Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:28 PM

632 posts, read 748,843 times

Advertisements

OP is guilty of exceeding all allowable limits for for use of trolling stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 06:43 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring Flipper View Post

Here in Florence SC, there is a bar with a sign in the door that reads "members only". Despite being right in the middle of town in a mixed area, there are no black people in this bar. When I was told about the existence of this place, I was told (by another white person) not to worry about the sign and just walk right in. Now ask yourself... what do you think that sign means down here?

Yes most people are exceptionally nice down here, especially compared to the northeast. There is definitely such a thing as southern hospitality, but you will absolutely run into racists here and elsewhere in the south. As a white person, I get to hear the things that white people say when black people aren't around, and I assure you that sometimes some very different conversations take place.

It's not unique to SC. Check out a place called Wildman's Civil War Surplus in Kennesaw, GA on Google. There is a sign over the front door, visible from Google street maps, that says, "White History Year". I've traveled and lived all over the US (I currently live in SC) and this kind of crap only exists here.

Sorry southerners, but ya'll are racist af.

Remember that racism is taught. We are not born to hate. And kids are taught a lot of their values from their parents, who were taught by their parents, etc. all the way back to when black people were property.
I'm a white person who grew up in the south, and I never hear other white people say racist things.

I would think a sign a bar that says 'members only' is a members only business, like a members only gym or tennis facility. What is the name of this bar in Florence?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Members only means they don’t have to follow all the ABC rules. If your establishment is public, the rules are stricter. Private means they can serve later, smoking can be permitted etc......

Old 11-14-2017, 12:09 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
To be honest, Clemson's biggest racial issue is a lack of minorities outside of athletics and graduate engineering students. A lot of people take issue with a perceived lack of sensitivity when the problem has typically been Clemson not attracting the same number of minority students as other SC schools. If you look at population distribution in the state and Clemson's stronger majors you will see that it is further away from where most black students live and has some very white/Asian skewing majors. The school has tried really hard to recruit more minorities but it has been a little bit of a chicken and egg scenario. When kids visit they either do or do not mind being in a smaller minority than at other schools.

Its also 2 hours from Atlanta and 2 1/2 hours from Columbia which boast larger minority populations and are more urban. I went to Clemson for my major and not because of any attraction to a rural setting- and 20 years ago it felt more rural than now.

As far as racism in the stricter sense- basically an issue of same a**holes different town. There are really no more and no less than you'll see in other areas. The one quirk being it is in a fairly conservative portion of the state. So given the breakdown in race and urban/rural, southern/coastal voting preference someone used to a more liberal environment will definitely feel a little out of place regardless of race.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
To be honest, Clemson's biggest racial issue is a lack of minorities outside of athletics and graduate engineering students. A lot of people take issue with a perceived lack of sensitivity when the problem has typically been Clemson not attracting the same number of minority students as other SC schools. If you look at population distribution in the state and Clemson's stronger majors you will see that it is further away from where most black students live and has some very white/Asian skewing majors. The school has tried really hard to recruit more minorities but it has been a little bit of a chicken and egg scenario. When kids visit they either do or do not mind being in a smaller minority than at other schools.

Its also 2 hours from Atlanta and 2 1/2 hours from Columbia which boast larger minority populations and are more urban. I went to Clemson for my major and not because of any attraction to a rural setting- and 20 years ago it felt more rural than now.

As far as racism in the stricter sense- basically an issue of same a**holes different town. There are really no more and no less than you'll see in other areas. The one quirk being it is in a fairly conservative portion of the state. So given the breakdown in race and urban/rural, southern/coastal voting preference someone used to a more liberal environment will definitely feel a little out of place regardless of race.
It is not far from Greenville which has a fairly large ethnic population, I'm one. I hate the word minority as we aren't minor. It is also fairly urban itself. Greenville county has 500k people. More than any other county in SC.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,180 times
I am a Clemson student (see my username). Most of the stuff is bs. Its the dozen altright/kkk cowards versus the dozen antifa/communist cowards and most everybody else doesnt give a hoot. Most of both the left and right on campus cant stand either group. Its just a fun college town - study, watch ball, and about half get drunk.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

Clemson is the most selective school in the state. It puts a lot of emphasis on GPA and AP classes and SAT scores. So I wouldn't assume that it isn't attracting a lot of minority applicants, it is just more difficult to get accepted there. I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson has more black students than Georgia Tech which is located in the heart of Atlanta, given G Tech is even more selective than Clemson, because it is smaller yet in a more populated state.

The most represented high school at Clemson is typically Wando HIgh School in Mount Pleasant, which is a high school on the far end of the state. 2/3rds of the in state students are not from the Upstate, and 37 percent or so are from out of state.

Given a student at Clemson is around 23,000 other young people, I wouldn't describe the college experience at Clemson as rural in nature. It is the 2nd largest university in the state. There is always something going on and I think it is more exciting place to go to college than attending a smaller university in a more urban area.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-14-2017 at 06:20 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygertiger View Post
I am a Clemson student (see my username). Most of the stuff is bs. Its the dozen altright/kkk cowards versus the dozen antifa/communist cowards and most everybody else doesnt give a hoot. Most of both the left and right on campus cant stand either group. Its just a fun college town - study, watch ball, and about half get drunk.
I'd be surprised if there are any alt-right/ KKK students at Clemson. There have been a lot of race hoaxes on college campuses the past 20 years or so. I think that banana incident last year was likely a hoax. Just last week, a college student at Kansas State vandalized his own car with racist grafitti and was busted.

Kids that achieve the high GPA and good SAT score needed to get into Clemson generally aren't going to be racist. I think the profile of a white racist would generally be a person who didn't do well in school.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:25 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Clemson is the most selective school in the state. It puts a lot of emphasis on GPA and AP classes and SAT scores. So I wouldn't assume that it isn't attracting a lot of minority applicants, it is just more difficult to get accepted there. I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson has more black students than Georgia Tech which is located in the heart of Atlanta, given G Tech is even more selective than Clemson, because it is smaller yet in a more populated state.

The most represented high school at Clemson is typically Wando HIgh School in Mount Pleasant, which is a high school on the far end of the state. 2/3rds of the in state students are not from the Upstate, and 37 percent or so are from out of state.

Given a student at Clemson is around 23,000 other young people, I wouldn't describe the college experience at Clemson as rural in nature. It is the 2nd largest university in the state. There is always something going on and I think it is more exciting place to go to college than attending a smaller university in a more urban area.
This sounds like you're saying blacks aren't smart enough to be interested in Clemson. I'll take an academic challenge with you to prove that theory wrong.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
This sounds like you're saying blacks aren't smart enough to be interested in Clemson. I'll take an academic challenge with you to prove that theory wrong.
That's not what I'm saying. I am saying Clemson is a selective college and many students of all races don't get in.

I don't believe most of the students that don't get into Clemson are bad students. I got in with a 3.2 GPA in high school and an ok but not great SAT score. It is much more selective now so I probably wouldn't get in today. Many of the best college students didn't do that great in high school due to immaturity or because they couldn't focus on their interest. That is why I think selectivity is a silly way to rank colleges.

Keep in mind that even though Clemson may have a lower percentage of black students than other colleges in the state, it is the 2nd largest college in SC, so there could be more black students at Clemson in number than at a small college with a higher percentage.

My comments were in response to a person saying that Clemson isn't attracting many black students.

I had two black friends at Clemson, one grew up in Orangeburg and one grew up in Chester. I don't think being in a rural location has anything to do with percentage of black students at Clemson. Some students of every race prefer a small college town, some prefer more urban location.

I'm surprised you had a problem with my comments but not the person who said Clemson has 'some very white/Asian skewing majors'. I personally don't view majors in term of race.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-14-2017 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina