Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times

Advertisements

Tell them yes you want it back, you need the change for the parking meter. :"D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 05:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think what really makes me mad is when a server will give you change in higher denominations hoping you will leave at least a $5 tip. A meal for one or even 2 people (me and a child) rarely deserves a $5 tip but I will get a $5 bill in my change.
We had that happen at a fancy Mexican restaurant. My wife had a Groupon and owed something like $8.56 or whatever. We always tip on the full Groupon amount, rather than the out of pocket amount we owe on them so servers aren't shafted on their service. We had to wait forever on the bill and finally had to flag them down to get the check and she gave them a $20. She had decided to pay something like $8.50, right around the amount we owed on the check. They asked us if we wanted the change. (Of course! Otherwise, they're getting an inflated tip on the check.) Then they came back with a $10 and two $1 bills. She wasn't playing their game and waited patiently for them to return until she could get smaller bills.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:43 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,604 times
The transaction is not complete until the waiter/waitress brings the change back to the customer, then the customer decides what the tip will be.

I've always had waitstaff say, I'll be back with your change" then, I as the paying customer will either say "that's for you" and they say Thank You or I'll say, "ok" (implying I'm waiting for them to return with the proper change) after the change is returned then I leave appropriate tip.

This is the proper way and usually how the interaction and transaction is handled between customer and server.

This is some kind of new game servers are pulling on customers it's wrong and unnecessary. Not to mention quite disrespectful to the customer.

I usually tip really well, unless a server is so rude and/or just doesn't show up.

I once took a taxi ride about 8 miles, mid afternoon not a busy area. The fare was almost $17 - I gave a $20 and I hear, "do you want your change" I replied, "of course I want my change". I gave whatever coin change to him and $1. I didn't even want to do that because it made me kinda bristle to hear, do you want your change.
There wasn't luggage nor did he get out the taxi to open the door (which I didn't expect him to) Most likely he would have received a better tip, had he just handed back my change w/o saying somthing so stupid. I never called that particular taxi company again.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 PM

516 posts, read 429,847 times
I always pay with a card therefore I keep the upper hand in the transaction. Tips are based on service. Good service=good tip , crappy service/ignored=no tip. It's not my problem you chose a job where the pay is determined on tips. That's why I never went for a server job in my younger days. I think it's retarded to work and never know how much your going to make day to day.

Also, I very rarely eat out simply because I don't trust people. How am I supposed to know if the cook, server, dishwasher etc washed their hands after using the restroom. I just keep coming up with nasty scenes in my head. Just my $.02

Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,347,532 times
Tipping has gotten way out of hand. Glad some people are speaking up. It's not the customer's fault if owner us too cheap to pay decent wages.

I also don't like those tip jars where they expect a tip for putting a sandwich in a bag and punching a few keys on the register.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:22 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,453 times
Screw tipping. I will reluctantly tip if I go to a sit-down restaurant, but going out to eat is expensive enough as it is without adding a tip into the mix.

This is why I strongly prefer delis & other food establishments like delis - where tipping is not required.

As I've mentioned in other posts, in many cases I have had better food at restaurants where tipping isn't required (Jason's Deli, Panera, La Madeline, etc.) than so-called "nicer" places where I've sat down & been served by a waiter/waitress.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:46 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
I've never had this happen to me. It would be cause for alarm, though, and I'd definitely make a point to bring it up with management or to simply adjust my tip accordingly. Of course, I mainly pay with credit cards, so this isn't likely to happen to me.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:38 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,799 times
Fortunately, this has never happened to me. I use a debit card though, and I put "CASH" in the tip section and just put the cash on the table for the tip. If I encountered a situation where the server just kept the tip without asking, that would be the last time that I go to that establishment.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,453 times
It's rude for the server to keep the change without asking.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:00 PM

814 posts, read 677,369 times
She beat me out of $0.14 at lunch today. I'll survive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products