Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:01 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times

Advertisements

I remember another one, but again not sure if it was just a CT thing - D&L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
Midwest- Airway, Twin Fair and Hills Dept. Store

Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM

141 posts, read 426,412 times
I had forgotten that Service Merchandise did the catalog thing. I remember before it became Service Merchandise it was called Wilson's.

Someone mentioned Stuckey's. There is one in Hattiesburg,MS. It is pretty much a convenience store and gas station. I do remember there being one when I was a kid that had a restaurant in it.

Someone else mentioned Revco. We had several of those in MS then they changed to Eckerd's later then of course now they are Rite Aids.

We used to have a lot of those little Fox photos stands in the shopping centers. Has someone mentioned Gaylord's? I think that it was a store similar to Zayres.

Wow, this thread has brought back a lot of childhood memories.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Had some fun finding these: Restaurants- Victoria Station, Red Barn, Big Boy, Poppin Fresh Pies (now bakers square), Bonanza,
Lums, Steak & Ale, Howard Johnsons.
Waccamau, Musicland, Coconuts Music, Ben Franklin Stores, Wicks Furniture, Franks Nursery & Crafts, Kroch & Brentano's,
B. Dalton Books, Dr. Scholls stores, Fayva Shoes, Buster Brown, County Seat, Silo and 5,7,9 Shops.
A few of these still exist but are very regional: Howard Johnson, Big Boy, Bonanza, Lum's. Ben Franklin still has stores in small towns where they haven't been steamrollered by Walmart yet.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM

143 posts, read 111,690 times
Did anybody mention Barbara Moss? Bought a ton of clothes there back in the 70's and 80's.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Photomat?
After following this thread I can't believe how many stores have come and gone. A lot of memories with them.

The first Mervyns and the only one for many years was just a few blocks from me. I remember buying school clothes there as well as all my cub scout and boy scout clothes. After they left the whole area with several stores just died off. It wasn't too long ago they demolished the old store.
Mervyns was my very first charge card followed by Sears.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,474 times
I was born in the early 80s in New Jersey, and some of the retail chains I can remember which are long gone are:

Jamesway
Ames
Clover
Bradlee's
Caldor
Strawbridge & Clothier
John Wanamaker
IGA (Grocery Store)
Woolworth's
Montgomery Ward
Hechinger's
Sam Goody
Funco Land

Last edited by Professor Griff; 04-16-2013 at 05:42 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBMW View Post
Woolworth, Clover, Strawbridge and Clothier, Drug Emporium, Pharmor, Filene's Basement, Fayva
Wow, forgot about Drug Emporium. I remember visiting my family in DC and instead of CVS, they had People's Drug. Are you from the Philadelphia area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Korvette's, Grandway, Caldor, Herman's, Bradlee's, Bamberger's,
Also forgot about Bamberger's! My grandmother worked at one in the mall nearby before it became a Macy's.

I'd also like to add an electronics store called Silo, which I can vaguely remember. There was also a store called Best, I think it was a furniture store or something.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
IN Glasgow we had a big shop called the Colossuem, strange actually as I just came across some photos of it on a site where I searching for something else.. http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/se...AHMS&id=167667

Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I was born in the early 80s in New Jersey, and some of the retail chains I can remember which are long gone are:

Jamesway
Ames
Clover
Bradlee's
Caldor
Strawbridge & Clothier
John Wanamaker
IGA (Grocery Store)
Woolworth's
Montgomery Ward
Hechinger's
Sam Goody
Funco Land
IGA is still around, at least in Tennessee. There are a few Sam Goodys left as well, most became f.y.e. in 2008. Although I haven't seen a Sam Goody in a while, Wikipedia says they are still (barely) around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products