Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 01:21 AM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I've must have done something to p*ss Amazon off, since they deleted my account (!)

I've been ordering from them off and on for the past 20 years, although I haven't used them in about a year. I tried logging on recently to check something, and it told me that there's no account with my name and email. Nada. Nothing. It was as if I no longer existed. Foolishly, I registered a new account under the exact same details I've been using for the past 20 years. As far as Amazon is concerned, I'm a brand-new customer (who hasn't ordered anything yet.)

Anybody have this happen to them?

Didn't happen to me, but you are not alone:
https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...ht-back-2018-4

It happened few times over the years already. And not only to US customers. Google it and you will see links about it with different dates/years.
They are so big and busy that things are getting progressively messy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
Don't really understand all the angst for an easily-resolvable issue.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 AM

995 posts, read 510,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Didn't happen to me, but you are not alone:
https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...ht-back-2018-4

It happened few times over the years already. And not only to US customers. Google it and you will see links about it with different dates/years.
They are so big and busy that things are getting progressively messy.
Thanks for the info, that made me feel a tiny bit better.

I still think I'll boycott Amazon from now on, based on what I saw when I visited Australia recently. Due to a quirk in their taxing system, Australians are barred from using Amazon USA, and are stuck with Amazon Australia, which is like how Amazon was here 20 years ago - extremely limited. As a result, "real life" shopping is alive and well down there. I was shocked at how busy the malls were, even at 10 am in the morning. It was like 1985 again. Remember when going to the mall was an enjoyable people-watching experience, with stores chock-full of merchandise? Shopping was actually fun! That's Australia. Let's hope it stays that way for their sake.

As for the US, we're toast as far as "street" retail goes. How depressing.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:06 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I have had Prime for years. We order frequently and we also order non perishable grocery items on the subscribe and save plan, no shipping and save 15% also many of those are bulky items like toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, Pet food etc. that we don't have to load and bring from a store, all delivered. Also use Prime TV, I don't use some of the other features at this time but still well worth the price.
To the OP, if you don't want to ever order from them again, Then Don't

Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
DH has used Amazon off/on for a long time. I don't have an account so he used his to buy something I wanted.

A month or so later, along comes a charge of $14.99 or $15.99 (can't remember) on his credit card from Amazon.

So who does Amazon think they are to automatically charge for an Amazon Prime account that DH did NOT request.. And that's a monthly charge!

I will pay more money somewhere else before I ever use Amazon for anything again -- except toilet paper if that were possible
it happened to me and I simply sent them an email and it was resolved. This instance did not warrant me personally ceasing to do business with them as my experiences have been stellar for almost 20 years. However, I understand your frustration.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:27 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Honestly, as a long-time amazon shopper (16 years now), this is the only thing that concerns me. (The OP's husband clearly just made a silly mistake, which could have been cleared up in about 5 minutes by contacting amazon directly. Their customer service, in my experience at least, is excellent.)

A couple of things that I ordered in December -- yes, holiday time -- were delivered to my porch (as usual) but somehow were not scanned by the delivery person as "delivered." In my amazon account, they were listed as "delayed" for several days -- I knew they'd been delivered so kept waiting for the status to change. It never did, and I actually could have claimed they were not delivered at all, but of course instead I let amazon know that I had indeed received both items. (One was a $200 blender that I splurged on, which amazon was ready to give me a refund on!) It was clear that the delivery company had hired new people for the holidays and my delivery person had simply forgotten to scan the items to show that they were "delivered."

OK, no problem so far. However, the next several items I've received (I order from amazon a LOT) have been listed as "handed off directly." Well, no, items are NEVER "handed off directly" to me -- they are left on my porch. I live in a VERY safe neighborhood with VERY little crime so things are left on porches all the time -- I have never had a problem. But it DOES bother me that amazon's delivery people are now checking off the "handed off directly" box instead of just saying the item was left on my porch, which is the truth. So we'll see if this ends up being a problem.
What bothered me the most is that not only the customer service rep, but also the Amazon Logistics manager she connected me to, were unable to simply call the driver and ask where he left it. While I have had UPS do that several times. It could have been within a block of my home and I'd never know it because they don't apparently have contact with drivers. I thought that would be a simple solution but they'd rather refund and make me wait 2 more days to get it redelivered.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
I like amazon prime..movies, music, free shipping..reading reviews of something you might want is something you can't get at the bricks and mortar stores..

Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, that made me feel a tiny bit better.

I still think I'll boycott Amazon from now on, based on what I saw when I visited Australia recently. Due to a quirk in their taxing system, Australians are barred from using Amazon USA, and are stuck with Amazon Australia, which is like how Amazon was here 20 years ago - extremely limited. As a result, "real life" shopping is alive and well down there. I was shocked at how busy the malls were, even at 10 am in the morning. It was like 1985 again. Remember when going to the mall was an enjoyable people-watching experience, with stores chock-full of merchandise? Shopping was actually fun! That's Australia. Let's hope it stays that way for their sake.

As for the US, we're toast as far as "street" retail goes. How depressing.
IMO malls haven't been good for decades. Yes, in the 70's and 80's we were at the mall all the time. But back then they had a wide variety. They had multiple shoe stores, the Chinese store, clothing stores for all ages, book stores, toy stores, etc. Now they have 35 sneaker stores, a Spencer's, a Victoria's Secret and a bunch of Junior clothing stores. Nothing that I buy on Amazon is available at our local malls.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I think they are referring to one of those Amazon Prime Member special price items. You find a product but the price states "Amazon Prime member Price". Below it somewhere is the non-Prime member price and link tot he item for non Prime Members. If you add it to your cart from the Prime Member price page, it just adds it as with the non Prime price. If memory serves me correctly, I think if a person did it that way and they click on the item thats shown in the cart, it takes them to the regular Non Prime Member price page for that item, not back to the Prime Members price page for that item.
I've never have I seen anything with a special Prime member only price even before I was a Prime member. Again, more things cost MORE with Prime than without it in my experience.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I've must have done something to p*ss Amazon off, since they deleted my account (!)

I've been ordering from them off and on for the past 20 years, although I haven't used them in about a year. I tried logging on recently to check something, and it told me that there's no account with my name and email. Nada. Nothing. It was as if I no longer existed. Foolishly, I registered a new account under the exact same details I've been using for the past 20 years. As far as Amazon is concerned, I'm a brand-new customer (who hasn't ordered anything yet.)

Anybody have this happen to them?
No, that's nuts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products