Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 AM

182 posts, read 195,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I actually have bet against friends and one of my friends chose Germany/Spain and i chose Brazil/Argentina :P

If either Germany or Spain wins, i have to buy him dinner
If either Bra/Arg wins, he haves to buy me dinner

i think i made a good deal and my chances are better
If these games were played in Europe or Asia, would you still like your chances? I think you are overrating the effect the crowd will have. Germany has embarrassed Argentina the past 8 years and Brazil has been underachieving for the same amount of time. Maybe the pressure gets to them.

I like your friends chances significantly better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,112,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
If these games were played in Europe or Asia, would you still like your chances? I think you are overrating the effect the crowd will have. Germany has embarrassed Argentina the past 8 years and Brazil has been underachieving for the same amount of time. Maybe the pressure gets to them.

I like your friends chances significantly better.
Even if Brazil was playing Germany in Berlin i'd give Brazil the edge. right now Germany is playing like less than the sum of there parts while the opposite is true of Brazil.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,854,913 times
If Brazil were plying Germany in Europe you'd give Brazil the edge? No chance - look what Bayern done to Barca. The same contrast in styles applies to Germany and Brazil - Germany have a big edge away from South America.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,112,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
If Brazil were plying Germany in Europe you'd give Brazil the edge? No chance - look what Bayern done to Barca. The same contrast in styles applies to Germany and Brazil - Germany have a big edge away from South America.
Are u seriously comparing brazil to Barcelona? Brazil is no where near as possession focused. If u wanted a more accurate discription of the contrast. It would b Brazil represented by Bayern and Germany represented by Real Madrid. Brazil are versatile with there system of play just like bayern was last year,they can be possesive when they want 2 b but still counter attack with pace. Germany is normally not so possession obsessed but they are increasingly adopting the possession based football of this years bayern. In terms of defense there really is no comparison. Germany's defense is horribe 4 a footballing power. Of all the nations 2 ever win a world cup Germany has the worst defense. In the mid field Brazil and Germany are comparable and in attack I give Germany a slight advantage but that doest over come the complete gulf in the quality of their defenses.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,246,688 times
We're about to play France. What a reception in the Stade de France! Very impressive. The stadium is completely sold out (80,000 people) and the crowd is very excited. I'm almost cheering for France because it would be a shame for them to lose at home, to such an audience.

Let's hope it will be a draw with lots of goals

Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,854,913 times
South American teams played poor tonight, Scotland beat Poland, Ronaldo looked amazing, France looked good, England looked bad despite win. Lot to chew over tonight.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times
I was actually disappointed to see Ireland lose today, not as disappointed as I was in the attendance though. Good to see Wes get a runout as always.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,167,359 times
Brazil or Spain

Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,255,044 times
and the US looked horrible last night. The first half was a joke, no aggression at all. While it was a piecemeal team without key pieces, it definitely shows the lack of depth the team has.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
South American teams played poor tonight, Scotland beat Poland, Ronaldo looked amazing, France looked good, England looked bad despite win. Lot to chew over tonight.

Do not agree . Chile was impressive against Germany, and Brazil won 5-0!!! against southafrica!
Ecuador showed a lot of character by being down 3-0 and managing to turn it around and ending up 4-3.

Argentina was poor, but i saw the whole match and, besides Messi puking (yeah, he puked) before the match started in the field, he was just standing there all the first half, seemed like he couldnt play, or he was afraid of getting hurt, or he was sick (wich was what finally happened, he was also puking in the bathroom before entering the match). Also, Di Maria was in an off day (to say the least) he is KEY to our game, but here he was giving all the balls to the rumanians, never seen such an awful acting of Di maria, he is usually amazing, but yesterday he seemed like a joke.

Aguero was the real Messi of the field, creating plays, running, showing AMAZING skills, he was the best. I have inmense faith in him, he haves the potential to be as good as messi, mark my words. But he came from a long time off the field from an injury, so he had to be subbed in second half.

Fernandez was good, Romero was good, Kun was great, Mascherano kinda suck, Higuain didnt touch the ball, Messi did a couple of magic tricks but for the most part he sucked too and Di maria was the worst. The rest of the team more or less suck.

Good thing: mostly the ones that sucked this game were the ones that will NEVER be left out of the team (like messi, di maria or higuain) and the ones who played the best were the ones who were in doubt (like romero or some defensive players), so this match was good for them to show the DT and the people.

Bad thing: the team relies TOO MUCH on Di Maria. I ve been noticing this for a while, when Di Maria is on, we could win 5-0 like its nothing, when Di Maria is off, we could tie with a clearly inferior side. Di Maria is amazing, but the team haves to find someone that does what he does best, otherwise we are too dependendent on him.

Also, the team was clearly playing at 10%, i dont know if they were sick like messis case or not wanting to get hurt, but, on the first half, argentina was just standing there. On the second half i must admit they started wanting it more, running, and Argentina controlled the ball and had A LOT of goal chances (one incredible by lavezzi that rumanian gk stopped), and you could easily see the diferences between both teams. Argentina was clearly the better side.

Yeah, i expected more but this doesnt leave me overly worried, i know what this team is capable off, i know the players wont be like this in Brazil, and i know Arg haves the potential to win it all.

Having said so, i think Brazil is still the number 1 candidate.
Chile showed again they are a team to take seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer