Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
First of all, Qatar is about the size of Rhode Island. I'm amazed they even had 5 cities to build soccer stadiums, but in retrospect, all the stadiums will end up being like 20 KM's from each other.....all in Doha more than likely. Second of all, it is hotter than hell there in the summer. Temperature's constantly in the 100's to 110's. Russia I don't have a problem with, Qatar is mind boggling. The thing I also don't get it is why not make it a multi-country event like Korea/Japan in 2002?? Play a couple in Qatar, play a couple in Bahrain, play a couple in the United Arab Emirates, a few in Kuwait, play a few in Oman. It's still the general Middle East vicinity and you won't have all the action in a 25 km radius.

Terrible decision by FIFA, absolutely brutal.
There are not even current cities for some of the planned locations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 AM

A few more articles realted to the Qatar World Cup:

Y! SPORTS

US wants changes to process before bids for WCup - Yahoo Finance

Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 AM

36 posts, read 53,989 times
FIFA would have been avoided all this escalating controversy if selected another nation, in my own
viewpoint; I think Australia deserved the hosting as it represents the only continent that never hosted
a WC.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious 88 View Post
FIFA would have been avoided all this escalating controversy if selected another nation, in my own
viewpoint; I think Australia deserved the hosting as it represents the only continent that never hosted
a WC.
yep australia should host the 2022 WC. it's a developed modern country that actually respects the rights of others and most importantly has footballing tradition.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
yep australia should host the 2022 WC. it's a developed modern country that actually respects the rights of others and most importantly has footballing tradition.
Half the teams in the A League are less than 10 years old, thats not a football tradition. Theyve had half assed leagues on and off. They are a developing nation when it comes to football. I love their league (Go Glory!) but its not a footballing tradition there by any stretch. Its probably the 3rd sport.

I wouldnt have mind seeing it go there but they dont have the money to bribe FIFA to put it there. America would have been a much better solution.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Half the teams in the A League are less than 10 years old, thats not a football tradition. Theyve had half assed leagues on and off. They are a developing nation when it comes to football. I love their league (Go Glory!) but its not a footballing tradition there by any stretch. Its probably the 3rd sport.

I wouldnt have mind seeing it go there but they dont have the money to bribe FIFA to put it there. America would have been a much better solution.
it's more tradition than qatar. Not to mention that they actually have a team that can qualify without being the host. as for the usa hosting, I would like to see the usa host in 2026.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
In shocking news - Qatar is taking the time honed oil rich middle eastern country approach of exploting and essentially enslaving foreign labor while putting them through miserable working conditions

The results? - Massive deaths

Qatar World Cup: 400 Nepalese die on nation's building sites since bid won | Football | The Observer

Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
For FIFA, Bribes > Human life.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
In shocking news - Qatar is taking the time honed oil rich middle eastern country approach of exploting and essentially enslaving foreign labor while putting them through miserable working conditions

The results? - Massive deaths

Qatar World Cup: 400 Nepalese die on nation's building sites since bid won | Football | The Observer
Yeah, compare that to World Cup preparations in Brasil, which has had 6 deaths so far.

Factbox: Timeline of deaths, accidents at Brazil's World Cup stadiums - Chicago Tribune

Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM

245 posts, read 298,310 times
Russia did very well in the Sochi Olympics and still will host the Sochi Grand Prix another big event. They also hosted the UCL final in 08 and did good. Qatar have good small stadiums and they are not that passionate about their league but they hosted the Asian cup and Asian games in the summer and will also do well. FIFA should stop taking bids from countries that already hosted and give other countries a chance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer