Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
What???

Get the F_ck outta here!

Are you F-ing serious?

That's an act of WAR!

It's an Islamic country, where alcohol is generally forbidden. That shouldn't be that much of a surprise if you have any understanding of Islamic culture. You have to understand that not every country is Westernized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's an Islamic country, where alcohol is generally forbidden. That shouldn't be that much of a surprise if you have any understanding of Islamic culture. You have to understand that not every country is Westernized.
Seems that I've been misinformed and have obviously not taken the time to google that aspect.

I was told that alcohol consumption is allowed in Qatar.

If not, then the World Cup needs to be held in a place that DOES allow booze and babes in the stadiums.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:06 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Seems that I've been misinformed and have obviously not taken the time to google that aspect.

I was told that alcohol consumption is allowed in Qatar.

If not, then the World Cup needs to be held in a place that DOES allow booze and babes in the stadiums.
Australia.

Makes sense.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Hmm the stadiums will have AC so that's good IMO. I'd like to go there. It sounds like fun. Nice shopping and food and a lot of rich people, I'd imagine.

BTW Maybe it is bad to write this, but I had wine in an Islamic country...during Ramadan. Ha ha ha. They can't stop people who want to bring their own liquor. That would be inadvisable.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Given that they've already begun a campaign regarding what should and should not be worn during the WC, by both sexes, I have my doubts as to how much they are going relax the rules because it is the WC. Men and women should be covered from shoulders to knees according to their little flier.

I am not at all impressed by Qatar 'winning' the bid.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Given that they've already begun a campaign regarding what should and should not be worn during the WC, by both sexes, I have my doubts as to how much they are going relax the rules because it is the WC. Men and women should be covered from shoulders to knees according to their little flier.

I am not at all impressed by Qatar 'winning' the bid.
Then it's time that, "We, The People" made our voices heard to the FIFA authorities.

I will look into this myself. Should I find anything substantive and worth sharing, I will post it right here in this thread.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Unless "We, The People" have enough brown envelopes to give FIFA they couldn't care less =)

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Apparently those laws will be relaxed for the duration of the WC.. that is if any fans even want to travel in the ridiculous 50C temperatures that will greet them there!
Yeah.....um......I can just picture the streets of Qatar flowing with scantily clad women and liquored up football fans.

100% not joking when I say that's the sort of thing that leads to car-bombings and gunfire.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Unless "We, The People" have enough brown envelopes to give FIFA they couldn't care less =)
FIFA is just like the UN and the olympic comitteee......payoffs and bribery are just part of the landscape.

The big irony of course is that they bribe to get it because they want the spotlight and prestige.....but if they muck it up and it turns into an unbearable mess? Then they make arses of themselves on an international stage.

Good luck with that Qatar.....you can't buy your way out of fudging up the world cup if that's how it goes down.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
FIFA is just like the UN and the olympic comitteee......payoffs and bribery are just part of the landscape.

The big irony of course is that they bribe to get it because they want the spotlight and prestige.....but if they muck it up and it turns into an unbearable mess? Then they make arses of themselves on an international stage.

Good luck with that Qatar.....you can't buy your way out of fudging up the world cup if that's how it goes down.
The World Cup is such a beautiful world stage event regardless of who loses or wins.

It's a brief moment in humanity wherein diverse people come together for nothing more than the thrill of competative sport.

It's a time in which - for the most - humanity gathers for a brief yet joyous moment of conviviality in the absence of politics and religion. Let's hope it stays that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer