Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 952 times

Advertisements

This just happened to me today. It was only $.40, but it was MY $.40. Then someone with me, I guess because her change was more than $.50, she got more back, so I guess they just do not bother with coins. I guess the restaurant thinks that comes out even. Well, maybe for them, but it is NOT fair to the customers. I assumed it was the restaurant, and not the server. I think, from now on, when I go to that restaurant, I will use plastic, then they won't have to bother with coins. This just blows my mind, the fact that they keep money without asking. One person in our party said that is what a lot of restaurants do now, so I think I will be using my debit card from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I have had a server keep my change twice in the past month at two separate restaurants. I frequently eat out (probably once for lunch and once for dinner each week which is frequent in my opinion.) and have never had this happen. When I say the server kept my change they kept the coins e.g. bill was $12.82 and I received $7.00 in change. Granted it's only 18 cents but it ticked my off both times because of the fact that it's money owed to me and not the server's decision. The restaurants shall remain nameless but they are both your average everyday restaurant. The first time I never saw the server again after she brought my change so I couldn't ask her about the rest of my change so I had to leave a note explaining why she got the tip that she did (Her tip was the change that she willingly kept.). The second time was during lunch at a different restaurant. I was able to ask him about my change and he acted surprised that I wanted it but willingly reached into his pocket to give it to me. Even though it did tick me off I wasn't rude or angry at the server but I inquired if this was a common practice. His response was every server he knew did that and it was common practice. I told him the practice could be considered theft and that even though he was a decent server and provided good service I couldn't leave him a tip more than what he felt he was deserving. His tip was 27 cents.

Again, I understand it's "only 27 cents" but dammit it's MY 27 cents. And yes, I understand servers depend on tips as their salary. Fine, I'm good with that and normally tip 20% for good service. But I do not agree with this new to me trend of servers keeping the change.

Thoughts?

If the server keeps the change without asking he/she has already determined the size of the tip!

This is lazy and rude.

Don in Austin

Old 12-11-2016, 01:52 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
I've never had this happen anywhere I've been too, though if it did, I would be furious. It is my money until I leave it on the table for you to take as a tip. If a waiter/waitress were to do this, I'd be talking with a manager about it, and if the manager didn't want to do anything about it, I would be going up the chain of managers until something was done. While there is a good chance that you are getting that change in your tip anyway, you don't take without permission.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:43 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
If the server keeps the change without asking he/she has already determined the size of the tip!

This is lazy and rude.

Don in Austin
Committed theft.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 AM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
I usually pay with plastic but it is your money. If you were going to leave a cash tip, you would probably leave an even amount like 5 dollars and pocket the change.

That is 'assuming' rather then 'stealing', in my mind, but it still isn't right. You shouldn't have to question that. Needing to question that is inconveniencing you. The payment process should be as simple as possible for the patron, rather then the server.

I would simply shave my tip down a dollar and call it even. I wouldn't get upset over that.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:51 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
We had it happen once in the PNW. A server owed us something like $10 change that she did not return, so we flagged her down and told her she owed us the change. She shrugged it off with, "Oh, I thought that was the tip." Well, here is a tip from ME: It ain't a tip unless the customer GIVES it to you. Which only happens either after the server returns the proper change OR the customer says, "The rest is for you."

We most certainly did not intend a $10+ tip for a $25 meal! The nerve of that server floored me. People like that should be fired.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 28 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,507 times
I tip 20% before tax for good service, but will cut it back to 15% if there are issues.

If my ticket has unexpected, unpleasant surprise charges, I reduce the tip by that amount.

Yes, I've had a server ask me if I want my change, of course I do, but through all the years there has been only one instance when someone pulled something cute.

Most of my dining is at budget-class restaurants, where I walk to the cash register to pay and then leave.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Ive never had this happen in 20 years here in the Triangle.
My pet peeve is when the waiter asked if I need change. Just make the change and leave it. Don't ask, if I need no money back I will tell you.
When I say change, I mean the balance of the money between the bill and the bills paid with. Like if I spend 13.50 and put down a twenty. Just give me the 6.50 back....dont ask!
Yes, it's rude to ask. It puts people in a position of maybe feeling bad for saying 'yes'.

As to the OP, I want my 17 cents or 27 cents too. I'm going to tip well, but the amount of my choosing. I have a little system of saving change just like the servers you are talking about do!

Also it's the principle. It's stealing and I like how you said ok, that's your tip! Teach them a lesson.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronick View Post
This just happened to me today. It was only $.40, but it was MY $.40. Then someone with me, I guess because her change was more than $.50, she got more back, so I guess they just do not bother with coins. I guess the restaurant thinks that comes out even. Well, maybe for them, but it is NOT fair to the customers. I assumed it was the restaurant, and not the server. I think, from now on, when I go to that restaurant, I will use plastic, then they won't have to bother with coins. This just blows my mind, the fact that they keep money without asking. One person in our party said that is what a lot of restaurants do now, so I think I will be using my debit card from now on.
Or carry coins and give exact amount for bill plus tip. I used to do this when I went to the same place and ordered the same meal everytime. I carried extra in case something caused me to need to leave a larger tip.

My issue right now with tipping is that being a former server, I think 20% is the threshold, not 15%. But I cannot seem to force myself to pay 15%. My meal is small. 15% is a teeny amount. sometimes it's less than $1! Even if 20% is a small amount I feel better on the % part.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:02 PM

296 posts, read 232,449 times
I've had servers ask us if we want our change.
Of course we want our change! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products