Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I know soccer is growing here and has been for a while, but this isn't Europe or Africa or Asia or South America where our sports scene is somewhat 'limited'.
Is that a joke? Do you honestly believe that Europe is limited when it comes to sport?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
And I really don't see why that's a crime to some of you. It's like I always say (and you have to agree): In the most of the world, soccer is life. In America, it's just another sport.
Its not a crime that you guys dont like football BUT the reason people get annoyed at America when it comes to football is because most of you slate the sport and mock it. I know its not all of you but there is a lot of you that do. Thats why people get pissed off.

Quote:
Calling people who don't like soccer or don't care about soccer as much "dumb" and having this smug attitude about it doesn't really make the sport any more attractive.
The smug attitude is because of the smug attitude a lot of you have towards the sport. As I said a lot of you slate it when most of you dont have a clue what offside means.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
As an American woman, who has fallen in love with soccer over the last 10 years, I believe that the average dumba## American thinks that soccer is a no talent sport fit only for girls and small children.
If they think that well tell them to look at European football. Tell them to go outside and try to do around the world with a football multiple times and very quickly.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Is that a joke? Do you honestly believe that Europe is limited when it comes to sport?
it is when it comes to the big three american sports which is what the poster meant

Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Its not a crime that you guys dont like football BUT the reason people get annoyed at America when it comes to football is because most of you slate the sport and mock it. I know its not all of you but there is a lot of you that do. Thats why people get pissed off.

The smug attitude is because of the smug attitude a lot of you have towards the sport. As I said a lot of you slate it when most of you dont have a clue what offside means.
if you think americans have a smug attitude to soccer , stay away from the australia and new zealand forum , their attitude is one of naked contempt , apparently if you dont mow someone down like a bulldozer , your a big girls blouse

Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:

And these and the post before you just put up are yet ANOTHER reason why people are turned off by it. The "he started it" thing is kind childish, so just realize that there are a-holes on BOTH sides.

I said some of us just don't care for the sport that much. All you saw was me saying "some don't like it". You didn't even point out me saying that MOST of Americans don't disrespect the sport at all, yet you act like I just completely trashed it. THAT'S the turn off. When fans get extra sensitive when people simply say that soccer is just not of that much interest to them. Hell, some people (mainly Europeans) even go into a rage just for calling it soccer instead of football.... which is another topic that I really, REALLY don't want to get into because of how stupid it is.

As for this:

Quote:
I said somewhat 'limited', which should indicate that I'm not being 100% on that. We are after all comparing things in this thread, and compared to the U.S. and Canada, how many other sports do other places take as seriously as your #1 (soccer)?

Though the NFL is no doubt #1 in the country as a whole, it's not everyone's most followed. Here, you go to different regions and there's something for everyone else. In the Northeast, Baseball and Basketball are HUGE. In the Midwest, it's Baseball, Football, and Hockey. In the South, Football, basketball, NASCAR, and college athletics. Out on the westcoast, you get a mix of all those sports and more emphasis on individual sports, it seems.
And then there's the Pacific Northwest's fix with soccer.
Seattle and Portland are arguably the best soccer cities in the States.

Last edited by JJG; 06-14-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
if you think americans have a smug attitude to soccer , stay away from the australia and new zealand forum , their attitude is one of naked contempt , apparently if you dont mow someone down like a bulldozer , your a big girls blouse
I didn't say all Americans.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
it is when it comes to the big three american sports which is what the poster meant
Big FOUR

With MLS and NASCAR as close 5th/6th.

Then there's Arena Football, WNBA, IRL, UFL, Minor League Baseball, Golf, Tennis, Volleyball, Horse Racing, Track/Field, Wrestling, Extreme Sports....

Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I didn't say all Americans.
where did i say you did

Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And these and the post before you just put up are yet ANOTHER reason why people are turned off by it. The "he started it" thing is kind childish, so just realize that there are a-holes on BOTH sides.
What are you talking about. I never said anyone started it. I just pointed out that you saying being called dumb for not liking football is something that works both ways. Whats wrong with that.

Quote:
I said some of us just don't care for the sport that much. All you saw was me saying "some don't like it".
No I didn't. Good for you if you dont like it. I dont care. It means nothing to me if some Americans dont like it.

Quote:
You didn't even point out me saying that MOST of Americans don't disrespect the sport at all, yet you act like I just completely trashed it.
I dont act like you thrashed it. All I said was that a lot of Americans do thrash it which is true.

Quote:
THAT'S the turn off. When fans get extra sensitive when people simply say that soccer is just not of that much interest to them. Hell, some people (mainly Europeans) even go into a rage just for calling it soccer instead of football.... which is another topic that I really, REALLY don't want to get into because of how stupid it is.
You seem to be the one getting sensitive about it. As I said I dont care if you dont like it. I really dont. I am one of them that dont call it soccer but I dont care if you do. A lot of people over here call it soccer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJg View Post
I said somewhat 'limited', which should indicate that I'm not being 100% on that. We are after all comparing things in this thread, and compared to the U.S. and Canada, how many other sports do other places take as seriously as your #1 (soccer)?
There are loads of sports in different countries all over Europe. In Ireland there are two sports that go before football. There is loads of sports over in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer