Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
All items over $40 ship for free.
Dollar General | Save Time. Save Money. Every day!

Click on the promotion yellow box upper right
No Dollar General in my area. We have Dollar Tree and $.99 Only. I shop at Walmart, use coupons, and comparison shop. I check the sale flyers every week, and buy what I currently need if its on sale, and not just at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
I've presumed by comments here that Americans are more affluent than I once thought. It strikes me that way because people here don't seem to mind more expensive purchases versus what the same thing at Walmart costs and it is not important to them. There are many things I do not like about Walmart but for me my budget just doesn't stretch very far.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:35 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
I do not plan to shop online for anything , so I will support the workers in the shops

Old 01-02-2016, 08:12 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
"Lower strata employee", hmmmmmmmm.

I always have to wonder what you guys do to always get treated "badly" no matter where you go, whether it's Wal-Mart or CVS or a car dealer or a restaurant or wherever.
I make a point of noting the names of so-called "lower strata employees" and speaking to them by name when I say "Good afternoon" or whatever. When I see them frequently, I memorize their names and say, "Hello, June" or whatever from across the aisle. Or, "Hey, Stewie, that new beard looks good on you."

And you know what happens? They begin to remember me as well and deliver better service. After greeting June by name a few times, she will see me instantly the next time I appear to be looking for something and will come over to check on me. Or if I walk up and say, "Excuse me, June, do you know where...." (especially if she's not wearing her name tag that day), she'll take extra time to make sure I find what I want.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:21 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I make a point of noting the names of so-called "lower strata employees" and speaking to them by name when I say "Good afternoon" or whatever. When I see them frequently, I memorize their names and say, "Hello, June" or whatever from across the aisle. Or, "Hey, Stewie, that new beard looks good on you."

And you know what happens? They begin to remember me as well and deliver better service. After greeting June by name a few times, she will see me instantly the next time I appear to be looking for something and will come over to check on me. Or if I walk up and say, "Excuse me, June, do you know where...." (especially if she's not wearing her name tag that day), she'll take extra time to make sure I find what I want.
I could never pronounce any of the walmart cashiers names at the store i go to because most of them are from the middle east. The people who came here for a better life to work at Walmart

Old 01-02-2016, 09:23 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:

Pay attention people. The post above is the best advice on this forum. And not surprisingly, it works EVERYWHERE, not just at Walmart.

As far as "lower strata employees", I have never had a problem with them anywhere. However, I can't begin to tell you how many times lawyers and experienced real estate agents have been downright nasty or gone off on me on a hate filled rant, and that was after I brought them business.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:43 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I don't like the way Walmart takes over and kills the smaller businesses. Hooray for towns that won't allow Walmart in; that way the town keeps its own shops and maintains its own character.

I go to Walmart every once in a while though. It was by far the cheapest place to get a battery for my car yesterday. We bought a tv there one time. Other than that, even though I'm on a strict budget, I can do without it.

We are lucky to have a good chain of grocery stores that's cheaper than Walmart. We shop at the Dollar Store for paper products, dish soap, and other similar products. T.J.Maxx and Marshalls have name brand clothing. Walmart ruins everything with their greed and I won't support them.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
For those who remember the mom and pop clothing,five and dimes,shoe stores,movie theatres and all other independent businesses from years ago they were hijacked by the malls and big stores like penny's,Sears,Macys or super stores like Meijers,krogers and hundreds more. We sprung right into action and made our one stop to the mall to see a movie,grab lunch, buy some shoes and didn't bat an eye on running off the independents. Prices went up. Now if your not on a bus line nor have a car good luck for many to even get to a store.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:49 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Anyone who works for their living is first-rate, IMO. The "low-strata" are those on welfare, etc. Its a complete contradiction in terms, to call an employee "low-strata".

I shop Walmart for lower priced items, such as cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc. Also, Walmart's diabetic supplies--their Relion brand--is way cheaper than any others. I mean cheap enough I can actually afford it!

The Relion brand is only in Walmarts and is a great product. I just now have to get a meter and test strips. I couldn't believe it when I saw $122.00 for 100 test strips at Target Pharmacy. Relion is under $20 for 100 test strips.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:52 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Quote:

Good point and it does show that you can draw more bees to honey than a spoonful of vinegar will. Respectfulness and common courtesy go along way. Many times the wealthy in our society have the good manners and kindness that often isn't shown by the wannabes who kind of think they made it and you see them everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products