Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:48 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfighter6313 View Post
I work at Michaels Arts and Crafts. On black friday, the store opens at 6am and every employee is scheduled to work at some point of the day or another.

There are about 25 of us non-management employees, and we were talking about how hillarious it would be if all of us, in unison, just randomly and unnannounced, did not show up for work on black Friday.

In other words, the store manager, the assistant manager and a couple department heads get there shortly before opening, and at 6am, as a total suprise to them, none of the employees show up and they have a mob of customers and no workers.

When they start calling us, we all say "We all bound together to give ourselves the day off, we will all report back to work on our next scheduled shift." and then hang up.

This conversation started out as a joke, but now we are seriously considering doing it, as long as we are 25 strong in this.

My question is, could we likely do it without losing our jobs?

I mean, what exactly is management going to do? Fire us all and not have a staff?

Having to close the store down indefinitely, desperately scrambling to recruit a new staff in an economy where every retail store is hiring (meaning they have to pay extra to get retail job seekers to apply there as opposed to other stores if they want a new staff in any kind of short order) then training that new staff, and being able to reopen the doors in a couple weeks if they're lucky.......all in the midst of the holiday shopping season?

Not a good business model. In my experience it takes a few weeks of training and supervision before a new hire is completely self-sufficient and knowledgable at my store. My guess is the store, in firing us all, would maybe be able to reopen around mid-december with a new, wet behind the ears staff who will need constant help for any register issue or customer queery, management running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and the whole remainder of the christmas rush being an ineffiecient mess with lots of irritated and unsatisfied customers.

In other words, if we did this 25 strong, would management have no choice but to begrudgingly keep us all on staff?

You do know this isn't high school where you have Senior Skip Day, right?

Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The "prank" is that 50 people have responded to a troll post.

Well done.
Agree, this can't be a real post.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
LOL. Do you have your resume out yet? HURRY!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
That is not a prank.

It might be an effective protest, if you are being treated so badly that you are willing to treat this action as quitting, but I doubt that you are being treated any worse than 99% of the people who work in retail. Michael's probably isn't paradise, but I'm pretty sure it's not a sweatshop, either.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:31 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:

Well done.
Well, considering that the OP counts as post #1, and I responded twice, reporting an actual event, and yours is the 51st post, clearly your post is a troll. There is no way that 50 people responded, unless of course you think "greatly," and consider this the bigliest troll thread online.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Why wait until black Friday? If you dislike your job so much, just leave now and find another place to work.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:

Well done.
Seriously? People have nothing better in theri lives to do than keep track of this or call people trolls.

I got a rep out of my post, so no lost time on my part.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
thread closed for mod review

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products