high and mighty. Stores are only good as the management and the employees..and I see the future looking rather dim in that area.
Wrong again, stores are as good as they are designed. Target is designed to offer better service at a price. It's just like anything else in life. If you want better service, you will pay for it. Target is no different. You pay higher prices for the same products to have a better shopping experience. Some people value that and some don't. Those that don't shop at Walmart, those who want better service shop at Target and will pay the higher price for that. If you want better service, you fly First Class not Coach but it comes with a price. I'm not arguing one philosophy is better than another. I know plenty of people who value price above all else and there others like me who will gladly pay higher rates for better service and environment. The only thing I insist is that we don't deny the obvious and foolishly argue that Walmart provides a better shopping experience because it doesn't.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sorry try again! At Target, you don't even need your receipt. They scan the item and your credit card you used to pay for the item and credit the amount back to your card without a paper receipt. It takes seconds. At Walmart, they will give you store credit but won't give cash back or credit your card without a receipt.

Wrong again, stores are as good as they are designed. Target is designed to offer better service at a price. It's just like anything else in life. If you want better service, you will pay for it. Target is no different. You pay higher prices for the same products to have a better shopping experience. Some people value that and some don't. Those that don't shop at Walmart, those who want better service shop at Target and will pay the higher price for that. If you want better service, you fly First Class not Coach but it comes with a price. I'm not arguing one philosophy is better than another. I know plenty of people who value price above all else and there others like me who will gladly pay higher rates for better service and environment. The only thing I insist is that we don't deny the obvious and foolishly argue that Walmart provides a better shopping experience because it doesn't.
Your posts about Target are spot on. It is really a pleasant experience to go there, about as night-and-day different from Walmart as you can get. I am exactly the demographic Target is "targeting!" LOL I am in love with my Super Target, and yes, I did try shopping at super Walmart for awhile and just could not stand it - a really depressing atmosphere, with horrible long lines and weird clientele to mention just a couple problems.

I would add that while some things are more expensive at Target, they actually offer some really GREAT higher-end stuff at far less cost than you would pay at upscale department stores. Also, the Super Target is my main grocery now, and they have both low-end and high-end products, the low end generic ( Market Pantry) is equivalent in price to the Walmart Great Value. But Target offers a lot more organic, and gourmet items to choose from also, at higher prices of course but still less than gourmet grocers like The Fresh Market.

Lastly, I get treated like a queen at Super Target - there are ALWAYS smiling helpful store clerks to help me find something or tend to my needs. The customer service is just outstanding. And between their good prices, coupons and my 5% discount for using their debit card, I really don't think it works out costing more than Walmart after all.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Just found out this past weekend that Walmart re-instated their layaway program for Christmas season. 'Does Target offer lay-away?
No, they don't because Target is deliberately trying to attract a certain crowd. It's one of the reasons people shop at Target. They don't want Target to offer layaway because that will attract a lower socioeconomic crowd and cause the store to be busier. The comments about "Target was a morgue" yes, it's trying to be, it doesn't want to be Walmart where it's a zoo and people are running into each others. I hate the fact that Walmart is so busy. I like Target's more serene environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products