Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:37 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
BTW: price change do happen. If they notice that you're interested in an item, next time you check on it the price might be higher. Same with airline tickets.
It's advised to clear the browser and cookies after each session.

I've often seen that claimed, never once seen it proven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 10:52 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Me neither, and I constantly have things in my cart under "save for later" so I revisit them sometimes multiple times before I purchase.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:12 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Quote:
I've seen it, not frequently but very definitely while doing comparison shopping for a specific item. Can't speak as to the exact cause or conditions, but I've seen a special price disappear in between clicks.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:17 AM

61,742 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Me neither, and I constantly have things in my cart under "save for later" so I revisit them sometimes multiple times before I purchase.
Maybe if that's already on your shopping or wish list the price is somehow locked (I saw even price to be lowered), but I also, personally, saw a price change when I was still actively searching for items to compare.

It happened many times when I was shopping for the best airfare. It made me question why it's so and search for answers. That's when I found out about how the price change works.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've seen it, not frequently but very definitely while doing comparison shopping for a specific item. Can't speak as to the exact cause or conditions, but I've seen a special price disappear in between clicks.
They have lightning deals with a countdown timer under the price...when the counter ends, the price goes back to normal...I've seen it and there's nothing nefarious about it! It's no different than a weekend sale, Blue Light Special or any other limited time offer.

You can actually do the opposite, in a way...I keep stuff in a wishlist...I've been notified that there's been a significant price drop for a WL item, bought the item and within hours or days the price goes back up to normal.

Amazon it'self does not do this...you must realize that Amazon is comprised of many thousands of small retailers selling through Amazon...sort of like Ebay.

I used to sell stuff on Amazon and often would discount stuff temporarily just to move it.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:

And that's my point - no one can ever seem to speak as to the exact cuase or condition, in a way that is reproducible by someone else to verify. Any number of explanations. With millions of websites and millions of users it is a mathematical probability that at any given moment there are thousands of people on a site at the precise moment a price change goes into effect. Or maybe you're log in expires and the special Prime (or other member) price reverts to regular price because it no longer recognizes you as a qualified member.

We've done tests in other threads on CD with airfares where we would take a few flights and the price remained steady for everyone for days no matter how many clicking and carting or clearing cookies.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:03 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
Quote:
I have seen it a lot. The prices will go up and down and I get emails about the items in my cart and it gives me a notification that the prices have dropped. I look and they are back down some but not all the way back down to the price as when I first looked at it. I can open a different browser and look without logging into my account and it will often show a lower price.

I had prime for a couple of years but cancelled it. Their "free two day prime shipping" is actually two days from when they actually ship the item, not two days from when you order it. It was common for items I ordered and used two day prime shipping to not even ship for 3 or 4 days and then arrive two days later. I complained numerous times and was informed it is two days from when it leaves their warehouse not when you order by their customer service. I have bought items on Amazon and used two day shipping and bought items on ebay and other websites and used regular free shipping with them and the items from Amazon show up 2 or 3 days after the items I ordered elsewhere. I have also ordered items from other sellers on Amazon with regular shipping that they themselves fulfill not Amazon shipping and their items arrive days before Amazon prime. I got fed up with it.

I always compare prices on Amazon but if I can buy it for the same price or less, I always use Ebay. I often find the same item cheaper on Ebay anyway. Amazon isn't as good as it used to be.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Quote:
And that's my point - no one can ever seem to speak as to the exact cuase or condition, in a way that is reproducible by someone else to verify.
It is of course impossible to prove unless you run a desktop recording system every time you access Amazon, but I've had it happen more than once (five or six times in the last couple of years?) when I am fairly intensively trying to price something like a CPU, RAM, camera or monitor. I make notes as I go, and when I get back to Amazon because they've got the best deal, *poof* the system shows me a completely different price and sometimes shipping costs and options.

Anecdotal, yes, and you can discount it if you like. But I pay more attention to details like this than most and these peculiar discontinuities do occur. Were it not for the plentiful evidence that every shopping venture I take is closely monitored and tracked, I'd say it's just random glitches.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
It is of course impossible to prove unless you run a desktop recording system every time you access Amazon, but I've had it happen more than once (five or six times in the last couple of years?) when I am fairly intensively trying to price something like a CPU, RAM, camera or monitor. I make notes as I go, and when I get back to Amazon because they've got the best deal, *poof* the system shows me a completely different price and sometimes shipping costs and options.

Due to the nature of 3rd party sellers, there are sometimes multiple catalog listings for an item. Unless you bookmarked the page, you may not be on the same page. And 3rd party sellers can change prices often. It's not about you.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I have seen it a lot. The prices will go up and down and I get emails about the items in my cart and it gives me a notification that the prices have dropped. I look and they are back down some but not all the way back down to the price as when I first looked at it. I can open a different browser and look without logging into my account and it will often show a lower price.

Next time you find an example, post it up. We can all put it in our carts and watch the price over the next few days, both in a browser logged in and another browser not logged in. Or maybe it's just a conspiracy against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products