Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times

Advertisements

I have had a server keep my change twice in the past month at two separate restaurants. I frequently eat out (probably once for lunch and once for dinner each week which is frequent in my opinion.) and have never had this happen. When I say the server kept my change they kept the coins e.g. bill was $12.82 and I received $7.00 in change. Granted it's only 18 cents but it ticked my off both times because of the fact that it's money owed to me and not the server's decision. The restaurants shall remain nameless but they are both your average everyday restaurant. The first time I never saw the server again after she brought my change so I couldn't ask her about the rest of my change so I had to leave a note explaining why she got the tip that she did (Her tip was the change that she willingly kept.). The second time was during lunch at a different restaurant. I was able to ask him about my change and he acted surprised that I wanted it but willingly reached into his pocket to give it to me. Even though it did tick me off I wasn't rude or angry at the server but I inquired if this was a common practice. His response was every server he knew did that and it was common practice. I told him the practice could be considered theft and that even though he was a decent server and provided good service I couldn't leave him a tip more than what he felt he was deserving. His tip was 27 cents.

Again, I understand it's "only 27 cents" but dammit it's MY 27 cents. And yes, I understand servers depend on tips as their salary. Fine, I'm good with that and normally tip 20% for good service. But I do not agree with this new to me trend of servers keeping the change.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 02:37 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I've never had that happen. It's very sneaky. Okay so it was $.17. But if you get enough $.50-and-up tips over the course of the shift and then over the course of weeks and months you're adding a nice cushion to your takehome.

And yes, I've waitressed.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I've never noticed this when paying cash but you can be sure I'll be extra careful from now on!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
I'm completely with you on this. If it starts with a few coins, next thing you know they're keeping back bills. I love your strategy of giving them the tip they thought they deserved, but you MUST also tell the manager.

I can't say this has happened to me locally, but this made me realize that I usually pay with plastic. That would prevent this sort of thing....

Old 07-28-2012, 03:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I'm completely with you on this. If it starts with a few coins, next thing you know they're keeping back bills. I love your strategy of giving them the tip they thought they deserved, but you MUST also tell the manager.

I can't say this has happened to me locally, but this made me realize that I usually pay with plastic. That would prevent this sort of thing....
I agree about telling the manager but the 2nd time I was impressed with the new restaurant so I had already decided I won't be going back anyway.

The only problem with using plastic is there have been reports of the server fudging the tip amount since the transaction is completed after the customer has left so be sure to review the credit card statement carefully.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I agree about telling the manager but the 2nd time I was impressed with the new restaurant so I had already decided I won't be going back anyway.

The only problem with using plastic is there have been reports of the server fudging the tip amount since the transaction is completed after the customer has left so be sure to review the credit card statement carefully.
We try to leave the tip in cash, and write "CASH" on the tip line of the receipt.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:44 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Next time talk to the manager. Back when I was waiting tables keeping change like that would get us in big trouble. It's essentially stealing. Now if my customer was getting back something like $7.90 in change I would often just round up and give them $8.00 to make my life easier.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:50 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
I dine out with great frequency, but I've never had this happen to me. I agree with librarySue -- you MUST tell the manager about this. I've owned two restaurants and would never tolerate this out of a server.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Ive never had this happen in 20 years here in the Triangle.
My pet peeve is when the waiter asked if I need change. Just make the change and leave it. Don't ask, if I need no money back I will tell you.
When I say change, I mean the balance of the money between the bill and the bills paid with. Like if I spend 13.50 and put down a twenty. Just give me the 6.50 back....dont ask!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:54 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Well, they can keep the coins if they promise to stop calling my wife and me "Guys;" stop asking "Are you still working on that?" like we are a couple of hyenas on a wildbeest; and if they just get the check out to the table so I can go home before I pass out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products