Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 11:15 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Increase the penalties by a substantial amount. I know California changed the laws so crimes were classified as misdemeanors instead of felonies in some cases. If you make the punishment u h more severe, it may make people think twice.
They changed the felony threshold for theft from $400 to $950 but that doesn't even apply here, because most if not all of these mobs steal several thousands of dollars in merchandise. This year they added a law that makes shoplifting a felony if it involves an organized theft involving two or more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 11:53 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, that'll work.

Teenagers with assault rifles firing into a crowded store of shoppers, hoping to hit the "bad guys", and spare innocent people. Good one, Tex.
Kyle hit the "bad guys" he intended to hit, he didn't randomly fire into a crowd. [Mod cut: personal]

Last edited by elnina; 11-25-2021 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 12:25 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Kyle hit the "bad guys" he intended to hit, he didn't randomly fire into a crowd. [Mod cut: personal
Others of his ilk, militia members self-appointed to keep the peace, have, though, shot innocent people. And the situation in a department store, an enclosed space with shoppers all around, would be vastly different, to the street scene Kyle was in. That's what I was referring to. [Mod cut: bickering]

Last edited by elnina; 11-25-2021 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Others of his ilk, militia members self-appointed to keep the peace, have, though, shot innocent people. And the situation in a department store, an enclosed space with shoppers all around, would be vastly different, to the street scene Kyle was in. That's what I was referring to.[Mod cut: bickering]
That's a pretty broad brush your painting with.

Last I checked, Kyle was found not guilty of doing what you describe, so others of his ilk would also be those who are not guilty of doing what you describe.

[Mod cut: personal]

Last edited by elnina; 11-25-2021 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I agree.

I will start about by saying no rational person can do anything but condemn these smash and grab thefts. I hope the perpetrators who are caught do real prison time.

That being said, its extremely easy to steal from most stores if one has no morals. The merchandise is not secured. Its all out in the open. Stores are built to be open, airy, and accommodating because it puts customers at ease and draw in business. Stores are not built to prevent thefts. Places that are not built to prevent thefts will see more of them.

Why is this the case? Years ago stores and store owners made a calculation. They determined they would rather run the risk of sporadic shoplifting in return for possibly drawing in more customers and making customers feel at ease. This worked until you began seeing organized smash and grab thieves targeting them. Now, I suspect stores will become security conscious.
Interesting point about the open, airy, relaxing vibe. I've noticed lately, that some department stores have their handbags displayed on small tables throughout the department, ripe for the picking, as it were. Some stores keep the priciest ones behind the counter, in glassed-in shelves, but whatever they regard as mid-range to lower-range is perched on little tables scattered around, and on open shelving against one wall. Some are hanging from small racks.

I think stores thought they could deter crime, by putting little electronic tags inside their products, that would set off alarms if someone left without paying. Bookstores do this, too. But that doesn't work in these days of brazen heists, with getaway vehicles idling outside store doors.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-25-2021 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty broad brush your painting with.

Last I checked, Kyle was found not guilty of doing what you describe, so others of his ilk would also be those who are not guilty of doing what you describe.

The district attorney in Albuquerque filed a motion to outlaw militias, after a member of one shot an innocent person in a crowd of marchers last summer, whippersnapper. There were similar incidents around the US last summer, all eventually traced to a certain far-right group and ideology by police and FBI investigators.

But let us not hijack this timely thread about smash-and-grabs. I think it's important to note, that this recent cluster of crimes across the country is not due to some misstep of the justice system going soft on crime, or anything of that nature. This tactic has been reported from developed nations worldwide. Reports say, it's due to the exponential growth of online retailing on websites where the vendors remain anonymous. Ebay, etc.

Last edited by elnina; 11-25-2021 at 03:24 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 12:50 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,787 times
Quote:
I am serious. One instance of a person in a flash mob getting picked off by a sniper would stop any semi-intelligent ones from participating in future flash mobs.
Too many possible downsides, but yeah, if security guards were allowed to do that, shoplifting would go waaaay down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
The only thing I can come up with is that the outside-facing windows and doors all be made of unbreakable "glass" material, and that inside the store, employees right up front have buttons that can be pushed to electrically lock all the doors the second looters start entering. Some may even be kept out. Someone then calls 911 ASAP, and hopefully cops come quickly with the perps that made it in trapped inside, before they realize they're locked in and *possibly* engage in gratuitous violence against employees or patrons. That's where just having one good armed security guard might buy time.

Damn shame we even have to be thinking about this, and that the retailers would need to shell out all that money to deal with this latest societal dysfunction.
I like this! There's a Youtube video about a small store owner did this very thing. I loved it when the habitual shoplifter realized he was locked in and panicked. He eventually kicked his way out, but they eventually caught him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The question then becomes does the Fire Marshall allow the store to lock everyone in to save their bags? While not as egregious as using lethal force similar liabilities apply. Especially if the criminals escalate to defeat the lock in.
Darn it! You're right.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The district attorney in Albuquerque filed a motion to outlaw militias, after a member of one shot an innocent person in a crowd of marchers last summer, whippersnapper. There were similar incidents around the US last summer, all eventually traced to a certain far-right group and ideology by police and FBI investigators.

[Mod cut: orphaned]

But let us not hijack this timely thread about smash-and-grabs. I think it's important to note, that this recent cluster of crimes across the country is not due to some misstep of the justice system going soft on crime, or anything of that nature. This tactic has been reported from developed nations worldwide. Reports say, it's due to the exponential growth of online retailing on websites where the vendors remain anonymous. Ebay, etc.
None of which is related to Kyle Rittenhouse.

Last edited by elnina; 11-25-2021 at 03:25 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 12:53 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
... Years ago stores and store owners made a calculation. They determined they would rather run the risk of sporadic shoplifting in return for possibly drawing in more customers and making customers feel at ease. This worked until you began seeing organized smash and grab thieves targeting them. Now, I suspect stores will become security conscious.
This is why we are seeing more shoplifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Increase the penalties by a substantial amount. I know California changed the laws so crimes were classified as misdemeanors instead of felonies in some cases. If you make the punishment u h more severe, it may make people think twice.
People love to point at California. But how do you explain the shoplifting elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They changed the felony threshold for theft from $400 to $950 but that doesn't even apply here, because most if not all of these mobs steal several thousands of dollars in merchandise. This year they added a law that makes shoplifting a felony if it involves an organized theft involving two or more people.
Yes. This.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:01 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
How about making purses $2.99, which is probably what they cost to make, instead of $29900.? Hardly worth stealing.

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-25-2021 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products