Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:04 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times

Advertisements

Officially many retailers are opening Thursday night for Black Friday. I will not name names, if you want to go you already know to which ones I am referring.

That being said, I like BLack Friday and I like getting up early and MAYBE getting a few good deals (Which are already on Amazon and other online stores)

BUT I do not like Thanksgiving being turned into a day to prepare for the commercialization of Christimas, which started back in October anyways ....

SO after perusing the ads, there is nothing for which I am so in need or so broke that I must get up and try to get at 10PM on Thursday Night.

I enjoy Thanksgiving and always have for what it is: A quiet day of good food and little stress. I choose to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
On Thanksgiving day around 6pm I get to work each year and fly to asia. We sit at an airfield across from 6 of the largest distribution warehouses in china. As black friday sales numbers start racking up, retailers are submitting real time orders for products. By 8pm (usa time) on black friday, they are consoldiating orders for shipment and by 10pm (usa times) we are heading back home with a load of foreign made good for the unemployed US workers to scarf up at discounted prices that caused them to have their job outsourced in the first place. Years ago these orders had to be in way before thansgiving to account for travel time, now by keeping much of the distribution in cheap labor hands, there's more to be able to pay for air shipment. No real Thanksgiving for me, but the bonus money is nice, Yes how I love the commericalizing of Christmas on thanksgiving.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:11 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,705 times
The problem is that fewer and fewer people get the Friday after Thanksgiving off anymore. That is why the sales have to pushed back into Thanksgiving night.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
On Thanksgiving day around 6pm I get to work each year and fly to asia. We sit at an airfield across from 6 of the largest distribution warehouses in china. As black friday sales numbers start racking up, retailers are submitting real time orders for products. By 8pm (usa time) on black friday, they are consoldiating orders for shipment and by 10pm (usa times) we are heading back home with a load of foreign made good for the unemployed US workers to scarf up at discounted prices that caused them to have their job outsourced in the first place. Years ago these orders had to be in way before thansgiving to account for travel time, now by keeping much of the distribution in cheap labor hands, there's more to be able to pay for air shipment. No real Thanksgiving for me, but the bonus money is nice, Yes how I love the commericalizing of Christmas on thanksgiving.
Need any help? LOL

Seriously, I find aspects of Black Friday entertaining, but I love Thanksgiving for what it IS and for what it means to me, which is not some great shopping preperation day.
Yes, getting deals on those cheaply made chinese goods may be nice (like the GPS I got last year, made in China, already broken 10 months later) I am not so poor that I have to rely on that or do without.
In fact, most of that I choose to do without.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Officially many retailers are opening Thursday night for Black Friday. I will not name names, if you want to go you already know to which ones I am referring.

That being said, I like BLack Friday and I like getting up early and MAYBE getting a few good deals (Which are already on Amazon and other online stores)

BUT I do not like Thanksgiving being turned into a day to prepare for the commercialization of Christimas, which started back in October anyways ....

SO after perusing the ads, there is nothing for which I am so in need or so broke that I must get up and try to get at 10PM on Thursday Night.

I enjoy Thanksgiving and always have for what it is: A quiet day of good food and little stress. I choose to keep it that way.
I used to leave the house at 2am to get on line at my favorite spot. It's a place you'd least expect, but they have some of the best deals around on BF.

What's happening now is the deals aren't "deals" anymore, and the people are all too often trash.

So where I used to load up thousands of dollars worth of stuff, and sell 75% of it on ebay to pay for the 25% I kept ............. Now I just buy it online at whatever price.

In the end it costs more money, but you definitely save more sanity.

One thing is for sure, BF is the BEST time to go somewhere that doesn't sell anything. (movies, etc, whatever is open)

Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I used to leave the house at 2am to get on line at my favorite spot. It's a place you'd least expect, but they have some of the best deals around on BF.

What's happening now is the deals aren't "deals" anymore, and the people are all too often trash.

So where I used to load up thousands of dollars worth of stuff, and sell 75% of it on ebay to pay for the 25% I kept ............. Now I just buy it online at whatever price.

In the end it costs more money, but you definitely save more sanity.

One thing is for sure, BF is the BEST time to go somewhere that doesn't sell anything. (movies, etc, whatever is open)
I did it a few times and waited outside for hours but here in the desert the weather is bearable. I always wonder about those folks up in the north that stay outside all night in near zero temperatures. Not me!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Interesting, thanks for posting this. So much for container ships now huh?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:

Well, to most people (me included) Thanksgiving is about eating. Once the meal is over and done, so is the Holiday, as far as I am concerned.

I think the whole "black friday" thing is pretty stupid anyway.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:

Sadly, I think this will only get worse. I think within the next couple of years you'll see stores open all Thanksgiving day. Just sucks for anyone working retail.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:41 PM

I have someone who sends Emails daily reflecting the ISlamic APranoia and urban nythology of society. Most of it (99%) is false, and the other one percent works out to rarely be worth reading. BUT last week I got one that points to giving services locally (Tickets, Spa memberships etc) to people instead of cheap chinese junk.
Great IDea
BUT I don't want to cut into PACIFICFLIGHTS' Salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products