Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:33 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, they can keep the coins if they promise to stop calling my wife and me "Guys;" stop asking "Are you still working on that?" like we are a couple of hyenas on a wildbeest; and if they just get the check out to the table so I can go home before I pass out.
I have been a server for 45 years. If customers are sitting back in their chairs relaxing with food still on their plates? It is rude to leave the dirty plates in front of them, it would be rude to take it away without asking if they are finished. I usually ask if they would like it wrapped to take home.
What should the server do in this situation that would make you happy?
Also, what would you like to be called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
Stealing is stealing is stealing, whether it is a nickel or $20. If i got caught at a store stealing something small, I would still be in trouble.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
So folks, it's not really stealing. Were you going to leave the waiter or waitress a tip? Then just take the 18 cents off of the tip. Were you planning on leaving no tip? Then you're a complete scumbag and don't deserve to eat out. Otherwise, I don't see how holding back the coinage is a problem at all.

Holding back some bills isn't cool, though.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Everyone has their own reasons for wanting/not the change.
While we don't "need" that change, we do want it. My husband & I have a tub of change that we very actively work hard to fill. Then once a year that gets cashed in for an extra treat while on vacation.

So while I'm not going hungry without that 27 cents, over the course of year all those quarters, dimes & nickles add up, sometimes to some pretty nice amounts.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I have been a server for 45 years. If customers are sitting back in their chairs relaxing with food still on their plates? It is rude to leave the dirty plates in front of them, it would be rude to take it away without asking if they are finished. I usually ask if they would like it wrapped to take home.
What should the server do in this situation that would make you happy?
Also, what would you like to be called?
1. One option: "Could I clear some of these plates from the table?" I also like your query about wrapping. Or boxing.

2. What did we call ladies and gentlemen before "guys?"
I like "folks" better than "guys." "Sir and Ma'am" also work.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i dont get the big deal. more than likely they just didn't have the coins available to give you since so few people pay in cash/coins, and they didn't want to waste both your time and theirs by going around asking for it when you're just going to leave it on the table or leave it forgotten in the bottom of your purse anyway. as someone else mentioned, they probably would've rounded the other way as well in your favor. they don't want your 20 cents that badly lol. the world is not out to get you. personally if i were a server i would only round change if it was in the customer's favor because in a customer service job you have to be cognizant of how oversensitive some people can be, especially when your livelihood depends on it.
Never said the world is out to get me. Maybe you don't want the 20 cents that badly but think about if you can turn 5 tables in an hour and got 20 cents extra from each table. I'd gladly take a $1/hour raise. Fact is the money is owed to me and the server needs to give it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I wouldn't quibble over less than $1. But once we had a $42 bill, gave the waiter 3 $20 bills, that was the last we saw of him, he just disappeared! Gave himself an $18 tip

But geez, I'm pretty tight, but I wouldn't lower myself to quibbling over some coins! were you with other people? I would think it would make the group uncomfortable. In these tight times, you don't know thw struggles others are going through, those few pennies might mean the difference in survival or not. What if that was your mother, or daughter, working as a wait person and gets called out over a few coins? sheez.
You wouldn't lower yourself? LOL. I will gladly lower myself to pick up a penny in the parking lot. Care to give my your change? I'll take it all off your hands. You must be a stay-at-home mom.

And my mother or daughter wouldn't get called out over some coins because they aren't thieves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
So folks, it's not really stealing. Were you going to leave the waiter or waitress a tip? Then just take the 18 cents off of the tip. Were you planning on leaving no tip? Then you're a complete scumbag and don't deserve to eat out. Otherwise, I don't see how holding back the coinage is a problem at all.

Holding back some bills isn't cool, though.
Nah, I didn't hold back the 18 cents. The server chose to keep it so that tells me that's what they feel they're worth so that's what they got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
While we don't "need" that change, we do want it. My husband & I have a tub of change that we very actively work hard to fill. Then once a year that gets cashed in for an extra treat while on vacation.

So while I'm not going hungry without that 27 cents, over the course of year all those quarters, dimes & nickles add up, sometimes to some pretty nice amounts.
You're darn right it adds up. I save all my coins. I average ~$500/year in saved coins.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I'd mention it to the manager, who knows what other items or money is being stolen from the business by this person. Happens quite frequently.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Funny. The keeping of the change used to happen on an almost regular basis at a local Sonic. This was in the drivethru window, not using the car hops, not in a tipping type situation. I was NOT happy, and finally just asked the cashier if they were going to give me the change portion of my change. She seemed surprised, and said she normally kep the change. It was typically a dime or less but it was not hers to keep or decide what to do with.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:41 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post

Same thing we do...

I think because it is my money, I should be given the option whether I keep it or not

Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
We had a gift card for $30 and the bill came to about $20......She asked if we would like the change.
Gosh, a ten dollar tip on a twenty dollar meal. I give a full 20% But I don't give a 50% tip. Kind of outrageous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products